Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 07:48:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Papa's got a brand new Bag(ger)  (Read 4547 times)
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« on: June 09, 2008, 07:37:24 AM »

Sorry -- I know it's probably getting off on the wrong foot to use the word "Bagger" in the vicinity of my sexy new Duc, but I'm 'bout ready to bust some James Brown moves in celebration of getting home late last night with this splendid 1998 ST2 after a long, long round trip from Prescott to Bisbee:

Thanks immensely to Alan Sean for the loan of his trailer -- breakfast in Yarnell's on me next time, Alan!

It's in pristine condition -- or was until I ignored that little voice in my head that disagreed when the fellow selling the bike told me the hard bags would be safer in the back of the truck, where they both picked up new scratches.  bang head  Look for my query in the tech section later today about touch-up paint.  Angry

Still, I rode it for about half an hour in the canyon around Bisbee before buying, and GOOD GAWD YAWL, I FE-EEL GOOD. (Ba-da-ba-da-ba-da-bump) I KNEW THAT I WOULD, NOW...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 08:59:30 AM by triangleforge » Logged

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
alansean

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 04:10:27 PM »

That's a great looking bike!

Don't worry about the bags, you won't use 'em that often. No bags to Yarnell, that way we don't back those homemade goodies back home!

Let's do a Yarnell run this Friday morning. Say 7 am?

At least I have a positive attitude about my destructive habits.
Dietrich

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 07:17:09 PM »

I've secretly been admiring the ST series bikes since I fell in love with the Monster......

Great looking bike and nice color! Congrats!

NAKID

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 08:08:58 PM »

Only thing I really don't like about the ST is the headlight. If there was an aftermarket good looking one, it would definitely be on my list...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 08:14:02 PM »

Only thing I really don't like about the ST is the headlight. If there was an aftermarket good looking one, it would definitely be on my list...

Yeah, me neither; even worse than looking bad, the high beam on it is probably the most pathetic thing I've seen this side of a VW Bug with a dead battery.  The seller mentioned this company, Ducati Designs, that does a double lens one that drops straight in:

http://www.ducatidesigns.com/inc/sdetail/35

Supposedly it's also a huge improvement in light output as well. I think it's a slight improvement in looks over the stock unit, but might definitely be worth it for the way things look in front of the bike while it's moving.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 08:16:06 PM by triangleforge » Logged

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »

Let's do a Yarnell run this Friday morning. Say 7 am?

Absolutely!  Same meet-up at the Starbucks, or is there a place that works better for you?

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
NAKID

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 08:20:32 PM »

Yeah, me neither; even worse than looking bad, the high beam on it is probably the most pathetic thing I've seen this side of a VW Bug with a dead battery.  The seller mentioned this company, Ducati Designs, that does a double lens one that drops straight in:

Supposedly it's also a huge improvement in light output as well. I think it's a slight improvement in looks over the stock unit, but might definitely be worth it for the way things look in front of the bike while it's moving.

That's definitely better, I don't know that it's worth $575 but it's a huge improvement...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
Dietrich

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 08:23:30 PM »

Yeah, me neither; even worse than looking bad, the high beam on it is probably the most pathetic thing I've seen this side of a VW Bug with a dead battery.
applause Grin

The seller mentioned this company, Ducati Designs, that does a double lens one that drops straight in:

There's a local guy who shows up at the club meetings sometimes who has that kit, it does look nice, and he praises it's improvement.

FatguyRacer

The A-hole fomerly known as Blueshark928

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 03:41:39 AM »

Brad - It is the best 600 bucks you can spend on your ST if you ride at night. I love mine. The 2nd best thing appears to have been done for you by the PO.

Here's what mine looks like. I have the Ducati Performance comfort fairing, so it will look different from yours.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 11:28:49 AM by FatguyRacer » Logged

John Krawczyk
2002 Ducati ST4s (FIM chip, Arrow Carbys, Sargent seat, DP comfort fairing, Ducati Designs headlight, Toby steering dampener)
My Blog - The Chronicles of Fatguy Racer
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 07:38:04 AM »

Brad - It is the best 600 bucks you can spend on your ST if you right at night. I love mine. The 2nd best thing appears to have been done for you by the PO.

I'm intrigued; what's the second best thing that appears to already be done? 

The two main things he did to the bike were adding a very nice Sargent seat  waytogo and raising/moving back the bar position using Convertibars. I'm less convinced on those, but I'm going to live with them for a while, and have the stock bars if I want to convert back. And after replacing one cooked regulator/rectifier (these bikes are famous for overheating the regulator, which is tucked behind the fairing), he mounted the new one with a heat conducting electrical paste & drilled four very neat 1" holes in the fairing inside the wheel well that let the component get some air. You'd never notice unless you were looking for it, and if you did notice the mod, it looks stock. Apparently that's one of two standard fixes for the problem, the other being a regulator relocation bracket made by Desmo Times that pulls the component out from behind the fairing and mounts it in the airstream just above the radiator.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 08:53:20 AM by triangleforge » Logged

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
NAKID

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 08:30:31 AM »

I'm guessing he meant the Sargent seat. The stock one looks kinda funny...

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 08:51:39 AM »

I'm guessing he meant the Sargent seat. The stock one looks kinda funny...

Ah, right -- when I first read it, I thought the "riding at night" clause applied to both!

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
FatguyRacer

The A-hole fomerly known as Blueshark928

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 11:26:13 AM »

I'm intrigued; what's the second best thing that appears to already be done? 

The two main things he did to the bike were adding a very nice Sargent seat  waytogo and raising/moving back the bar position using Convertibars. I'm less convinced on those, but I'm going to live with them for a while, and have the stock bars if I want to convert back. And after replacing one cooked regulator/rectifier (these bikes are famous for overheating the regulator, which is tucked behind the fairing), he mounted the new one with a heat conducting electrical paste & drilled four very neat 1" holes in the fairing inside the wheel well that let the component get some air. You'd never notice unless you were looking for it, and if you did notice the mod, it looks stock. Apparently that's one of two standard fixes for the problem, the other being a regulator relocation bracket made by Desmo Times that pulls the component out from behind the fairing and mounts it in the airstream just above the radiator.

The Sargent seat.

I've already replaced a regulator and I bought and installed a couple of Powerlet wiring kits. One for the starter and the other for the accessory plug. Those are nice too. The wiring is a bit on the light side for both. Especially the accessory plug. 3 amp wiring aint gonna cut it with a 75 watt Gerbings jacket liner. The kit boosts it up to 15 amp wireing.

The only things left for me to do are wire up the turn signals for hazzard flashers and install heated grips.

John Krawczyk
2002 Ducati ST4s (FIM chip, Arrow Carbys, Sargent seat, DP comfort fairing, Ducati Designs headlight, Toby steering dampener)
My Blog - The Chronicles of Fatguy Racer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: