Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 27, 2024, 08:45:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Critique my oil change skills  (Read 16250 times)
DucofWestwood
NOT tweeting photos of my

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 11:41:25 AM »

FWIW the shop manual that i have recommends cleaning the oil screen every 2nd oil change - as opposed to the 15,000 mile point that you mentioned.  in any case, i'm a novice so my primary objective is just getting my hands dirty and getting comfortable doing my own maintenance, so i don't mind a little overkill.  nothing like learning by doing!

'06 S2R1k - black - SOLD
'03 620 - red - SOLD
----
yeah
andie99

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 07:50:54 PM »

Thanks for posting the video, I often ask the shop to change the oils since I do not know how to do it myself. Am starting to learn from here. Thank you guys, hoping to learn more so I can save some. Smiley
Jarvicious
The guy in my avatar wants your

Balls

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 08:49:19 AM »

FWIW the shop manual that i have recommends cleaning the oil screen every 2nd oil change - as opposed to the 15,000 mile point that you mentioned.  in any case, i'm a novice so my primary objective is just getting my hands dirty and getting comfortable doing my own maintenance, so i don't mind a little overkill.  nothing like learning by doing!

There's also learning the hard way, being stranded/lying in a ditch on some back road waiting for that one buddy with a pickup truck.  I'm the same as you.  Mechanically inclined just enough to be dangerous, so I'd rather just do it so I know what's what next time I'm going to attempt to brake my own bike, but be sure to double/triple check all your work and take your time.  Nothing will jack up a good repair job like having to assemble, realizing you missed something, disassemble, reassemble, get distracted, forget to tighten something...etc.  Good luck!

We're liberated by the hearts that imprison us.  We're taken hostage by the ones that we break.
garryc

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 05:01:27 PM »

I dip my allen key into a tube of valve grind paste before trying to undo any hex head screws. Provides a more positive bite and reduces risk of stripping the head.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: