Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 19, 2024, 02:20:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Knives..what are your favorites?  (Read 209166 times)
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #240 on: November 05, 2010, 01:20:38 PM »

waytogo

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
red baron

« Reply #241 on: November 08, 2010, 07:28:01 PM »

Scary screaming sharp, is there any other way? waytogo

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
aguacate

« Reply #242 on: November 09, 2010, 08:02:40 AM »

I just picked up two pocket knives while at Fred Meyer.  I got them for about $40 each.

First I saw this buck knife.  Buck 110 Folding Hunter: http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3044  I think it was already mentioned on this thread.  This is the only knife out of the two that I have actually used yet.  I want to use this one out of the two, primarily as a tool.  It seems like a really good camping knife.  I don't do any hunting.  I wouldn't leave it behind if I ever did go hunting.  It has a very solid feel.  As you hold it, open it, you feel the quality aging and polishing of the design style that it has aquired, endowed by Hoyt H Buck.

Then, after they opened the display case, I noticed this knife, hiding in plain sight.  Kershaw Ken Onion AO  http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Onion-Black-Scallion-Knife/dp/B002V7JOUM/ref=sr_1_8?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1289315017&sr=1-8  I couldn't find my exact knife anywhere, but this link appears to be the blacked out version of my knife.  Mine says "

KAI Patented
   MADE IN USA

"
on the blade.  The blade has three circles, of decreasing radii, as you travel from thumbstud to tip along the spine and in between the swedge and the primary grind.  The handle has a space etched out which says "Kershaw Ken Onion USA" if you look closely.  Mine doesn't have the white lettering as in the photo.  On my knife, the handle has texture, the handle is black, and the blade is metal-colored.  The knife has the assisted opening feature, which makes it fun to open.  Once I feel confident that I can maintain a killers grip on the knife at all times it will be badass to pull open it front of someone.  It's not quite like being spring-loaded, as there is no bounce and the movement feels more controlled than say, a switchblade.  You flick your thumb on the thumbstud and the blade launches out.  Or if you just grab it the right way, you can make the final knuckle of your index finger press the thumb-ramp in, and the blade will click out.  You really feel the stored energy in the Assisted Opening mechanism this way, so you have to have a firm grip around the handle of the knife with the rest of your fingers/your thumb.

Once open, I can put the butt of the knife handle resting in my palm over my carpals, where the palm of my hand folds together, and I can grip the knife with the tip hiding just tucked under my finger tip when my hand is held palm-facing-down.  I have to stretch my fingers a little bit to hide the tip.  The knife feels good.  My hands are not very large.

In short, this is the most sophisticated, the most practical, and the most usable street knife to carry on my person that I have every come across.  Tuck it in your left pants pocket, clip out, so the blade won't open.  You forget it's on you until you need it.  Like I said, I haven't actually used it yet.  I want to save the blade for when I really need it.  I am not comfortable sharpening or honing knives...

I used to have a partial-serrated Kershaw Leek with a black handle and a rainbow blade.  That was an awesome knife.  I miss it dearly.  I dumped it while riding the bus once.  I was tripping paranoid they were going to search us and take me in for carrying weapons across states.  I was not thinking straight.  I have kicked myself many times for that loss.  On the bright side, this is a better knife.

Next on my list of knives is a good all-around solid handle knife. ... about 1 foot in total length.  Suggestions?

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 08:10:06 AM by aguacate » Logged
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #243 on: November 09, 2010, 09:01:34 AM »

I'm looking at the Zero Tolerance 301. Might fit the bill?

2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

rgramjet
It would have been Fine if it wasnt for my Meddling

What'd you say about my Momma?

« Reply #244 on: November 09, 2010, 12:53:11 PM »

Then, after they opened the display case, I noticed this knife, hiding in plain sight.  Kershaw Ken Onion AO  http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Onion-Black-Scallion-Knife/dp/B002V7JOUM/ref=sr_1_8?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1289315017&sr=1-8 

Does your have a "cross point safety"?  My Ken Onion Chive has a small piece that slides in front of the tip to prevent accidental opening.  I am a big fan of those knives!

You're obviously a crack smokin' redneck carpenter. Kiss

in 1st and 2nd it was like this; ringy-ting-ting-ting slow boring ho-hum .......oh!........OMG! What the fu.........HOLY SHIT !!--ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
-Sofadriver

What has been smelled, cannot be unsmelled!
WarrenJ

« Reply #245 on: November 09, 2010, 01:29:55 PM »

May sound silly, but the best way I have found to determine if a knife is "sharp" is if it will cleanly slice free hanging Bounty paper towel.  It takes a pretty darn sharp knive to slice it without tearing.  I will admit it does strain the relationship with my long suffering wife when she grabs a sheet of paper towel from the roller and finds that it has been "fringed"

This isn't a dress rehearsal for life - this is it!
aguacate

« Reply #246 on: November 09, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »

Does your have a "cross point safety"?  My Ken Onion Chive has a small piece that slides in front of the tip to prevent accidental opening.  I am a big fan of those knives!

No safety.  I am worried about it opening, so I keep the blade tucked against the back corner of my left pocket.
rgramjet
It would have been Fine if it wasnt for my Meddling

What'd you say about my Momma?

« Reply #247 on: November 09, 2010, 04:27:42 PM »

I've got a couple of scars on my thigh from my old school switchblade that had a habit of opening in my pocket.......that sucked!

You're obviously a crack smokin' redneck carpenter. Kiss

in 1st and 2nd it was like this; ringy-ting-ting-ting slow boring ho-hum .......oh!........OMG! What the fu.........HOLY SHIT !!--ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
-Sofadriver

What has been smelled, cannot be unsmelled!
GAAN
« Reply #248 on: November 09, 2010, 06:51:53 PM »

I corked my khurkuri off a hearth stone today splitting kindling... boo
DesmoDiva

« Reply #249 on: November 10, 2010, 05:50:33 AM »

May sound silly, but the best way I have found to determine if a knife is "sharp" is if it will cleanly slice free hanging Bounty paper towel.  It takes a pretty darn sharp knive to slice it without tearing.  I will admit it does strain the relationship with my long suffering wife when she grabs a sheet of paper towel from the roller and finds that it has been "fringed"

Funny.  I do that too. 

My dad prefers see if he can shave the hair off his arm.   Tongue

'01 ST4 Yellow
'02 ST4s Yellow
WarrenJ

« Reply #250 on: November 10, 2010, 08:14:28 AM »

I test with the hair on my arm too but when I am in knifemaking mode, the supply of forearm hair gets depleted pretty quickly.  Tongue

This isn't a dress rehearsal for life - this is it!
red baron

« Reply #251 on: November 11, 2010, 03:14:00 AM »

laughingdp

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #252 on: November 11, 2010, 03:08:09 PM »

I got this a few weeks ago, just forgot to post a pic.   waytogo

Ontario RD9 w/orange micarta slabs

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #253 on: November 20, 2010, 10:38:57 PM »

Nice!  Orange for a specific purpose?  It's not an underwater knife. 

I finally saw the Cold Steel Rajah knives at Shooter's Vault yesterday.  WOW!!  That's a folder..and sharp too!!

AUS8 blade.

Rajah II $125 and the new Rajah III only $60.  I'll take both!!   Grin

BTW..Cold Steel marketing videos are LONG!!

http://www.coldsteel.com/rajahseries.html

2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #254 on: November 21, 2010, 02:57:11 AM »

Nice!  Orange for a specific purpose?  It's not an underwater knife. 

I finally saw the Cold Steel Rajah knives at Shooter's Vault yesterday.  WOW!!  That's a folder..and sharp too!!

AUS8 blade.

Rajah II $125 and the new Rajah III only $60.  I'll take both!!   Grin

BTW..Cold Steel marketing videos are LONG!!

http://www.coldsteel.com/rajahseries.html

Orange for visibility at night, in the off chance it leaves my hand.

I like that Rajah III. And I can only sit through a few minutes of their videos too!

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: