Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 19, 2024, 06:23:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Knives..what are your favorites?  (Read 209280 times)
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2010, 06:57:53 AM »

Those will be on the next boat, right Statler?

Grin

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
rgramjet
It would have been Fine if it wasnt for my Meddling

What'd you say about my Momma?

« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2010, 07:16:51 AM »

Grin
And re: knives, I bought a cheap folder at Cabellas and after growing to love it, it disappeared.

This thread inspired me to get another one as I miss it a lot.

It's cheap but functional.  One hand open.  One hand close if you're right handed.  I got the green one with the serrated edge.  Not bad for $15

Link

Plus, you don't have to worry about anyone Stealing it!!  That is one green knife!

You're obviously a crack smokin' redneck carpenter. Kiss

in 1st and 2nd it was like this; ringy-ting-ting-ting slow boring ho-hum .......oh!........OMG! What the fu.........HOLY SHIT !!--ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
-Sofadriver

What has been smelled, cannot be unsmelled!
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2010, 07:20:46 AM »

Grin

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
cokey
hey take a look @ my

« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2010, 08:02:44 AM »

Can ya name good blade steel? Next nife/sword I purchase will be based off it..

I WIN
Quote from: my wife
Ok babe I surrender to u.  U may work me out till I drop

About the goat...
 His name was Bob, but the family called him BeelzeBob. 
make the beast with two backs goats.
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2010, 08:32:03 AM »

Can ya name good blade steel? Next nife/sword I purchase will be based off it..

What's your intended use? Tool steels come in all kinds of flavors, and some are significantly better than others for specific uses.

Put another way, think of what's important to you in a knife: Toughness? Blade flex? Razor-sharp edge? Easy to sharpen? Resisting stains/rust? While "all of the above" would be nice, most steels do well at one or a couple while compromising on others. Some of those attributes you can control/enhance using blade design & heat treatment, but if you're starting from a blank slate, it's worth starting with a steel that will do best at the things you want to emphasize.

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
WarrenJ

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2010, 09:31:39 AM »

Triangleforge pretty much listed all the salient points.  I like the simpler carbon steels - when they are properly heat treated, they deliver amazing cutting performance, toughness and edge holding ability - the one drawback is that they are in no way stain resistant.  They will stain and rust at the first opportunity.  I've found for pure cutting performance, O1 is very very good.  For toughness, I really like 5160 (its what they make truck suspension springs from).  It's not quite the pure cutting steel of O1 but it is incredible tough and its easier to resharpen once it is dull.  I forge a lot of knives from 1080, which delivers a great edge, good toughness and allows for the development of a "Hamon" line when the blade is differentially heat treated.  

A lot of makers are using 5160 for swords due to its incredible toughness and shock resistance.  I prefer it also for hard use knives.  It doesn't polish up as well as O1 or other steels but WOW is it strong.  I've forged a short sword from 5160 and it has taken no end of abuse.

As far as stainless steels, D2 is pretty good for knives.  If properly heat treated, it is very strong and holds an edge for a long time.  It is very hard to sharpen.  I have heard D2 knives described "it takes a mediocre edge and holds it forever"

CMPs30V is another very popular stainless blade steel.  It is very tough and holds an edge quite well.  It is also a bit more expensive than other blade steels.  

Neither  of these stainless steels are really appropriate for swords as they are typically too hard and brittle for the high impacts that swords have to survive.

I have tested a number of knives made of different steels, designs and heat treatment options to failure.  There are plenty of websites online that discuss the merits of different steels.  There are no end of opinions on what is the best, but if you define your needs, it will make your options clearer.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 09:34:51 AM by WarrenJ » Logged

This isn't a dress rehearsal for life - this is it!
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2010, 09:35:58 AM »

You forge your own. . .

we'll need to see pics. . .

Grin

triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2010, 12:31:25 PM »

You forge your own. . .

we'll need to see pics. . .

Grin

I'll go first, since WarrenJ and several others are far better metalsmiths than me. It'll build a more dramatic narrative that way, trust me. I'll apologize in advance for the photo quality -- I wasn't a great photographer 15-20 years ago, and taking digital snapshots of the prints I have on hand hasn't improved things one bit.

First one is that little two-finger knife I mentioned; I gave it to a friend, bike framebuilder (last I heard, he was specializing in high-end framebuilding jigs & tools) Don Ferris of Anvil Bikes:

Here's the sheepsfoot sailing/rigging knife I made for that friend in Maine -- it's the only one I've ever done in stainless:

This one's probably my favorite. It's a knife I made for the silent auction at the Catamount Cruiser Challenge up in New Hampshire back in the late '90s. It's made from a wheel bearing race and one of the things I was proudest of was that you could read the stamp "KOYO" still on the spine of the blade:

Here's the same blade right after I did heat treatment on it (yes, bladesmiths in the audience will understand why I'm still not entirely happy with the temper...), laying on the handle slabs of sliver maple:

I'll now yield the floor to folks who know what they're doing...

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2010, 01:04:53 PM »

drool.

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
TiNi
Post Whore

'05 620ie

« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2010, 01:12:52 PM »

got a Kramer as a xmas gift... i haven't used another knife in the kitchen since  waytogo

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2010, 02:19:27 PM »

That looks great!

fastwin
She pointed and laughed at my

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2010, 03:25:32 PM »

got a Kramer as a xmas gift... i haven't used another knife in the kitchen since  waytogo

Is that Damascus steel in the blade? Am I even close?? That looks like an awesome tool! waytogo Even the handle is make the beast with two backsing gorgeous! What is that made of? The handmade knife making trade is such a cool link to the past when sword makers made a name for themselves when that was the tool of battle. Neat stuff and still useful every single day!

I plan to list the Federal Gov't. as a dependent on my next 1040 tax filing!

I have flying honey badgers and I'm not afraid to use them!

The fact that flame throwers exist is proof that someone somewhere said "I'd sure like to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

CONFIDENCE: the feeling you have right before you understand the situation.
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2010, 03:39:15 PM »

Yes that is Damascus.

http://www.kramerknives.com/kitchen.htm

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2010, 04:40:02 PM »

Any pictures of the knife making process would be drooled over as well...

mitt

IZ

TOB/DMF member since '02

« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2010, 05:13:58 PM »

Nice work TF!

Thanks for all the metal info too guys!!  chug

Obviously, I'm not going to find one knife that fits all the potential uses so I'll be doing more research and ordering a few to fit the bill.

2018 Scrambler 800 "Argento"
2010 Monster 1100 "Niro" 
2003 Monster 620 "Scuro"

This just in..IZ is not that short..and I am not that tall.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: