Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 07, 2024, 09:22:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Powdercoating Wheels-Bad Idea?  (Read 7198 times)
golgofett

« on: September 09, 2010, 09:00:22 PM »

I love my Gloss Black M1100 but do not like the look of the silver wheels on the bike.  I miss having black wheels and was considering getting these powdercoated.  Is this a bad idea as I thought someone mentioned the can get dinged up when putting new tires on at the service dept.  I did a search but could not find info.

Also, would I need any replacement parts such as seals or bearings to reinstall the wheels?  Just trying to figure out what my costs may be if i were to go this route.  And as much as I would like new wheels, I can not afford them now anyways. 

2009 M1100 Gloss Black
Motovation Frame Sliders
Touring Seat
CRG Lanesplitters w/Rhinomoto Barends
Rizoma fender eliminator
Rizoma Avio 21's
bunnyman666
Monster

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 01:09:05 AM »

From what I understand, powder coating is amongst the more durable finishes, therefore perfect for applications like wheels. The only drawback that I hear is that some wheels may take a LOT more powder to get them smooth than, say paint, and it could add up in both weight AND cost. That being said, I have ZERO experience with powder coated wheels.

Mad, bad, and dangerous to know.
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 01:48:17 AM »

he-man has powdercoated his wheels. maybe he'll show up.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 02:24:20 AM »

You'd need to pull out anything that isn't the wheel - bearings, cush drive etc.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 02:44:27 AM »

generally, whatever can be painted can be powdered.  they are just two different ways of applying a layer of color.  one is liquid-chemical and the other is electrostatic. 

powdercoating is often better because you can apply a more consistent finish and reach crevices better.  it also does not run like paint can.  however, it is more problematic to coat with and unless you have an experienced pc'er, it can be pretty bad.

there are PLENTY of people out there who do wheels.  i used to use a guy in ohio who was a very old school pc'er.  don't know how i found him, but he did stuff for reasonable and the finishes came out looking better than you'd ever imagine. 

you just have to ask if they do aluminum or alloy.  regular powdercoating requires heat treat and aluminum has a lower range or becomes brittle as the heat treat rehardens the metal.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 03:38:32 AM »

We have customers bring us theirs wheels to be powdercoated all the time at AMS. Marty has the wheels on his 1098R powdercoated black and has zero nicks on the rim lips from lots and lots of supercorsa tire changes.

that's forged alu that we pc'd, done it on brembo 3-spokers a bunch as well, and of course, frames.  Mark at the shop has all the footpeg bracketry and subframe of his motard powdercoated (likewise, the Neimen Marcus motards had lots of powdercoating done too when they were 're'-assembled)

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 03:39:08 AM »

just don't be like the guy with the 1098 that bought it to impress chicks who pc'd his front wheel black and his back wheel red. it looked terrible. and he was mighty far into the squidzone.

causeofkaos

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 04:35:45 AM »

"highway to the squidzone"
top gun?? it sounded really funny in my head.
looks lame when i read it.
i dont care, now you guys have to read it.

anyone see the KTM half orange half white wheels?

Favorite convo i read on this board
"PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN"
"F**K U IT HAPPENED"

Suzuki Blvd M109R " Sliver " = assassinated by cager
PW 696 " Pearl " = traded in
M1100 " Loki " = Viking God of mischief ( Goddess in this case )
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty pristine body, but rather to come in sliding sideways all used up screaming F*CK YEAH WHAT A RDIE!!
Heath

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 05:33:39 AM »

anyone see the KTM half orange half white wheels?
This?

I like it for KTM and motards.  I would think long and hard before I did that to my ducati

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
2006 Ducati Monster S2R800 Dark [sold]
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 05:50:09 AM »

I have painted wheels.  Not powder.  Not that I have anything against powder.  Just saying that I'm very happy with the paint finish.  It's glossy (if thats what you want), its durable.... no signs of damage from tyre replacements. But dont ask me for the technical details... I took em to a place with a great reputation, they did a good job, I gave em money.

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
causeofkaos

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 07:00:59 AM »

the new 125 has white and orange looks great!
im gonna do silver and red on my silver with red frame M1100.
no.....no im not.

Favorite convo i read on this board
"PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN"
"F**K U IT HAPPENED"

Suzuki Blvd M109R " Sliver " = assassinated by cager
PW 696 " Pearl " = traded in
M1100 " Loki " = Viking God of mischief ( Goddess in this case )
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty pristine body, but rather to come in sliding sideways all used up screaming F*CK YEAH WHAT A RDIE!!
Heath

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 07:18:24 AM »

thats hot

2007 Ducati Monster S4RT
2006 Ducati Monster S2R800 Dark [sold]
Monstermash
AKA-TomColore

Interferiscalo se potete

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 07:59:06 AM »

thats hot

Yes it is!

I bet if you did the same trearment to the exhaust on a new 696/1100 it would look very good as well.

I've been wallowing in my own chaotic and insecure delusions.

"Though I disagree with everything you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it."
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 09:46:12 AM »

I have painted wheels.  Not powder.  Not that I have anything against powder.  Just saying that I'm very happy with the paint finish.  It's glossy (if thats what you want), its durable.... no signs of damage from tyre replacements. But dont ask me for the technical details... I took em to a place with a great reputation, they did a good job, I gave em money.

the right kind of paint with the right kind of painter can do very well. 

paint is problematic because it's a liquid and can run.  also, you can only get to places the spray can reach.  since powder is applied electrostatically, it can go around corners, so to speak.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Bill in OKC

S4Rs

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 11:10:49 AM »

You need somebody who knows what they are doing.  I know a guy who had his Kawasaki wheels powder coated and when he got them back the bearings were no longer a press fit but just slid in loosely.  The heat treatment must have changed some of the wheel's dimensions.

'07 S4Rs  '02 RSVR  '75 GT550  '13 FXSB  '74 H1E  '71 CB750
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: