Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 17, 2024, 03:19:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Independent Service? The Desert Desmo Thread  (Read 68347 times)
Cloner
Nah...I ain't no stinkin'

....because a mind is a terrible thing......

« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2012, 07:13:00 AM »

If you'll pull the fairings, and we deduct a half hour for the oil change, that leaves 5 hours for a 7500 mile service on your 848....plus the cost of a set of belts.  I'll go ahead and order a set if you like, so we can turn it around quickly.  Just holler when you're ready and we'll knock it out.

Bear in mind that the bike has to be cold when we adjust the valves, so if you ride it over we'll have to let it sit overnight before we can check valve clearances.

It's also better if you bring it in just after your roll over 7500 miles, not before.  The maintenance message will pop up at 7500 miles and has to be reset after it pops up.  It can't be reset proactively.   Wink

Fork oil should be OK with only 7500 miles on the bike.  I'd wait until 15k.

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'67 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS (race bike)
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'03 Ducati 800 SS (race bike)
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (race bike)
JJ

RED DEVIL PROPELLED WITH LOUD DESMO~~FIRE~~

« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2012, 01:35:17 PM »

Thanks for details Scott...keeps us on the right perspective with maintenance, requirements and costs. I will be next in line for 15k on the beast...guess about 400 more to pop the maintenance menu. You may have done few things relevant to major service on mine already...thanks to frequent visits and bike abuse. But, will start saving up... waytogo

Ride forever...
Cloner

« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2012, 12:10:02 PM »

There's good news, and there's better news.  I'll start with the good.

Desert Desmo has set up an account with Galfer, so if you need brake rotors, hoses, pads, or other Galfer products in the future we'll be able to get you good pricing and delivery on anything in their catalog!

Now the better......we have to place an initial order and we want to make it a doosie, so we're offering all of our friends(that's you) a ONE TIME ONLY offer so good that we can't tell you what it is because it would violate our marketing agreement.  If you're interested in anything in Galfer's catalog, look up the part number and give us a shout for a quote that'll blow your socks off!  Don't forget to ask about installation for your new purchase, too.

You can see what Galfer have to offer at http://www.galferusa.com/

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
Plumbers Crack
Crack Kills

« Reply #138 on: April 10, 2012, 01:18:22 PM »

2 front rotor and rear one 2.  Gold if possible ..  Maybe some cool new lines.  Colored..

Plus I owe Stew one set of pads..  Plus a new set of pads for the bike front and rear..

Would it be a up-grade to put new lines on my bike?

M
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 01:26:36 PM by Plumbers Crack » Logged

Sorry I don't have a censor button.. I Speak whats on my mind.
Cloner

« Reply #139 on: April 10, 2012, 02:16:12 PM »

What year is your 800, Matt?  Does it have stainless braided lines or rubber ones?

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
Duck-Stew

« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2012, 07:02:04 AM »

Just an FYI:  I'm doing a LOT of spring cleaning...  Misc. Duc parts galore!

Here's a link to my ad in the 'Parts For Sale' board:

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=56065.0

(which also links to my eBay page of items for sale...)

Prices will be much reduced for cash and carry deals (I'd rather not line the pockets of Ebay or Paypal anymore than I already am)

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
DucMouse the Mighty
At least the smartess part of my body is my

« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2012, 07:21:56 AM »

What year is your 800, Matt?  Does it have stainless braided lines or rubber ones?

it's an 05, but could't tell you if its braided or rubber....

spankin™

Copy. Calibration error = humidity, altitude, attitude to tutu, distraction from tutu, stereotype naked rat bikes, human error due to heat, tutu and jealousy!
Plumbers Crack
Crack Kills

« Reply #142 on: April 11, 2012, 09:34:10 AM »

What year is your 800, Matt?  Does it have stainless braided lines or rubber ones?

05  and yes it has ss already

But I have s4r rotors and calipers on there now and front forks off of a st4

Sorry I don't have a censor button.. I Speak whats on my mind.
Duck-Stew

« Reply #143 on: April 11, 2012, 02:01:20 PM »

05  and yes it has ss already

But I have s4r rotors and calipers on there now and front forks off of a st4

S4R, S2R800 and ST4 all share the same bolt patterns for calipers and rotors.

(S4Rs, however, is different but you're not running those parts)

If you want *bling*, however, Galfer does make S.S. lines in different colors!

Bike-less Portuguese immigrant enjoying life.
DonJuanDucati

« Reply #144 on: April 23, 2012, 06:03:04 PM »

Hey, so my clutch is rattling more than usual. So I took it apart to see if  I could find anything unusual. As far as other symptoms, there aren't really any, no slippage, etc.

I found this ring around the hub...

Exactly where this bushing is in the clutch pack...

I have no idea if this is normal. The bushing does sit around the hub pretty tight, and the friction plate that goes around it is fairly loose, so I don't know if it's just normal wear from movement between those two parts. It seems like it could be indicative of something bad to me. Or maybe I'm being paranoid, and finally running the bike hard this weekend meant that some clearance finally built up between the friction plate tangs and the basket, making it noisier than I used to.  Huh?
Cloner

« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2012, 09:36:01 AM »

The spacer definitely caused the odd wear on the hub, but it's not what's causing the noise.

The noise is caused by play between the tabs on the OD of the friction plates beating against the faces of the tangs on the clutch basket as the cush behind the basket loads and unloads with engine power pulses.  It's easy to think that the clutch only drives one way, but that's not really the case.  It actually operates in a cyclical series of loadings and unloadings as the engine fires.  At low engine speeds (for instance....at idle) this is exacerbated because the pulses are spaced far enough apart for the rubber in the cushes to rebound in the direction opposite normal travel and have the plates beat against the opposite tang on the hub.  I hope I said that the same way I thought it.   Wink

The teeth on the ID of the steel plates fits much tighter against the hub, so they don't generally make much noise.

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
DonJuanDucati

« Reply #146 on: April 24, 2012, 12:18:33 PM »

Yeah, I guess now that I think about it, it sounds pretty similar to how the bike sounded before I put in the new basket and clutch pack. I guess the new pack and basket have been so quiet that I just wasn't used to it when some wear finally started to show up. HOWEVER, it does seem slightly quieter since I took it apart and put it back together, nothing felt loose as I was taking it apart, and it shouldn't have been since I torqued everything to the correct settings and used locktite. *Shrug*
Cloner

« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2012, 02:05:38 PM »

Don't loctite the six spring bolts.  It's not necessary, and they should be easy to disassemble so they can be pulled at each service to inspect the clutch plates and blow out the clutch assembly.

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'04 KTM 450 EXC
DonJuanDucati

« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2012, 02:11:59 PM »

I didn't.  Tongue
nicrosato
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a

Red Dog with Yellow Dog

« Reply #149 on: May 07, 2012, 06:28:41 PM »

A consultation request for the Desmo Deserters:

My '01 M900 here is seeping fuel from near the hinge plate on the bottom rear of the tank. Reading a thread in Tech, I believe that, sometime in my confused past, I committed the sin of lifting the tank up when it was fully fueled.

Here's my question: I have not spoken with my local dealer/mechanic yet, but I will probably go ahead and remove the tank. What I wondering is if I am better off shipping it to DucPainter or trying to get it fixed locally. I know this is a weird one to answer at long distance, but Nate has done some painting for me in the past & I find him very professional.

Just wondering...

Nobody said that I did. Everyone says that I would.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: