Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 01:08:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Corkscrew, by Stoner  (Read 7628 times)
Grampa
I am Sofa King
Post Whore

idiot sans savant.

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 05:22:46 PM »

I took the Rossi line my first time around unassisted   Shocked

once you are set up for the right side turn.... you can get on the gas early.

nobody ever mentions it..... but turn 11 is the tricky one. It's a slow corner but it suckers you into to thinking you can do it fast.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 05:24:40 PM by bobspapa » Logged

Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar kicked me out of the band..... they said I didnt fit the image they were trying to project. 

So I went solo.  -Me

Some people call 911..... some people are 911
-Marcus Luttrell
DoubleEagle

" If you are unafraid you will be safe "

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 05:24:40 PM »

It isn't legal to go off the track and gain an advantage.

Rossi was ahead of Stoner when he entered the corner though, prior to going off track, so no advantage was gained.

Thank you for that explanation Triple J.

Makes sense to me now.

Dolph      Smiley    

'08 Ducati 1098 R    '09 BMW K 1300 GT   '10 BMW S 1000 RR

Shortest sentence...." I am "   Longest sentence ... " I Do "
derby

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 08:44:21 PM »

Utube has disabled the video.

only disabled embedding.. just right-click > watch on youtube.

-- derby

'07 Suz GSX-R750

Retired rides: '05 Duc Monster S4R, '99 Yam YZF-R1, '98 Hon CBR600F3, '97 Suz GSX-R750, '96 Hon CBR600F3, '94 Hon CBR600F2, '91 Hon Hawk GT, '91 Yam YSR-50, '87 Yam YSR-50

click here for info about my avatar
avizpls
TECH

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2010, 06:59:12 AM »

Thank you for that explanation Triple J.

Makes sense to me now.

Dolph      Smiley    

but he wouldnt have been able to STAY ahead of stoner without doing what he did.

I thought then and I think now it was a bullshit move.

Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2010, 07:08:30 AM »

I'm with you, avixpls, but we're in the minority. 

By the majority's reasoning, you can straightline the corkscrew every time as a means of passing.  If you're behind someone, aim for the dirst and don't brake completely.  That way you'll jump ahead of them before the first apex.  Then you're free to run through the dirt and get back on the track at the bottom.   Then again, that'll kill your drive out, but apparently, it's an A-OK move.  I've never thought so, but we've already beaten the topic to death in a million other threads. 

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
Blue
Oh no, not another

2000 M900ie Dark

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2010, 07:15:11 AM »

Here is how they did it in the old days.
The corkscrew is around the 1 minute mark with a lap around the track to follow.
I am a big vintage superbike fan!
ヨシムラ YOSHIMURA    SUPERBIKERS 2
Triple J
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2010, 07:19:03 AM »

but he wouldnt have been able to STAY ahead of stoner without doing what he did.

I thought then and I think now it was a bullshit move.

IIRC, when he came back on track he was side-by-side with Stoner though...so he actually lost ground with the move. However, he pushed Stoner wide so he couldn't get a good drive out either (which is common on a LOT of moto passes, not just this one). Therefore, it was an OK move.

It was close for sure...but he didn't intentionally cut a corner to get ahead, and he didn't gain any ground (intentional move or not), so it was deemed OK I guess.

It has been beat to death like Spidey said. However, it is THE moment when Rossi firmly planted himself in Stoner's head.  laughingdp
Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2010, 07:23:19 AM »

Yup.  And now Rossi dangles Stoner's twig and berries from his rearview mirror like an airfreshener. 

That vid is neat, Blue.  I've never seen onboard video with the pre-1988 layout (without the 2-3-4-5 infield section).

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
Rameses
Local Moderator

*Your Mom* has a Hypermotard

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2010, 08:55:29 PM »

That is an awesome video.

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2010, 09:56:42 PM »

Here is how they did it in the old days.
The corkscrew is around the 1 minute mark with a lap around the track to follow.
I am a big vintage superbike fan!
ヨシムラ YOSHIMURA    SUPERBIKERS 2

I love it, commentary while you blow by other riders.  waytogo

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' face!“
NorDog
I don't feel like a

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2010, 11:32:56 AM »

I rode Laguna years ago.  The only thing I remember as vividly as the corkscrew was the turn that came next.  A long sweeping left hander with an off camber that would suck you out to the right side in a heart beat.  It still scares me thinking about lo these many years later.

A man in passion rides a mad horse. -- Ben Franklin

FastAndLight

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2010, 06:11:33 AM »

Those are some fantastic videos.  I guess I need to watch more motogp!  Hearing all of this makes me anxious to get on a track, but fearful that I'd start off doing the whole thing at about 30mph.   Roll Eyes

What the pros can do just amazes me.
BozcoRob

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2010, 09:24:36 AM »

Great Video, Blue. Thanks waytogo

Great to see the old Superbikes go through turn two and three as originally layed-out

Threadjack-

Regarding the "old"  track configuration. Bobby Rahal said (in 1983) that turn two had the highest
"pucker factor" of any turn they raced on - the suspension bottoming out at near top speed.

Sometimes, I wish they hadn't changed the layout for the FIA track length requirement.

More thread jacking - Announced attendance for this years Sunday Moto GP was a bit over 50,000.
The CART race in 1983 announced 68,000 IIRC (but I AM old)

Desmosedici - it's the new Paso (except the bodywork doesn't fit as well)
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2010, 06:58:25 AM »

This may be a Derby (though a search didn't find it), but I love this story of the origins of the Corkscrew -- according to Jerry Blair, the equipment operator who ran the dozer that cut the track's first pass, that was the only way he could get the bulldozer down the hill!

http://www.roadracerx.com/features/website-exclusive/the-man-behind-the-corkscrew-jerry-blair/

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: