Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 01:04:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: @ Gene  (Read 3087 times)
elasticjoe

2010 848 Dark

« on: August 19, 2010, 05:30:11 PM »

Hey I'm looking at picking up a new car, and want something that will be competitive at autox and a good/fun daily driver.  Looking at a Mazda RX-8 and a Subaru WRX the Mazda I've actually negotiated a better deal on due to year end at 23k and the 2011 Subaru is like 26k.  Other suggestions are welcome too but that's the two I've been cross shopping right now.

Nate
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 06:08:20 PM »

Currently we have only one RX-8 and lots of Subarus (mostly STis) running at Aloha Stadium, so that should give you an idea of what's popular here in Hawaii.

The RX-8 is light and handles well, but has no torque to speak of, which is nice to have when autoxing...unless you're an experienced driver and are adept at carrying speed through corners.

The Subarus have lot's of torque but are heavy and don't handle as well and tend to understeer...once you master driving the AWD and fit some big tires (up to 285s will fit), they are competitive...don't know about the 2011s, but the 2010 WRX purportedly handled better that it's big brother, the STi.

The most popular cars here are Miatas, mostly older ones though...light, handle well and are a blast to drive.

If you could afford a GT3, that would be the car to get... Grin

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
elasticjoe

2010 848 Dark

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 06:12:33 PM »

Yeah I'm test driving an RX-8 soon, the price has me curious.  I test drove a WRX and an STI but the STI just didn't blow me away for the 10k price difference.  I remember the few times I ran in Hawaii the Miatas being everywhere, but I couldn't live with a Miata everyday and I can't afford a Boxster much less a GT3  Roll Eyes.

The 2011 WRX is the same engine but has the wide body of the STI and bigger wheels they're are 8 inches now instead of 7.
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 08:14:55 PM »

Yeah I'm test driving an RX-8 soon, the price has me curious. 

For 23k that may be the Sport Automatic, which is down 20 hp to the 6 speed...

elasticjoe

2010 848 Dark

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 05:43:52 AM »

Nope its the 6spd. I already checked it out.
DRKWNG
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 03:04:17 PM »

Find an '07 or '08 S2000.  Those things are wicked fun to drive, and comfy enough to deal with as a daily driver as long as you don't have kids, or a dog... 

I miss mine...
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 03:12:05 PM »

Find an '07 or '08 S2000.  Those things are wicked fun to drive, and comfy enough to deal with as a daily driver as long as you don't have kids, or a dog... 

I miss mine...

+1...totally forgot about the S2000, shame on me...

elasticjoe

2010 848 Dark

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 06:58:57 PM »

I have a dog and will prob have a kid in the next 2 years (so before I get rid of the car).

I test drove both today, I have a deal on the RX-8 for 23,400 for a new 2010.  The Subie will be considerably more at 29800 thanks to them being incredibly popular.  I wonder if I get stationed in Maryland after Cali will the RX-8 cope with snow with good tires?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 07:00:59 PM by elasticjoe » Logged
DRKWNG
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 02:03:22 AM »

I wouldn't get caught up in the RWD is crap in snow mentality.  It's much more about proper choice of tire and driver skill.  Take a look in Germany, which gets far more snow than you'd see in MD, at all the people who are driving older BMWs around with no problem in the snow. 
elasticjoe

2010 848 Dark

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 05:19:08 AM »

Definatly true, I don't want to get hung up on the back seat issue either. A car seat will fit back there as will an adult human.  Americans are just use to having too much space in our huge cars compared to the rest of the world.
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 07:35:08 AM »

The main thing is get whatever makes you happy, you don't want to be kicking yourself in the butt for years after because you went for cheaper, or more practical.

Besides, the RX-8 is a nice car and you don't see scores of them on the road every day...and I kind of like that, having something different from what everyone else has.

elasticjoe

2010 848 Dark

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 06:39:26 PM »

I do too, I just have to research that rotary engine and make sure its not the pain that people claim it is.  If so me being not very mechanically inclined might be better off in the scooby
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 06:56:23 PM »

Not sure about the latest RX-8 engines, but the early ones used more than their share of oil...not known for good gas mileage either...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 06:58:00 PM by Gene V » Logged

elasticjoe

2010 848 Dark

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 05:48:56 PM »

Yeah the new ones are just as bad. 19 MPG for only 232 BHP, while the Scooby is 25 MPG for 265 (underrated) they dyno about 260 to the wheels so prob more like 280 BHP.  Also don't have the pain of rotary maintenance.  Was ready clubrx8 forums, you still have to carry oil in your trunk to constantly top it off, and on a cold day (like here in Northern Cali) they are prone to flooding and having to be towed.  A headache I really rather not have, on top of the expense of maintaining the rotary.  I'm sure they'll be collector items one day though, while the WRX will prob not be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: