Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 08:38:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speed capabilities S4R - S2R  (Read 11451 times)
Big Troubled Bear
The wrong side of normal

98 m900 sold, Red 696

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2008, 05:33:48 AM »

Let the devil decide, but keep the rubber side down waytogo

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MostroS2R

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2008, 05:38:17 AM »

I love my s2r800. I don't race so the brakes and suspension are perfect for what I need them to do.
I get over 40mpg even when I push it.

Rocco
07 S2R
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2008, 11:01:52 AM »

Yesterday I decided to get the 1k - based upon a gut feeling - it just felt necessary.
So today, I tested it at my dealer - full Termi included.

I'm very happy because I will not have to spend the $12,000 between my '07 800 and a new Termized 1k. You see, it didn't even come close to impress me over my 800. Faster yes, but IMO only a little.

My mind is now back to making my 800 work the best it can for me (rebuilding suspension and brakes). That mindset is very in tune with my emotions and I'm looking forward to a long relationship with my bike. The little devil on my shoulder is gone.

You guys, and some soulsearching, enlightened me on the subject. It feels good to have done the work on deciding/redeciding. Of course, I don't rule out that a S4R will be of interest in the future. I will cross that bridge when and if I get to it. 

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Cucciolo

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2008, 01:15:59 PM »

Have you tried an S4R? If not, you should.
The S4R is a lot of fun... if your 800 makes you smile, then be assured that the S4R will draw a smile on your face ala Joker !! waytogo I liked the power of the 800 when I had the chance to ride it.. but the amount of torque a 4 valve puts out is much more impressive. It won't be such as smooth as your 2v though and your clutch pull will be harder on the S4R. I wish the S4R was as smooth as your 800 and had a clutch pull light as yours as well. Also, I wish I had mine to go for a ride this weekend.. instead it is at the shop waiting for a new clutch...  bang head long story.. read the thread about the 3k miles clutch on the general forum and you'll feel my pain!  vomit
big ed

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2008, 01:18:31 PM »

Glad to hear the easy decision after a test ride.  Even better to hear that the devil may still be just over the horizion with twice the # of valves.

I know it is for me.   Evil

As for the s2r 800, even a minimal change of fork oil and springs-as opposed to completely replacing forks-makes a world of difference with the Marsuckies.  I couldn't swing the SBK fork swap, but those fork changes and a new shock have dramatically increased my confidence in the bike...to the point that my average fuel economy has dropped from 40mpg to about 35mpg.  

I can ride the bike that much harder through the twisties.  Granted, my weight really overtaxed the stock fork springs, so as always, YMMV.
COWBOY

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2008, 01:58:14 PM »

Stop:

Glad you worked through it and found your answer.  Keep up the posts with how you decided to proceed with your upgrades.

CWBY

P.S.   Let's put this in context for all you "get an S4R" posters....

For an additional $17K over the cost of the S4R (which is what the S4R upgrade would cost him) you could upgrade to a 1098R here in the USA.  You should take one for a ride.  I'm sure the power and handling will blow your mind.  You won't regret making the switch.

Grin   Evil   Grin

His question was more one of economics and investment than power band for his size.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 02:03:20 PM by COWBOY » Logged

2005 S2R -- Mods installed: DP termi full racing kit, ST4 Forks, S4R rear shock, 999 Radial Brake and Clutch MCs, 4 pot Brembo Calipers, 320mm Snowflake rotors, SBK Quick change carrier, 43T rear sproket, Tomaselli Clip Ons, Cyclecat Frame Sliders, ASV Levers, zero indicators, Supernova taillight
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2008, 03:00:58 PM »

P.S.   Let's put this in context for all you "get an S4R" posters....

For an additional $17K over the cost of the S4R (which is what the S4R upgrade would cost him) you could upgrade to a 1098R here in the USA.  You should take one for a ride.  I'm sure the power and handling will blow your mind.  You won't regret making the switch.

Hmmm... laughingdp 1098R $84,000 minus selling my 800 for $22,000 = $62,000 on my MasterCard applause       Do NOT think so Roll Eyes
Besides; I would most probably end up under the wrong heading in some statistics.

Don't you find our taxes absurd? The good thing (?) is that in light of prices for bikes almost any mods seem cheap Wink

I'll keep you posted on the steps to come - although it will take some time before the suspension work starts.

COWBOY

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2008, 05:46:58 PM »

Hmmm... laughingdp 1098R $84,000 minus selling my 800 for $22,000 = $62,000 on my MasterCard applause       Do NOT think so Roll Eyes
Besides; I would most probably end up under the wrong heading in some statistics.

Don't you find our taxes absurd? The good thing (?) is that in light of prices for bikes almost any mods seem cheap Wink

I'll keep you posted on the steps to come - although it will take some time before the suspension work starts.

cheeky

I certainly wasn't suggesting you buy one.   "Here in the US" are the main words in the analogy.

in the USA a S2R costs 8500 US Dollars, S4R is roughly 14000 USD and a 1098R is approx. 31K USD.   The main point being others suggesting you spend an extra 17K to upgrade to a S4R is about as ridiculous as my suggesting they upgrade to a 1098R here in the US.  The difference in price is not a small amount of cash.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 05:52:42 PM by COWBOY » Logged

2005 S2R -- Mods installed: DP termi full racing kit, ST4 Forks, S4R rear shock, 999 Radial Brake and Clutch MCs, 4 pot Brembo Calipers, 320mm Snowflake rotors, SBK Quick change carrier, 43T rear sproket, Tomaselli Clip Ons, Cyclecat Frame Sliders, ASV Levers, zero indicators, Supernova taillight
Cucciolo

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2008, 06:47:57 PM »

get a used S4R waytogo have your mechanic check it first though! Cool
IowaS4r

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2008, 07:27:59 PM »

I got an '04 S4r after an 800ss.  Holy cow what a difference.  On the 1/8 mile track, I could not keep the front end down at all.  I think top end is 150 ish.  My 1098s is more of a best yet.  Top end on that is supposed to be 160 ish.  I really liked my 800; very good road manners and usable power.   The suspension on the 1098s is unreal.  First thing I noticed was how smooth it was, and handling is better than anything I have riden.  Upgrade you 800 and you will enjoy that more than dropping the cash on a bigger motor.

Comments and opinions expressed by IowaS4r are solely those of my mind, and in no way reflect upon the true character of my person.   In the event a remark is inaccurate or inflammatory in nature, I can not be held liable for damages due to the interpretation or lack thereof.  All persons reading this post are hereby advised that they have indeed wasted a period of time from their life that they will never get back.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2008, 02:40:10 AM »

cheeky

I certainly wasn't suggesting you buy one.   "Here in the US" are the main words in the analogy.

in the USA a S2R costs 8500 US Dollars, S4R is roughly 14000 USD and a 1098R is approx. 31K USD.   The main point being others suggesting you spend an extra 17K to upgrade to a S4R is about as ridiculous as my suggesting they upgrade to a 1098R here in the US.  The difference in price is not a small amount of cash.

I got your point - I'm just playing with any ideas that are posted. A free spirit and curious mind or something like that Cheesy

I got an '04 S4r after an 800ss.  Holy cow what a difference.  On the 1/8 mile track, I could not keep the front end down at all.  I think top end is 150 ish.  My 1098s is more of a best yet.  Top end on that is supposed to be 160 ish.  I really liked my 800; very good road manners and usable power.   The suspension on the 1098s is unreal.  First thing I noticed was how smooth it was, and handling is better than anything I have riden.  Upgrade you 800 and you will enjoy that more than dropping the cash on a bigger motor.

That is my plan, at the moment waytogo

get a used S4R waytogo have your mechanic check it first though! Cool

If/when my plan to be in a happy relationship with my 800 fails - a used S4R does seem like the logical option. Although, in a few years something new and even more interesting might have come along - part of the exciting Ducatitisti life style, I guess - enjoying it big time Cool

duc996

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2008, 04:26:34 AM »

+1

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: