Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 09:37:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many miles....  (Read 5122 times)
Ducgirl

Racing Red 696 re-mapped w/Termi's & Marchesinis

« on: October 21, 2010, 05:27:41 PM »

Hi... I am really new at riding and was wondering about how many miles do you need to ride before it gets really comfortable!  I am at about 400 and I'm still not totally confident . I know that isn't very much time on the bike but it is getting much better.I'm not a speed freak even on a bicycle so 65mph seems plenty fast and I'm sure I will be able to calm down a lot more as I get mileage. It is lots of fun and unfortunately winter is coming along with the snow so I will be off the bike for a few months!  Thanks for your comments... Roll Eyes
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 05:02:52 AM »

Well, hate to say, but everyone is different. So no one can really say for you. Obviously, practice helps - so keep going!

Also, education helps. We've got the Riding Techniques section:
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?www;board=8
- There's some fluff, but also some very useful discussions in there. If you've got a particular question, that's a good spot to gets some other riders perspectives.

There's also a couple books that are worth picking up. Lee Parks - Total Control and David Hough - Proficient Motorcycling series

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
badgalbetty

its never too late to be who you might have been

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 06:38:27 AM »

yes, everyone is different. I have had 18 motorbikes and 30 years of riding. I have probably ridden just about everything out there in one form or another as I used to be a motorbike mechanic at a dealership .
As an experienced rider my advice to take a training course and then this is the most important bit of advice I can give you.

RIDE AT YOUR OWN COMFORT LEVEL.  waytogo

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRY AND KEEP UP WITH ANYONE IF YOU DO NOT FEEL CONFIDENT- EVER. waytogo

IT WILL RESULT IN INJURY OR DEATH.

So everyone is different everyones skills and abilities are different, take your time, enjoy it for what it is and when you are ready to try new things do so with caution. At all times use your mirrors and try your hardest not to get target fixation. Look at the path you want the bike to go and it will go there. Keep your speed down , wear appropriate clothing and never use alcohol whilst riding. waytogo

Enjoy your bike!
Best wishes
Erica.

"Its never too late to be who you might have been" - George Elliot.
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 09:00:42 AM »

400 miles isn't very much, don't feel bad about not having confidence. Smiley  You'll probably feel much better with a few thousand miles under your belt.

What I found really helped me was commuting on my bike...doing the same route every day.  Something you can try when spring rolls around.  Also I found that it's best not to try to work on too many new skills at once, the brain just can't handle it.  One new thing at a time is plenty.

Try to enjoy your winter break, good time to catch up on reading. waytogo

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
Grrrly

Industrial Grrrl

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 02:50:28 PM »

curious, are you riding with anyone? or alone?

Ducgirl

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 05:34:04 PM »

Hi. I have been riding mostly on my own, short jaunts around the neighborhood with a return to my house on a 55mph two lane for about 2 miles. I have gone out with my hubby on a couple of 60 milers on two lane somewhat curvy roads. We live in the mountains so the riding is really nice and not crowded. We are in a small ski town. I have taken the MSF and it was great,learned a lot. Thanks for all the comments by the way.  I think my biggest concern is wildlife possibly jumping out and getting used to having to make a quick stop. Hasn't happened yet, but it's a worry for me. I think I'm OK with looking ahead and having good concentration with what's happening ahead.
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 05:47:28 PM »

I think my biggest concern is wildlife possibly jumping out and getting used to having to make a quick stop. Hasn't happened yet, but it's a worry for me.

I live in the mountains and after 35,000+ miles that is still a worry for me. Wink

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
Grrrly

Industrial Grrrl

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 02:35:24 PM »

I live in the mountains and after 35,000+ miles that is still a worry for me. Wink

yeah I don't think that concern goes away.  My suggestion would be to find a parking lot if possible,  that you can continue to practice emergency stops in as well as evasive maneuvers as you may not always have time/room to stop.

I know for myself my confidence increased when I rode with other people.  In the beginning for me, I would ride with cruiser riders, as they usually ride (in group rides)  at a "newbie" pace  Wink no offense to cruisers.  Then as my confidence rose, I rode with my current boyfriend as well as with sportbike riders.

my $.02,
Michelle
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 12:39:37 PM by IndustrialGrrrl » Logged

Ducgirl

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 04:02:46 PM »

Good ideas. The parking lot thing is good for stopping practice. I should do more of it I know. Actually I do have a friend who rides a cruiser and she is learning also so I should probably give it a try riding with her. Wink
badgalbetty

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 06:51:52 PM »

I reckon I have around 300,000 miles on two wheels all in.I have been privelidged to ride some very rare bikes in my time and for that I am thankful. waytogo

Ducgirl

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 02:55:30 PM »

Wow! I'm impressed! Have you ridden all over the U.S.? Alone or with someone?? Smiley
badgalbetty

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 05:12:30 AM »

I have ridden motorcycles in the UK, Germany, France, Belguim, Holland, Australia, USA, Jamacia,
Oregon, Washington, Idaho, California,Florida,Texas, Lousiana.
Its been a fun ride. I started riding when I was 15 and will be 47 in January.........Oh Crap!I have ridden a lot of miles by myself and lots of miles with various clubs I have been a member of over the years.My longest one day ride was was Frankurt Germany, back home to London in one night . It was a 12 hour trip on my old 650 Triumph with a trip on a Ferry between France and England. It rained all night I was cold and wet but got back in time for work.
Another Marathon ride was from Couer D alene Idaho to Sacramneto California in a day. Thats was a good slog in hot hot hot weather. I came over the pass on Mt Shasta at 5pm and it was 106* ...........I love warm weather!
So yes there have been some long rides and some short ones fast ones and slow ones. I won a slow ride contest at a bike party once on my old 1938 Enfield and also got stopped for speeding at 156 in a 35. I must be mad.
A check arrived today for my Ducati so this bike will be gone when the other part of the payment arrivesand they are cashed.
 I will be using the cash for some slicing and dicing in Thailand........Smiley
Be well and ride safely!
BGB

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: