Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 01:40:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High beam indicator glows when low beams are on  (Read 2741 times)
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« on: August 06, 2010, 02:56:35 PM »

Ok...  2000 900SS, 15,000 miles.

When the ignition is on, running or not, my high beam indicator glows just a tiny bit, just enough to be visible at night. 

1)  High and low beams work as should

2)  Related issue:  Sometimes, when I turn the switch on, I get a fully lit high beam indicator and neither low nor high beam works.  Only the little bulb in the top of the headlight assembly works.

Is something loose?  Are there some damaged wires?  Where do I start.  I'm assuming ALL the forward body work has to come off since I'm likely going to have to inspect the headlight wiring.

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 03:45:34 PM »

I used to get a similar issue when I was running after market headlights on my monster. In my case, the issue was a poor connection between the stock and after market wiring. some dialectic grease and a zip tie fixed it for me.

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 05:13:38 PM »

The symptom is due to backfeed, often a bad ground so the component tries to complete ground as best it can.  No easy answer, but Herm's suggestion is a good place to start.
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 03:07:58 PM »

Found the problem.  Finally, the headlight stopped working all together, prompting me to really dig.  Turns out, the ground on my headlight bulb connector was cooked and melty.  Not sure what caused it, unless something was loose and causing arcing.  New headlight bulb and the glow is gone and both work ~

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: