Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 28, 2024, 09:24:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 584   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GUN STUFF  (Read 841903 times)
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #3855 on: September 26, 2012, 06:41:58 PM »

Correct.

It's got a 9mm ramped bolt- so you can use a standard AR hammer, also.  All of the purpose built 9mm's (RRA, Bushmaster, etc) are blowback.  I haven't seen a DI 9mm.

The only issue I've heard is to use a 9mm or H3 buffer, although the AR guy at my local range said to start with an H and work up.....

Edit: I would gladly spend another $200 for a happy switch, if I could.

Gotcha.  You can't have a gas 9mm if you're going to run it with a can.  The bolt will barely move.  I've "heard" of someone making an ultralight bolt that was adapted from a Daewoo -- about half the weight -- with a lighter recoil spring, but never saw it.  There just isn't enough gas to sap to move the bolt.

I have a shorty AR in 7.62 Tokarev which is blowback.  Love it.  No can, and if I want ss loads, I'll have to do it myself, but it really is satisfying to shoot.  Tok is very hot and even with a 10" barrel it gets close to 1600 fps at the muzzle.  They made it for both pistol and the PPS 16" barrel, so they had to split the difference in the powder -- it seems to like the 10" barrel most of all.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
stateprez

« Reply #3856 on: September 26, 2012, 07:23:08 PM »

Gotcha.  You can't have a gas 9mm if you're going to run it with a can.  The bolt will barely move.  I've "heard" of someone making an ultralight bolt that was adapted from a Daewoo -- about half the weight -- with a lighter recoil spring, but never saw it.  There just isn't enough gas to sap to move the bolt.
What would be the point, anyway?  Cleaner, quieter?  I wouldn't imagine it would improve reliability at least for semi-auto.

What's the recoil like on the 7.62?  Close to 9mm +P?

'03 999 Mono
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #3857 on: September 26, 2012, 07:31:56 PM »

What would be the point, anyway?  Cleaner, quieter?  I wouldn't imagine it would improve reliability at least for semi-auto.

What's the recoil like on the 7.62?  Close to 9mm +P?

Well... with a gas system you can arguably tune the gas flow a bit, as on a FAL.  Instead of designing a hard-built gas system, you make it so it saps the max amount of gas for pressure and then use something like the FAL gas plug which has 3 or 4 settings.  Sort of an indirect rate of fire control in full auto. 

It's not cleaner for sure esp with the AR DI system.  Maybe quieter because youre sapping some of the muzzle gas off.  But I think the main advantage is rate of fire control, if you design it that way.

It's hard to say because I've never fired a 9mm AR and haven't fired the Tok in a pistol.  I had this shorty AR made up just for Tok ammo, and recoil is very manageable.  It's pretty damn loud though, noticeable louder than pistols in 9mm or 40. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
stateprez

« Reply #3858 on: September 26, 2012, 07:47:19 PM »

Interesting stuff.  I guess when I find a f/a receiver for my Saiga, I can finally use the other gas setting....

'03 999 Mono
Adamm0621

« Reply #3859 on: September 26, 2012, 07:50:29 PM »

I haven't posted to this thread for a while, so I figured I'd drop in and show you my new toys.

Beretta PX4 Storm, 40 S&W.  I've had this gun for a while now, but I still love it.

Taurus Judge Public Defender Polymer, 45 LC & .410 GA.  This is my baby!!!  I traded in my S&W 38 Special for this back in March.

Remington 887 NitroMag Tactical 12 GA Pump.  It's a shitty picture, but the gun is great.

Sig Sauer M400 SRP w/3x scope.  The Sig was my latest purchase.  I was hoping to build my own, but damn near everywhere is out of stock for kits.  I ended up buying this one instead.  The first picture is how it looked out of the box.  The second picture was after I finished putting all of the Magpul "candy" on.

The arsenal is complete!!! Zombie what??? Zombie PLEASE!!!

2010 Monster 696 Dark
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #3860 on: September 26, 2012, 08:14:11 PM »

Interesting stuff.  I guess when I find a f/a receiver for my Saiga, I can finally use the other gas setting....

Check out Tony Rumore's stuff at Tromix.

He used to do a lot of AK rifle builds, but now mostly does Saiga conversions.  Lots of fun stuff.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:23:57 PM by ducatiz » Logged

stateprez

« Reply #3861 on: September 26, 2012, 08:53:47 PM »

Check out Tony Rumore's stuff at Tromix.

He used to do a lot of AK rifle builds, but now mostly does Saiga conversions.  Lots of fun stuff.
Yeah, he's backlogged 2 years...I think they all are, Arizona Armory, RJF.  There's a sticky how-to thread on the Saiga forum about how to chop and crown barrel without a lathe, more specifically with a hacksaw and a dremel.

I abandoned mine- figured NFA wasn't a good idea for personal defense anyway (not to start that conversation).

'03 999 Mono
fastwin
She pointed and laughed at my

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #3862 on: September 27, 2012, 08:36:18 AM »

With all do respect to the flounders Grin I think just stating NFA law facts should be OK. Just don't get into any heated discussions about gun laws. Saying you got a speeding ticket for 10mph over is one thing just don't start a pregnant dog session about traffic laws. Nate... correct me if I am wrong here. We all need to stay within the striped zone on that issue. waytogo

This is a great non-moto/gun thread. Lots of good info from members. Let's keep it that way. popcorn

I plan to list the Federal Gov't. as a dependent on my next 1040 tax filing!

I have flying honey badgers and I'm not afraid to use them!

The fact that flame throwers exist is proof that someone somewhere said "I'd sure like to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

CONFIDENCE: the feeling you have right before you understand the situation.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3863 on: September 27, 2012, 08:48:33 AM »

With all do respect to the flounders Grin I think just stating NFA law facts should be OK. Just don't get into any heated discussions about gun laws. Saying you got a speeding ticket for 10mph over is one thing just don't start a pregnant dog session about traffic laws. Nate... correct me if I am wrong here. We all need to stay within the striped zone on that issue. waytogo

This is a great non-moto/gun thread. Lots of good info from members. Let's keep it that way. popcorn
If it stays at one statement it's fine.

The first question, or comment regarding that statement becomes discussion. It doesn't necessarily have to be negative or a 'pregnant dog session'. The first comment becomes the next...etc. It simply never does not elicit a response. If you notice, I did not comment about the poster mentioning two tax stamps. It was the subsequent question/comment that elicited my response.

In light of that my standard response is 'we just don't do it'. This is after all a moto forum and there are plenty of places on the net to discuss RKBA and gun law.

Keep in mind, and I think everyone that participates in this thread knows, I am not anti gun. Quite the contrary

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #3864 on: September 27, 2012, 09:48:31 AM »

I guess from my point of view, I like being able to ask questions and discuss things here because I have a familiarity with the people that participate in this thread and I know I'll get good answers if I ask a question.

The extent of my firearm knowledge doesn't go too far so this is a nice place to ask and learn.

The law related questions and discussions I have taken directly to PM with folks.  But, as you know, PM is sooooo many more clicks to ask a question.

Grin

Wink

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
stateprez

« Reply #3865 on: September 27, 2012, 11:05:20 AM »

Yeah, I was more making a statement about public opinion with respect to NFA rather than law.  I just like to err on the side of caution.

Long live the gun thread.

'03 999 Mono
fastwin
She pointed and laughed at my

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #3866 on: September 27, 2012, 04:08:58 PM »

waytogo Wink popcorn

I plan to list the Federal Gov't. as a dependent on my next 1040 tax filing!

I have flying honey badgers and I'm not afraid to use them!

The fact that flame throwers exist is proof that someone somewhere said "I'd sure like to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

CONFIDENCE: the feeling you have right before you understand the situation.
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #3867 on: September 28, 2012, 03:39:52 AM »

Pretty neat how the gasses twist over on the left

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #3868 on: September 28, 2012, 04:23:41 AM »

I've always wanted a cotton candy gun

RAT900
Post Whore

« Reply #3869 on: September 28, 2012, 05:09:21 AM »

laughingdp

This is an insult to the Pez community
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 584   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: