Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 25, 2024, 07:48:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster 1200S exhaust pop problem  (Read 2242 times)
JDIRECTORJ

« on: September 28, 2017, 10:26:53 PM »

Hello,

So I've been having an issue with excessive popping coming from my exhaust. I have a 2014 monster 1200s with termi tips.

I brought it to a local garage, they said they would reseal the exhaust. They did (twice) and when I picked it up the second time the garage pointed out that they noticed air coming out of the mid pipe and the seal is as good as they can get it.

I then brought it to an actual dealer. They said they checked it out and test drove it and said it was fine... Which I'm skeptical about.

I'm not an expert at this but I have a few questions. I have a feeling the techs didn't properly check my bike...

1 - What does a monster 1200s exhaust look like and how many separate parts are there? There is a separate header pipe, mid pipe, then exhaust cans, right? I got a snarky remark that the only place my exhaust can leak is from the mid pipe to the muffler. Is that correct? What about the headers to the mid pipe?

2 - Can this be related to the O2 censor?

3 - Can this be a mapping issue? When I boot it up it does say racing.

4 - Anyone deal with ducati NYC? If they know someone who really cares about customer service would be nice.

This is the email I got back from ducati NYC service manager when I expressed that there could be other places the pipe can leak from....

Service manager: These guys looked at me like I had 10 heads when I told them that story....  There is one place your exhaust can leak from and that's where the muffler attaches to the mid pipe... and it's not. NO clue what they sealed or saw but we can't identify any problems.

Please help! I'm going to pickup my bike in a day and I feel like if I'm not prepared, I'm going to lose out.

Thanks in advance.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 03:59:58 AM »

Short ride from NYC, Hudson Valley Motorcycles 

http://www.hudsonvalleymotorcycles.com

Speak to Steve.

Yes, it can be leaking from any connection or it can be mapping.  With or without DB killers?  Slip-ons or full exhaust?  Without popping is more likely.  Also, if it is a mapping problem the cure won't be cheap.  Keep in mind excessive is a relative term.  My neighbor across the street has a V Rod with open pipes.  Open and close the throttle quickly, KABOOM!  Ride normally and roll off the throttle, fine.
ljsmonster

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 09:46:34 AM »

I had a backfiring problem during closed throttle de-acceleration with my 2005 620.  At first, I thought that it was an exhaust leak.  Later I noticed that it happened about the same rpm in any gear.  This made me suspect that it was a fuel mixture issue.  I purchased a Power Commander iii USB and installed a map that richens the mixture at closed throttle.  Problem solved!  Go to fuelmottousa.com for the best price and it includes a custom map according to your bike, modifications and needs.
EEL

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 07:16:14 AM »

Get the TPS reset and any lingering adaptive parameters reset. That was my problem and it was a relatively cheap fix. About 90 bucks of dealer time (45 mins)
EEL

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 07:07:18 AM »

I'll kind of explain further.

The TPS establishes the zero throttle position. This is very important in the ignition timing. If you bike's ECU is thinking that its not at zero when it is infact at zero, your sparkplugs wont fire at the right time and you'll get high idle and popping. Trust me, give this a shot first. I went thru the same rexxer flash issues with popping on decel for my 1100 EVO. I thought it was fueling, plugs, airbox mods, exhaust leaks, etc when I should have just started with a TPS and adaptive parameters reset.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: