Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 14, 2024, 02:25:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Independent Service? The Desert Desmo Thread  (Read 67862 times)
DonJuanDucati

« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2011, 01:23:54 PM »

Same hose split, this time instead of at the nipple of the pump outlet, it split at the fuel filter nipple. Just cut it, got rid of the clamp, and put on a new worm gear clamp. Hopefully the hose will last long enough for me to ride it over. I'm thinking Monday evening (6pm ish) may be a good time for me to bring it over.
gfitzgi

« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2011, 05:25:39 AM »

Hey Stu or Scott,

I have a question for the maybe either of you when you have time.

I have always had false neutrals between every gear since I got my '03 620.  I know it is a common problem with a fair amount of Ducs, but they seem to be getting "wider".  Especially the one from 4th to 5th.  I have always wanted to go to the 6 speed any way, I am getting quickly to my 12k service and am wondering two things.

Can I adjust/shim the tranny I have to get the neutrals "smaller"?

Do you know what years 6 speed transmissions our fit my machine?

No huge rush, just always been a topic of curiosity for me, and with the gaps seeming easier to hit as the miles build I am hoping I am not going to "need" a new transmission too soon.

I have never done any transmission work before so know next to nothing about them.  I learn fast however, and am not afraid to tear anything apart.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.
Duck-Stew

« Reply #122 on: October 02, 2011, 02:43:47 PM »

Hey Scott,

There's a spring under the alternator cover which does get weak over time which could cause the issue you're having w/false neutrals.  The spring costs $5, but it's 1.2 hours to R&R.  While 'in there' we can set your shift mechanism to it's factory setting (if it's moved as they sometimes do) which will also help w/shifting...

As far as the 6-speed goes, it would be cheaper to buy a later model 620 engine (I have 1 BTW) which already has the 6-speed trans and the APTC slipper-clutch in it.

PM me and we can discuss motor swaps and services... waytogo

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
Zaster
Only Pam can touch my

2007 S4RS (sold) , 2008 1098S (sold), 2013 1199R,

« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2011, 07:30:17 PM »

Thank you for the chain and sprocket service with lifetime warranty to boot waytogo
Cloner
Nah...I ain't no stinkin'

....because a mind is a terrible thing......

« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2011, 07:47:34 PM »

Use them well, Karl.  I'm glad we could help you out!

For those not "in the know", Desert Desmo LLC is now an authorized Supersprox dealer.  If we supply and install a kit consisting of a Supersprox front sprocket, Supersprox rear sprocket, and quality RK or Isis chain, we can offer them with a LIFETIME warranty!  (nontransferable, of course, but still.......)  The next chain and sprockets you buy could literally be your last.  Get 'em while they're hot!!!

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'67 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS (race bike)
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'03 Ducati 800 SS (race bike)
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (race bike)
DucMouse the Mighty
At least the smartess part of my body is my

« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2011, 09:56:05 AM »

I would like to thank you guys for doing the swing arm for me

spankin™

Copy. Calibration error = humidity, altitude, attitude to tutu, distraction from tutu, stereotype naked rat bikes, human error due to heat, tutu and jealousy!
JJ

RED DEVIL PROPELLED WITH LOUD DESMO~~FIRE~~

« Reply #126 on: November 14, 2011, 01:06:50 PM »

I would like to thank you guys for doing the swing arm for me

Splendid! When we fly??? Dolph
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:09:32 PM by JJ » Logged

Ride forever...
DonJuanDucati

« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2012, 03:00:24 PM »

Hey, just changed my oil and a found some small magnetic shavings on my plug. Very small, mostly dust sized. I didn't find any thing bigger in my filter and I didn't check the prefilter. From what I read this is just normal transmission wear?
Duck-Stew

« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2012, 09:10:54 PM »

Hey, just changed my oil and a found some small magnetic shavings on my plug. Very small, mostly dust sized. I didn't find any thing bigger in my filter and I didn't check the prefilter. From what I read this is just normal transmission wear?

Generally, a small to moderate amount of metallic 'dust' is normal.  When you get an excessive amount, or larger bits...  Then you have issues.

I wouldn't be concerned unless we're talking about a dust-ball larger than a dime.

DonJuanDucati

« Reply #129 on: March 28, 2012, 03:13:59 AM »

Nah, nowhere near that much.
Cloner

« Reply #130 on: March 28, 2012, 06:51:10 AM »

You're good to go, then.  Don't put 'em back in there, though.   Wink

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
future rs

« Reply #131 on: March 28, 2012, 01:02:39 PM »

how much is the general time and cost of the valve check/adjustment? another 200 miles and ill be needing to get it done.

Duck-Stew

« Reply #132 on: March 28, 2012, 07:33:17 PM »

how much is the general time and cost of the valve check/adjustment? another 200 miles and ill be needing to get it done.

Depends on the bike & motor.  Feel free to PM me here & we can discuss.

Stuart

Cloner

« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2012, 05:30:05 AM »

How many miles on your 848 Beau?  I should remember, but I don't.

Anyway, it depends on whether you want a full service or just the valve check/adjustment.

The full service is 6 hours for minor service (7500 mi) and 8 hours for major (15000 mi) on your four valver.  We'll shave 30 minutes if you'll remove the side fairings for the minor and ALL the fairings (including the headlight fairing) for the major.  Labor is $76 per hour (including shop supplies) and parts are extra, though we pass along whatever discount we can, and we get a good deal on lots of things.

For either service you should expect the cost of oil, filter, and drain plug gasket at a minimum.  If it's a major service, or it's been more than two years since they were replaced,  you should expect to replace the timing belts.  We can get a set of those at such a good price that I'm not legally allowed to publish it on this or any forum.....but suffice it to say we get excellent pricing from California Cycleworks on their ExactFit belts.  For a major you'll also need new coolant and a prescreen gasket, and spark plugs are a good idea.  We check and change several other things, but their cost is included in the price of the service.

If you JUST want the valves checked, and wish to do the rest for yourself, we'll check the valves for 4 hours labor if you remove the fairings.  That four hours includes the cost of installing new belts (but not the cost of the belts themselves) if you want them changed, as we have to remove them to check the valves, anyway.

There are several other things we can do in addition to the standard service at your request.  The most common is a fork oil change that requires 1 hour additional labor if you want that done.

Holler when you're ready!

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
future rs

« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2012, 07:38:56 AM »

its a 4 valver. im currently at 7300 miles.

ill be doing the belt/valves/and just a general check over on the bike (chain etc.)

i may concider the fork oil as well.

Oil was just changed 400 miles ago along with the clutch.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: