Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 18, 2024, 04:25:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Knives..what are your favorites?  (Read 208884 times)
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #615 on: December 08, 2014, 10:57:38 AM »

Those all look pretty sharp.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #616 on: December 10, 2014, 11:02:56 AM »

My ESEE 6 arrived today. I promptly unpacked it and of course now everyone in the office is uncomfortable. Evil

Anyway, seems very well made and feels solid. Heavier than I expected----i contemplated the ESEE 5 which is a survival knife for pilots and thicker/heavier but am glad I went with the 6.

One question: since it is 1095 carbon steel, it says to keep it lubricated to prevent rust.  They recommend a "dry film inhibitor".   What is this and what do you guys recommend?

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #617 on: December 10, 2014, 01:33:25 PM »

My ESEE 6 arrived today. I promptly unpacked it and of course now everyone in the office is uncomfortable. Evil

Anyway, seems very well made and feels solid. Heavier than I expected----i contemplated the ESEE 5 which is a survival knife for pilots and thicker/heavier but am glad I went with the 6.

One question: since it is 1095 carbon steel, it says to keep it lubricated to prevent rust.  They recommend a "dry film inhibitor".   What is this and what do you guys recommend?

waytogo waytogo Very nice choice!

No need to spend all kinds of money to keep a blade rust free.

Just use WD-40 and a rag. I usually spray the blade down and clean it really well before putting it away for the next camping trip. If rust starts to develop rust a scotch green pad does wonders.

My RTAK-II gets put through its paces. It's scratched and marked all over the place, but no rust. Care in cleaning is what keeps rust away. Remember, it's a camp/work knife. It's not gonna stay beautiful forever.

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #618 on: December 10, 2014, 06:13:31 PM »

I promptly unpacked it and of course now everyone in the office is uncomfortable. Evil

If I took a blade to work..even by work..it would be hell to pay.

My wife's work..OTOH..they receive daggers and swords for a certain number of years they work there.

Congrats btw!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 06:15:18 PM by IZ » Logged

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
1.21GW

bikeless

Re:
« Reply #619 on: December 10, 2014, 06:43:31 PM »

Since I threw out the box it came in I had to carry it in its sheath home. It was too big for my jacket pocket and was sticking out so I put it in the inside pocket which, while also not large enough for the knife, at least hid it a little better. 

Anyway, I commute through midtown and Grand Central Terminal where 1 mil people pass each day and there are cops and military on duty around every corner.  I kept thinking someone was going to catch a glimpse of it and start shouting "terrorist" or something and I would be tackled by 16 marines.

But I made it w/o incident. [Phew]

IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

Re:
« Reply #620 on: December 11, 2014, 01:33:13 PM »

Anyway, I commute through midtown and Grand Central Terminal where 1 mil people pass each day and there are cops and military on duty around every corner.  I kept thinking someone was going to catch a glimpse of it and start shouting "terrorist" or something and I would be tackled by 16 marines.

But I made it w/o incident. [Phew]

Throw in a midget and that would've been a great Piller story. 

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #621 on: February 23, 2015, 08:38:08 AM »

Hey knife guys:

I'm looking to get a small folding knife.  Something simple and just for occasional household use but really it would be for camping and outdoor stuff.  As you know from posts above, I have my 6" ESEE which is a big guy for more hefty activities like batoning wood etc., but sometimes I just want something small or, in some cases, I don't even bring the big guy if it's a day hike.

I have a leatherman with 2 blades (knife and saw-knife), but it is a little more cumbersome and getting the knife out takes some fiddling.  Also, leatherman makes for great compact multi-tool, but the body is for obvious reasons not easy to hold as a knife.  So I want a small simple foldng knife.  Probably 3" blade or thereabouts.  Not sure whether I need the jagged-y part at the base or not.  What exactly is that used for?  Not trying to break the bank, either.  The Buck Knives seem right up my alley, but I wanted some ideas from the DMF experts.

Anyway, please offer any suggestions or favorites.  Thanks in advance.

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #622 on: February 23, 2015, 02:33:50 PM »

Anyway, please offer any suggestions or favorites.  Thanks in advance.

Inexpensive Benchmade. Well made, perfect for everyday use.

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
DesmoDiva

« Reply #623 on: February 23, 2015, 03:30:14 PM »

Love my Benchmade.

And they offer free lifetime sharpening/tune ups.   waytogo

'01 ST4 Yellow
'02 ST4s Yellow
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #624 on: February 23, 2015, 05:34:25 PM »

I've had several of the smaller ~2" Bucks and broken every one of them.

I carry some cheap Hong Kong folder that's been around forever and I haven't been able to break the blade yet.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

MendoDave
« Reply #625 on: February 23, 2015, 08:40:04 PM »

Been using Wüsthof kitchen knives now for a while and they are pretty nice knives.

I always lose folding knives or break the tip off or something.
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #626 on: February 23, 2015, 09:04:12 PM »

Thanks!  That benchmade is very nice, Kopf!  Cool

So nice that I was very close to ordering a Griptillian but ultimately I decided to go with a Ontario Rat 2.  I'm not sure how much I'll use this between my leatherman and my fixed blade, so I went with the less expensive option.  I figure that if I find myself relying on it all the time, I'll probably upgrade to a nicer EDC (something like a benchmade) down the road.

kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #627 on: February 23, 2015, 09:15:14 PM »

waytogo

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #628 on: February 25, 2015, 03:46:19 PM »

So nice that I was very close to ordering a Griptillian but ultimately I decided to go with a Ontario Rat 2.  I'm not sure how much I'll use this between my leatherman and my fixed blade, so I went with the less expensive option.  I figure that if I find myself relying on it all the time, I'll probably upgrade to a nicer EDC (something like a benchmade) down the road.

Excellent choice!  waytogo

I was gonna recommend the Rat line. The Rat 1 is no longer being made IIRC, so you can usually find them pretty cheap. The Rat 2 is a good replacement, a little smaller and a little lighter.

Another option might have been either the SOG Flash I or the Flash II. I've got the II and love it!!

Welcome to yet another addiction! waytogo Evil

P.S. This is just my opinion, always go for the fine edge, never the partially serrated edge. If you keep your knives sharp there is nothing a partially serrated edge can cut that a fine edge can't. Plus the serrations are harder to sharpen once they dull, and they will.

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #629 on: March 01, 2015, 07:41:31 AM »

What do you guys sharpen your blades with? I want to get something that is fairly portable/ travels well. Seems like at least a 3 grit system is necessary to get a proper edge from what I'm reading. It's also a skill it seems, requiring a bit of practice to do it well. Sharpening a knife would be such a therapeutic activity...

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: