Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 08:57:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Knives..what are your favorites?  (Read 199161 times)
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2010, 07:01:19 PM »

Cool..thanks Vin!  ^^

I carry one every day as a tool really, and not for protection.  I use quite often. 

That's the reason I want a knife.  To use it as a tool.  I could've used one several times the past couple of weeks. 

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
Turf

Awesome > Logic

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2010, 07:33:58 PM »

generally rock any cheap gerber pocketknife for edc, comes in use all the time

for camping and just about everything else my go to is my Ka-bar

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
RAT900
Post Whore

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2010, 10:37:13 PM »

the ones that don't get stuck in my back

This is an insult to the Pez community
factorPlayer

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2010, 02:54:18 AM »

Yeah, Knives made in Taiwan tend to cost less.  Wink

Made in the USA - and $50 on Wal-Mart's website.

http://sogknives.com/store/TF-1.html
Turf

Awesome > Logic

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2010, 04:05:14 AM »

Made in the USA - and $50 on Wal-Mart's website.

http://sogknives.com/store/TF-1.html

depends which part of SOG you're talking about, The only thing they make in Taiwan is their fusion series

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
GAAN
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2010, 04:21:13 AM »

depends which part of SOG you're talking about, The only thing they make in Taiwan is their fusion series

through knife forum.net

Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:32 PM
To: Zippilli
Subject: RE: Product question
Hello,
Sorry for the delay, presently we do not have 24 hour customer support and we are receiving many, many emails. As a result, a reply is sometimes a few days later. As for your question, the SEAL Pup knives are primarily manufactured in Seki Japan, but we are currently dual manufacturing the knife in order to fill demand. The Taiwan version is a higher grade steel as in the SEAL Pup Elite. (also Taiwan) The knives we manufacture in Taiwan are just as good, if not better due to the higher grade steel. The perception that Taiwan manufactured knives are inferior is a prevalent one for many knife enthusiasts, but I can confidently state that our Taiwan manufactured knives are held to the same standard as our Japan knives and the SEAL Pup Elite and Taiwan version SEAL Pup are superior knives due to the materials. We love our Seki Japan manufacturing plant, but these are the same people who made the original Vietnam bowie during the Vietnam war, so the experts there are getting a little slower at filling our orders.

We are able to manufacture more product by using our Taiwan manufacturer and for a growing company this is a huge plus. Our Taiwan made knives still carry our SOG lifetime warranty and are closely examined by our quality control department. The Military used knives we manufacture are both Taiwan and Japan made knives and we receive many compliments from Armed Forces personnel for all our product. We take feedback very seriously and we remain committed to maintaining our reputation for producing high quality products.
Regards,

Name removed

Retail Sales & Customer Service

SOG Specialty Knives & Tools

6521 212th St SW

Lynnwood, WA 98036

1-888-405-6433 ext 240

1-425-771-6230 ext 240

1-425-771-7689 Fax

retail@sogknives.com

www.sogknives.com
DoubleEagle

" If you are unafraid you will be safe "

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2010, 12:49:07 PM »

The famous " Bowie " knife.

Dolph      Smiley

'08 Ducati 1098 R    '09 BMW K 1300 GT   '10 BMW S 1000 RR

Shortest sentence...." I am "   Longest sentence ... " I Do "
factorPlayer

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2010, 11:37:15 PM »

for camping and just about everything else my go to is my Ka-bar

+1 I love my Ka-Bar too - Dad gave me one when I was 15.  Not an outdoorsey type though so it hasn't seen much use, but makes a fine conversation piece.  Stays on top of my bedstand.
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2010, 11:39:17 PM »

Gerber Evo Jr. - I have one in every car, bookbags, bike toolkits.  Great low cost little knife for pretty much anything.  Sharp blade and great quality.

Gerber.  Very affordable.  waytogo

Hoyden..I've been checking out the Spyderco brand.  They have several models I like.

Anyone have a Smith & Wesson?  I've seen a few Military/police models that are spring loaded and have gun-like handles.

This Mantis Z'mora is looking better everyday!!

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
causeofkaos

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2010, 04:41:15 AM »

Im very surprised only one spyderco post.
In my search for well performing everyday carry spyderco was top.
I prefer the locking mechanism and the fact the blade is ridgid when in the locked open position. All the other manufacturers blade locked open have a jiggle. Lock your blade open grab the blade in one hand, handle in the the other and flex the pivot point. I dont like that looseness, and from what ive seen spyderco is the only one that doesnt have play. and their serated blades are ridiculous sharp.

Favorite convo i read on this board
"PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN"
"F**K U IT HAPPENED"

Suzuki Blvd M109R " Sliver " = assassinated by cager
PW 696 " Pearl " = traded in
M1100 " Loki " = Viking God of mischief ( Goddess in this case )
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty pristine body, but rather to come in sliding sideways all used up screaming F*CK YEAH WHAT A RDIE!!
WarrenJ

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2010, 05:41:35 AM »

For  day in and day out use, Spyderco makes some excellent knives at reasonable prices.  I like their knives with the stainless handles.  They are tough, real slim in the pocket and are usually made of excellent steel.  I frequently carry a 2.5" bladed stainless Sypderco when the Benchmade Stryker is a bit too bulky.  I think it is a "Navigator" made from AUS 8 steel.  It sharpens pretty easliy and holds a good edge.

This isn't a dress rehearsal for life - this is it!
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2010, 06:42:18 AM »

I know you're looking for folders, but I simply adore these:

Swedish Mora #1 -- I buy them two or three at a time for $10 apiece. Swedish steel & the traditional Scandinavian bevel - a tool that is beautiful because it is pared down to pure function. Incredibly easy to sharpen well, holds a brilliant edge whether you're cutting wood, cardboard, elk hide, rope, whatever. You can also get them fancier, with laminated blades & nicer handles, still quite inexpensive from places like Ragnar's:

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

Day in and day out I carry a cheap Buck folder that was made in (let me check) China. Holds a good edge but is a little finicky to sharpen well, so I don't do it as often as I should. I still have the Kershaw Chive I used to carry, but the tiny Torx screws that hold the pocket clip kept coming loose & disappearing and I haven't taken the time to replace them with cut-down, locktited Phillips heads (why Kershaw didn't do that in the first place I'll never understand).

Since Statler hasn't chimed in, I'll answer your question, IZ -- the picture he posted is of a modern sailing knife. The blade profile is called a Sheepsfoot and according to the stories I've heard dates back to the days when Britannia ruled the waves under sail; the British Navy found that they tended to come back to port with more sailors if none of them were allowed on board with a knife that had a point. Traditionally, the blade has a straight or near straight edge; instead of cutting a line on board the way you or I would cut a rope (make a loop, put the knife in it & pull tight against the edge), you get a much neater cut by laying the line on a flat surface, putting the blade where you want to make the cut, and pushign straight down or whacking the spine of the blade with a wooden dowel (like those handle things you always see ringing the mast of a tall ship... anyone know what those are called?).

Another good reason for a "pointless" knife on a boat is that if you find yourself tangled in rigging & have to cut yourself free in an emergency, you don't want a sharp point anywhere near parts of yourself that you'd prefer to remain unpierced. That's why the Gerber River Runner that lives on my kayaking PFD has a flat, blunt tip, as do a lot of diving knives.

I made one a number of years ago for a friend who was captaining one of the tourist tall ships off the coast of Maine... I'll have to hunt up a photo somewhere. I also made him a sheath that would hold the knife & a Marlinspike, which is useful to untie knots that have been under load.

My favorite knife was another one that I made -- an itty bitty little fixed-blade knife I forged from a Toyota Land Cruiser wheel bearing  with a short (1.5" or so), fat blade & a two-finger walnut handle that I'd wear on my belt in a sheath under a suit. I was working on Capitol Hill in a much simpler time and the Capitol Police running the metal detectors never had any concerns about such a cute little thing.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 08:42:07 AM by triangleforge » Logged

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2010, 06:46:55 AM »

you get a much neater cut by laying the line on a flat surface, putting the blade where you want to make the cut, and pushign straight down or whacking the spine of the blade with a wooden dowel (like those handle things you always see ringing the mast of a tall ship... anyone know what those are called?).

Belaying pins.

Finally, crewing on this for 4 years provides me with something useful to add to the conversation Cheesy

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2010, 06:49:21 AM »

And re: knives, I bought a cheap folder at Cabellas and after growing to love it, it disappeared.

This thread inspired me to get another one as I miss it a lot.

It's cheap but functional.  One hand open.  One hand close if you're right handed.  I got the green one with the serrated edge.  Not bad for $15

Link

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2010, 06:52:02 AM »

thanks, triangleforge.  I missed that anyone even asked about it.  oops.

and yeah... belaying pin.  none of those on Pisces

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: