Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 04:17:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dropped the Hyper this morning...  (Read 1324 times)
CajunR

« on: September 17, 2010, 02:39:21 PM »

bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head

There is a ton of construction going on to widen the road (FM 1378) just outside of my subdivision, and it's going to be about 3 feet lower than the existing road, for some reason... So, to get out of my subdivision and onto FM 1378 I have to ride down the relatively steep slope (which is paved) at the end of my street to the new road, then straight up the embankment that is the side of the old road.  Said embankment is gravel.  Angry  I've been doing this without issue for about 3 months now:   Roll forward at the top of the slope, stand on the pegs to check traffic both ways, roll down the slope in 1st, build a little momentum, gently roll on the throttle at the bottom and up the embankment, roll off just at the crest, let the momentum carry me over the crest while turning right on the road, roll on the throttle as I straighten up on the road, head off to work.  Piece of cake.

It didn't happen like that this morning. 

I really wish someone could have filmed it.  I'm sure "Doofus in bright yellow jacket falls off motorcycle" would have about a billion hits on youtube by now.  I just didn't have enough steam once I got to the top, and I started to list to starboard a bit.  I barley got a toe down, and all hope was essentially lost.  I sort of limped/wrestled in a semi-circle back onto the gravel embankment and gently (and quite ungracefully) fell the hell over.

The only casualty was my right el-cheapo bar-end mirror (snapped right off), and my brake pedal is now bent inward ever so slightly.  My handguard is scuffed a bit, and there are a couple of scratches on the right side passenger peg bracket.  Other than that, the bike made out like a champ.   waytogo

Oh, and I'm fine, too.  Everything did its job.  Even with such a slow (and unspectacular) fall, the gravel would have made a mess of my arm and side without my trusty yellow monstrosity.   cheeky cheeky

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
muskrat

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 04:24:23 PM »

Welcome to the club Evil
Glad to hear it was only your pride that's hurt

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
webspoke

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 04:59:36 PM »

Glad your ok, the bike just wanted to play closer to the dirt Huh?

Streetfighter 1098S
CajunR

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 02:59:54 AM »

Thanks, guys.  chug

TresGatos

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 07:15:07 AM »

You have no injuries and the Hyper survived. That's
a good drop. Glad you're OK!

'65 Honda CM91 - '98 Suzuki DR650 - '08 695+mods - '08 Hypermotard 1100S
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

GT1k, 99 M900(V), 98 M900(W), 00 M900S, 02 748E/R

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 10:18:59 AM »

i drink too many beers in the garage sometimes and accidentally push my bike over. at least you have a respectable story.

Pinocchio
Unsung

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 12:26:38 PM »

... my brake pedal is now bent inward ever so slightly.  ...   waytogo

Oh, and I'm fine, too.  Everything did its job.  ...

Glad to hear you're all right, but make sure your rear brake lever is working freely. I have the same lever on my Multi as the hypers and I can attest from experience that it doesn't take much misalignment to cause it to catch on nearby parts.

Otherwise, replace the mirror, put on another jacket and get back on 'er! waytogo [moto]

1969 Scrambler (450 “Jupiter”), 2005 MTS 1000DS, 2007 Monster S4RS, 2010 MTS 1200S Touring, 2018 Monster 1200R, 2021 Monster 937+
fastwin
She pointed and laughed at my

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »

i drink too many beers in the garage sometimes and accidentally push my bike over. at least you have a respectable story.

Good one!! chug drink applause

I plan to list the Federal Gov't. as a dependent on my next 1040 tax filing!

I have flying honey badgers and I'm not afraid to use them!

The fact that flame throwers exist is proof that someone somewhere said "I'd sure like to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

CONFIDENCE: the feeling you have right before you understand the situation.
rickmillertx
Ride while you can!

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 11:30:27 AM »

bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head bang head

The only casualty was my right el-cheapo bar-end mirror (snapped right off), and my brake pedal is now bent inward ever so slightly.  My handguard is scuffed a bit, and there are a couple of scratches on the right side passenger peg bracket.  Other than that, the bike made out like a champ.   waytogo

I'm glad you didn't get banged up.  Based on what I've seen on other Ducati bikes, and your damage description, check with insurance, they will probably total the bike.  laughingdp

CajunR

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 12:21:19 PM »

I know, right?!?!  That was the first thing I thought about when I lifted the bike off the gravel.  I read a tale of another Hyper owner's 0 mph driveway tip-over that had a price tag of $3,000.  I think I held my breath the entire time I checked the bike over...  I'll need to get some pics so y'all can see the extent of the damage.  I will say that I am very glad I replaced the bars and handguards, though.  That would have been about $1500 in OEM bits...  Roll Eyes

junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 03:28:34 PM »

Those $3,000 tabs are for owners who want every piece cosmetically perfect, even if its mechanically/structurally fine but has a scratch on it.

Ronr

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 03:39:47 PM »

Those $3,000 tabs are for owners who want every piece cosmetically perfect, even if its mechanically/structurally fine but has a scratch on it.

Says the King of Bling  laughingdp
junior varsity
loves ze desmodromics.

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 05:09:41 PM »

covered in bug splatters/plenty o scratches bling, to you sir!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: