Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 27, 2024, 09:20:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Biker arrested for videotaping officer story updated  (Read 11439 times)
J5

I'm here to fix zee fridge

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 06:14:46 PM »

hang on if MD is two party consent. then getting pulled over you can politely say, "i do not consent to being videotaped. please turn off the dash cam" ?

you can do that but unless you are being stupid and mouthing off then its in your best interest as it can be used in evidence

down here in aus they have had in car cams for quite a while , previously i am sure there was audio recording

if pulled over they advise you straight away that its all being recorded , use your repsonse as you see fit say thats awesome so now i can see it in court and make you look like an idiot Wink

afaik here they are constantly recording on a rolling 30 sec loop , if they hit the lights then it keeps the prev 30 seccs and contiues recording

have a look on youtube there is plenty around in different countries

funny thing it remids me , i had a mate who was working in a call centre and they recorded calls and you were advised of this and you had the option to deny recording

smartarse rings in and says no i dont want it recorded , ok recording off, doofus goes on and on , in the end my mate cracks it and gives it to him with both barrels

numnut says you can talk to me like that

oh yes i can since you decided you didnt want this conversation recorded  waytogo applause

i dont care if you have been a mechanic for 10 years doing something for a long time does not make you good at it, take my gf for an example shes been walking for 28 years and still manages to fall over all the time.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 12:50:13 AM »

Morning news just reported that the wiretapping and related charges were dropped. At least according to the news MD requires all parties to concent to recording a private conversation. But the officer did not have a reasonible expectation of privacy on the side of a busy highway, thus his permission to record the event was not needed

Traffic charges against the rider still stand

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 02:15:59 AM »

Morning news just reported that the wiretapping and related charges were dropped. At least according to the news MD requires all parties to concent to recording a private conversation. But the officer did not have a reasonible expectation of privacy on the side of a busy highway, thus his permission to record the event was not needed

Traffic charges against the rider still stand

Not to gloat, but that's exactly what I said would happen.  Now, I want to see the lawsuit against the cop and judge who signed the warrant for abuse of authority and false arrest/imprisonment. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 02:37:19 AM »

Not to gloat, but that's exactly what I said would happen.  Now, I want to see the lawsuit against the cop and judge who signed the warrant for abuse of authority and false arrest/imprisonment. 

unless he lost a job or serious income because of it...I seriously doubt you will see one...a judge would not have issued a search warrant unless they thought they had grounds...and under the impressions of charges being initially presented to the judge for to issue said warrant, it would have seemed reasonable for to do so...

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 03:08:27 AM »

They raided his house, took his computer and associated stuff (the Cam etc) and probably some other stuff under the wiretapping charge.

I'm thinking a wiretapping charge and a raid on the dudes house for posting something to youtube is rather overkill - and I'm John Q Public on this one

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
MongoReturns

I'm very busy

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 03:14:48 AM »

reasonable expectation of privacy...ack....lawschool flashbacks.....ack

2000Monster750Dark: cored pipes, stage2, 43t, f-18, dptach
2007 1098Red: home depot cooler guard, on sale cluch cover, on sale dp dark tall screen, ebay hugger, hand painted clutch spring caps
MongoReturns

I'm very busy

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 08:11:39 AM »

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2010/09/squid-defeats-thug-cop-in-landmark-recording-case/#more-10329

hahaha the term "squid" will never be un-funny to me.

2007 1098Red: home depot cooler guard, on sale cluch cover, on sale dp dark tall screen, ebay hugger, hand painted clutch spring caps
Veloce-Fino
Wiggle-Jiggle

Bike sold - But I'm still lurking.

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 08:56:34 AM »

Epic win for constitutional rights.

Is this thing on?
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 08:56:52 AM »

unless he lost a job or serious income because of it...I seriously doubt you will see one...a judge would not have issued a search warrant unless they thought they had grounds...and under the impressions of charges being initially presented to the judge for to issue said warrant, it would have seemed reasonable for to do so...

One doesn't need to show loss of income or a job to prevail in a case against a police officer for abuse of authority or wrongful arrest.

The judge will have had testimony regarding the circumstances and if he issued a warrant for such a situation, it is possible he too could be included.  A warrant should not have been issued -- that's the opinion of the court (and the state AG).  Just because you misunderstand the law doesn't give you a pass.  Even if the misunderstanding is 'reasonable' it doesn't absolve you of the negative affects of your action.

Wrongful arrest is actionable under federal law... 42 U.S.C. §1983. Don't have to show loss of income, etc, just have to show it was a wrongful arrest.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:53:06 AM by ducatiz » Logged

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
sbrguy

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 05:35:14 PM »

this guy will get nothing but a ticket and fines.  there is no judge alive that will let a case go forward against the  Police.
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2010, 02:25:09 AM »

this guy will get nothing but a ticket and fines.  there is no judge alive that will let a case go forward against the  Police.

Sorrell v. McGuigan, in the 4th Circuit (which covers Maryland) regards an officer arresting the individual under incorrect interpretation of law (i.e. length of a knife possessed -- Maryland has no length restriction for a folding knife).  The officer arrested Sorrell believing that Maryland had a 3" restriction on folding knives.  Sorrell sued and won.

In the present situation, the rider was perfectly within his rights to videotape and record the officer during a public stop.  The officer incorrectly interpreted the Maryland wiretap statute to require 2-party consent and obtained an arrest warrant based on that misinterpretation.

This has NOTHING to do with the stop and citation for speeding/stunting.  The officer was perfectly within his power to do so (although, there is still the question of force involved as he drew his gun without identifying himself, but I think there is leeway on that -- cops are armed for a reason).  This suit solely deals with what the cop did AFTER he left the scene and saw his face on youtube.

Iin Maryland, officers have qualified immunity.  As long as they are acting correctly under the aw, they can make mistakes, however, there is no immunity for acting incorrectly under the law.  In other words:  cops are expected to know the law.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 02:28:20 AM by ducatiz » Logged

zooom
wishing I had some colorful enough tights for my
Post Whore

when your gas is natural and has a name...

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2010, 02:38:58 AM »

Sorrell v. McGuigan, in the 4th Circuit (which covers Maryland) regards an officer arresting the individual under incorrect interpretation of law (i.e. length of a knife possessed -- Maryland has no length restriction for a folding knife).  The officer arrested Sorrell believing that Maryland had a 3" restriction on folding knives.  Sorrell sued and won.

In the present situation, the rider was perfectly within his rights to videotape and record the officer during a public stop.  The officer incorrectly interpreted the Maryland wiretap statute to require 2-party consent and obtained an arrest warrant based on that misinterpretation.

This has NOTHING to do with the stop and citation for speeding/stunting.  The officer was perfectly within his power to do so (although, there is still the question of force involved as he drew his gun without identifying himself, but I think there is leeway on that -- cops are armed for a reason).  This suit solely deals with what the cop did AFTER he left the scene and saw his face on youtube.

Iin Maryland, officers have qualified immunity.  As long as they are acting correctly under the aw, they can make mistakes, however, there is no immunity for acting incorrectly under the law.  In other words:  cops are expected to know the law.

okay...lets say this douchebag sues the state and MSP...what is to be gained?...for him, I think he is just as happy to pay his traffic citations and let this go happily away...he sold his CBR and said he isn't going to ride again...he has some sort of security clearance which means he can retain some level of decent work and pay his debts resulting from this(at least till his next backround investigation for renewal or upgrade of his clearance)...which, he is probably going to suffer his liscence being suspended or perhaps revoked for a period of time due to the nature and point accumulation of the traffic offenses for which MVA CAN make an example of him if the District Court shows no leniancy with him in court for the traffic offenses alone....so where does he gain from sueing the court and/or the MSP?

99 Cagiva Gran Canyon-"FOR SALE", PM for details.
98 Monster 900(trackpregnant dog-soon to be made my Fiancee's upgrade streetbike)
2010 KTM 990 SM-T
ducatiz
Post Whore

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2010, 03:32:12 AM »

okay...lets say this douchebag sues the state and MSP...what is to be gained?...for him, I think he is just as happy to pay his traffic citations and let this go happily away...he sold his CBR and said he isn't going to ride again...he has some sort of security clearance which means he can retain some level of decent work and pay his debts resulting from this(at least till his next backround investigation for renewal or upgrade of his clearance)...which, he is probably going to suffer his liscence being suspended or perhaps revoked for a period of time due to the nature and point accumulation of the traffic offenses for which MVA CAN make an example of him if the District Court shows no leniancy with him in court for the traffic offenses alone....so where does he gain from sueing the court and/or the MSP?

let me turn it around on to you:  let's say you were arrested for something either that you didn't do or it wasn't against the law.  cops come into your house with a warrant, take your stuff, arrest and book you.  you sit in jail for a day until your family hires an attorney.  you miss a few days of work, all your computer stuff is locked up at the police station, and now you have to explain to people why you were arrested.

roll forward a few months and OOOPS it turns out they screwed up big -- you shouldn't have been arrested, and no, you actually did not do anything wrong.  in fact, what you did was 100% ok.

now, are you telling me you wouldn't want someone to pay?  i don't mean necessarily money.  if it was me, i'd want to take a crowbar to the guy's head, but i'm an attorney, not a "goodfellah" so i go to court. 

the law provides damages to people who are arrested in this manner (in the present case).  why pass the law unless there is a reason for it?  the reason is simple:  the police make mistakes and we do whatever we can to excuse mistakes, but when they intentionally do their job wrong, or misinterpret the law, we have to make people right.  we can't give this guy his dignity back (i.e. being treated like a criminal when he isn't one) but we can allow him to exact some kind of punitive damages against those who overstepped their authority.

and just because the rider is a douchebag doesn't mean he doesn't have rights or should be treated like a criminal.  sure, ticket him and maybe impound his bike.  take his license.  but arrest and 16 years in prison?  being charged like that would age me a few years, i would want retribution (which is totally proper in our legal system)>

Ahks
Modest with his

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2010, 03:46:35 AM »

And since when is it OK for a LEO to pull is sidearm on someone that isn't and immediate threat. It's not like he had the right to shoot the McSquiddy if he rode away. It should have never left his holster. A hand on the gun in the holster is as far as that should have gone. Identifying himself as a LEO about 3 or 4 seconds faster would have been nice too. Fkn cop is lucky the dude didn't panic when he saw the gun pointed at him.
we can't give this guy his dignity back (i.e. being treated like a criminal when he isn't one)
I've only ever been in a holding cell for a few hours at a time... Not having a door on your crapper is the most demoralizing thing I've ever been thru...
MongoReturns

I'm very busy

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2010, 03:58:27 AM »

This seems too easy (i'm certainly no crim atty) but how about a nice demand letter saying he'll sue unless the traffic charges are dropped?  Hmmm that seems improper somehow... Or sue then settle for the charges being dropped.  A felony (guessing 140mph qualifies as that in MD) is a big problem for security clearances.

The guy totally needs an atty to talk to the DA.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: