Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 14, 2024, 09:16:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling the Multi... should I... anybody wanna buy?  (Read 6629 times)
ryandalling

Trade you my milk for your Ducati...

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 10:36:36 AM »

Craigslist people are silly.

Confused rider who doesn't know what he is even riding at the moment. (2012 URAL GearUp, 2012 Ninja 250 Racer, 1969 CB175 Racer)
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 10:57:24 AM »

Craigslist people are silly.

Do tell...

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
duc_fan

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 12:32:48 PM »

Sooooo... talked with Erica about this, because I wasn't being entirely rational.  Wink

Wifey is really not big on the idea of using a temporary loan.  She'd be more open to it, except we have other payments to make, debts to clear.  She's right, I just needed the reality check.  New sectional couch and washer/dryer on 12-month no-interest plans (that need to get paid off in less than 12 months or we face some pretty gnarly interest).  Plus some nagging credit card debt that is driving me crazy and keeping me awake at night.  I was one of those guys who always paid balances in full, never paid interest.  I was laid off last spring, used the CapitalOne card as my emergency fund (had a really low fixed rate).  Met Erica, and before I had the card paid back off, I was buying her a ring... so that was partly paid with cash, part credit.  In all the wedding planning, I forgot that I needed to buy my own ring, so that was all credit.  Then the honeymoon was partly my tax refund, and part credit.  Plus, when Congress passed that consumer credit act they left a godawful amount of time for the card companies to screw us before it took effect, so CapitalOne responded by jacking my rate from 8.9% fixed to 16.9% variable.  bang head  Scheisse... that credit balance has got to go away.  I transferred it to a lower-rate US Bank card, but it's still not cheap.

I'm not even gonna go into the student loans that I'm still paying on.  Suffice it to say that they exist, and they're a significant chunk of my budget.

The bike will be sold and the car will be sold... that will pay off the credit card and leave a bit left over.  I will sleep a helluva lot more soundly once that happens.  Then I will be putting money in savings toward a replacement moto.  At that time, with no other revolving debt bothering me, I'd be willing to consider a fixed-rate vehicle loan, if the rate is low enough.

My wife had a valid concern: if I take out this "temporary" loan, but either the bike or the car doesn't sell in short order, I'm going to have that added debt hanging over my head and giving me even more sleepless nights.  I really, really, really hate debt.  Need to get rid of the toxic revolving crap first, because I'll feel a helluva lot better, and will then be in a position to buy a replacement moto with a clear conscience.  I'm not big on having a loan on a toy, but with moving to someplace rent-free next year, I'll be able to pay it off quickly (and it won't be as much of a "toy" when I'm using it to commute regularly).

On the positive side... let's say Ryan sells the Multi and gets his asking price... that's more money in his pocket.  Also, if I can get the vehicles sold, then I'll be in a position to look for a bike this winter and take advantage of any end-of-year deals, or possibly find someone trying to sell in the off-season.  I'd love to have Ryan's ultra-low-mileage example, and I know I want all 3 luggage cases on whatever I buy... I just really need to get my two vehicles sold and get rid of revolving credit first.  If this bike is supposed to happen, it will.  If not... someone else will buy it and Ryan's bank account will be fuller for it.  No worries either way.  Smiley

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

scott_araujo

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »

Do what you've got to do Dan, but get something.  You can get a CB in decent shape for $1k.  That way at least you can get your fix in when you need it.  Over the past ten years I've had bikes and been without.  So long as I can ride, I don't ever want to be without a bike again.  It's the only thing that takes the edge off a really crumby day, and every day at work lately is one of those.

Scott
duc_fan

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 09:37:53 AM »

Do what you've got to do Dan, but get something.  You can get a CB in decent shape for $1k.  That way at least you can get your fix in when you need it.  Over the past ten years I've had bikes and been without.  So long as I can ride, I don't ever want to be without a bike again.  It's the only thing that takes the edge off a really crumby day, and every day at work lately is one of those.

Scott

I know.  Doing without is gonna suck.  I've kicked around the idea of taking a small part of the proceeds and buying something like a beater dual-sport thumper as an interim bike.  We will see.  I may also use the time to fix the fuel issues in the family Honda CL175.  It's only good to ~55mph on the stock trials tires, but it's 2 wheels and will go places (and it gets some absurd mileage... 75-80 mpg according to Dad).

Or... I can always beg a ride from one of my brothers.  Evil

GAAN
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 11:19:50 AM »

Febuary seems to be the month to wander into Motocorsa with a wad of cash
scott_araujo

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 11:21:54 AM »

Not just MC, any moto dealer.

Dan, didn't the last borrowing of a bike in your family result in a track bike project candidate?  I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.  Wink

Scott
duc_fan

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 03:02:04 PM »

Dan, didn't the last borrowing of a bike in your family result in a track bike project candidate?  I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.  Wink

I shouldn't laugh, but...  laughingdp

Now that I think about it, thus far I am the only person in the family to borrow both CBRs without crashing or dropping either of them... knock on wood.

scott_araujo

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 04:03:20 PM »

No you should laugh.  It was not at all mean spirited but I almost didn't post that.  Didn't want to hurt any feelings, but I guess I got it right.  Smiley

Scott
duc_fan

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 01:06:22 PM »

Oh... ya know, if I was desperate to ride... I still have a share in that '05 CBR 600RR trackbike.  It still lacks fairings and an official bracket for the instrument cluster (which is zip-tied in place right now), but otherwise it runs and rides.

I could throw some rudimentary lighting on it, license it, insure it, and ride it.  I wonder how much that would cost?  It's ugly as sin sans fairings, but it's a motorcycle.  Heck, the poor thing needs to see some use anyway.

ryandalling

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 01:56:56 PM »

Dude shorter than chuck wanted it, but wasn't tall enough... Then a couple of scam artists... Who wanted to overpay with a check and then have me pay a moving company to deliver it with cash out of my pocket... Maybe I don't sell it and just ride to Canada and get some real usage out of it.... Geesh

Confused rider who doesn't know what he is even riding at the moment. (2012 URAL GearUp, 2012 Ninja 250 Racer, 1969 CB175 Racer)
scott_araujo

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 03:08:05 PM »

This goes to my whole, "You buy the bike at full price cash and you have one hour to return it for full refund if undamaged and you don't like it" theory.  No test rides, no messing about.  I got no time for your games.  Hope you get some more serious buyers soon.  Or Dan realizes a little debt to sooth the soul is ok Wink

Scott
duc_fan

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 09:44:31 AM »

Crap, sorry to hear about the hassles Ryan.

My wife and I have been seriously tempted by the temporary loan and other ideas... especially as the posted price has dropped.  But... I really, really gotta get rid of this credit card debt first.  It is driving me farking nuts.  With no guarantee about how quickly the SS will be sold, I don't want to end up with $10k in debt still there and a new loan on top of it.  All the trouble getting the Multi sold is not giving me confidence in listing on CL.  Now I'm wondering if I should go ask MotoCorsa how much their consignment fee is, and whether they're willing to take mine (or... if they'd want to just buy it from me).

In other news... I got the chain and sprockets yesterday.  Gonna be doing that, an oil change, and a good cleaning this Saturday.  The 900SS gets listed this weekend.

I still need to order the ABS cable for my '98 GTI, get that replaced, get it cleaned, and get it listed too.  I'd have to talk with Erica, but I might be willing to take out a loan for the Multi as soon as one of them sells, and not wait for both of them to go down the road.  I still have no idea how long it'll take to move either of them, though.

ryandalling

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2010, 10:11:51 AM »

Chatted with motocorsa and they said it should sell easily at ten or ten.five.... Just to be patient.... They had some funny stories and a thrashed salvage multistrada in the used side.

duc_fan

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2010, 10:25:25 AM »

Yeah, from the looking I've done on CL and cycletrader, ten-five is a totally fair price.  There's one yahoo with a red one with 3000 miles and no luggage who wants north of $11k... he's nuts.  I think yours could have gone for $11k to the right buyer since it has all three bags (not cheap parts)... $10.5k is a completely reasonable asking price considering the equipment and absurdly low mileage.

I also saw a used, salvage Multi for $6k.  Not sure I want to mess with that... then again, I am going to be moving out to the boondocks, and using it on an unpaved road regularly.  Maybe a salvage-title bike with a sump guard and some Pelican cases is in order?  (NOTE: that's not a serious question... I'm just pondering out loud)

In all seriousness, if I get vehicles sold before yours goes, I'll buy it.  If it moves before then, especially if you can get more money for it, it's that much better for you.  I'm not worried about it... there are nine hundred zillion options for used bikes.  And... part of me is still wondering if a shaft-drive GS Adventure wouldn't be better for the environment I'm in now, and the one I'm moving to next year.  Or a cheaper Suzuki DL1000 (something I really don't care about dropping on gravel).  Anyway... I'm just gonna go with whatever happens.  However it works out, it'll work out the way it's all supposed to.  waytogo

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: