Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 18, 2024, 02:18:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Knives..what are your favorites?  (Read 208864 times)
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #600 on: September 01, 2013, 12:04:57 PM »

I'm not at all a fan of Benchmade knives. I've never held one that felt like quality in my hand...every one has been way too light, almost a cheap feeling kind of light, and the prices are a bit crazy.

I can agree with you on the light/cheap feel, but none of the Benchmade knives I've had have been low quality. I had a Osborne 940 a long while ago and that thing was a work horse. Aluminum handles, stout blade (for a folder) and the Axis lock system makes for super easy one hand open and close.

This is my current work EDC, it does everything from cardboard to zip ties to light prying. The handles are givory, which is some kind of resin. It's super light but doesn't make the knife feel cheap. Disappears in the pocket and probably the lightest EDC I've ever carried!

Some of the Benchmades I can turn my head to but most of them I love!

YMMV, obviously.

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
WarrenJ

« Reply #601 on: September 01, 2013, 12:44:08 PM »

I had an old Benchmade Puma that was a special run for a SOF convention that was a workhorse and I had a couple of the early Strykers when the first came out in the '90's.  They were real solid working knives.  Their current Strykers are a pale imitation of the early ones. 

I am currently looking at the DPX  HEST 2.0 folder.  Anyone have any personal experience with them?  They look good on paper but I don't know how they work where the rubber meets the road.

This isn't a dress rehearsal for life - this is it!
red baron

« Reply #602 on: September 01, 2013, 06:02:21 PM »

My 'yard' knife. Just right to let the neighbors know I may be a bit off.

Works great on the palm fronds. Just gotta keep the 1095 clean.

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
DexterMorgan

« Reply #603 on: September 18, 2013, 03:23:48 PM »

I just bought a Smith&Wesson M&P for everyday carry. The "m.a.g.i.c" assist is a little tough to accuate but I guess it makes sense.  I like it though.

-Adam-
2013 Monster 1100 Evo
2013 Monster 796 (wife's)
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #604 on: December 02, 2014, 01:41:32 PM »

I'm looking to buy a new knife for camping, etc. use.  I have a leatherman with a few blades for various purposes, but I want a fixed blade that is larger and stronger.  Something that is sturdy to be used to split wood or pry things if necessary, that has a full tang for heavy use, and with a good grip (a material that will maintain grip when wet).

I did some online research and based on what I read I think I'm going to buy a KA-BAR Full Size (7") USMC knife.  Just wanted to reach out to the DMF crew for input: either alternative suggestions or praise/criticism for the KA-BAR.

Fire away!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:00:51 AM by 1.21GW » Logged

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #605 on: December 02, 2014, 02:31:22 PM »

Lots of options, but you really can't beat a KA-BAR.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #606 on: December 02, 2014, 03:01:58 PM »

I am a big fan of Columbia Knife and Tool.  They have a wide range of high quality blades of just about every type one could ever need.  It is my go to knife shop when looking for affordable blades.

http://www.crkt.com/

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #607 on: December 03, 2014, 08:00:17 AM »

Thanks, both of you. waytogo

Further research revealed that the KA-BAR does not have a full-tang but only a rat tail tang.  So I think I'm going with an ESEE 6 or ESEE 5.  Pricier, but well reviewed across the board as far as I can tell.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #608 on: December 03, 2014, 08:39:59 AM »

Pretty decent prices on the ESEE here... http://www.theknifeconnection.net/esee-knives/

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #609 on: December 03, 2014, 10:25:42 AM »

Pretty decent prices on the ESEE here... http://www.theknifeconnection.net/esee-knives/

Thanks, DP.

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #610 on: December 03, 2014, 04:00:50 PM »

Thanks, both of you. waytogo

Further research revealed that the KA-BAR does not have a full-tang but only a rat tail tang.  So I think I'm going with an ESEE 6 or ESEE 5.  Pricier, but well reviewed across the board as far as I can tell.

http://www.soonerstateknives.com/beckerknives.htm

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #611 on: December 03, 2014, 04:35:45 PM »

Thanks.  The BK2 was one of the alternatives I considered.  Ended up ordering the ESEE 6 today.  Grin

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #612 on: December 03, 2014, 04:38:45 PM »

waytogo

Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #613 on: December 03, 2014, 07:52:30 PM »

Just ordered the Zancudo folder...under $30 for a frame lock is a fantastic deal.

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #614 on: December 08, 2014, 10:56:19 AM »

Those all look pretty sharp.

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: