Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 12:23:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 Twisted Sisters  (Read 3775 times)
Venom51

« on: November 02, 2010, 09:38:02 AM »

Went with my friend Kevin (he's got a Ural) to ride the Three Sisters (RR335, RR336, and RR377) out south of Junction, TX. The first day we rode from Austin to Junction.

We rode west out of Austin on Hamilton Pool Road (RR 3238/FM 962). Nice road, beautiful day. Stopped by Packsaddle Mountain.

Through Llano and on into Mason.

for lunch at Taqueria Los Santos (it was delicious!):

Then we took HWY29 and RR2092 up through Menard and down to Fort McKavett.

We stayed at the Legends Inn in Junction. - $34/night - and I’ve stayed in places for over a hundred that aren’t half as nice - or half as clean. Highly recommended if you’re in the area - the folks running it are great and they even have rags in your room for cleaning your bike and gear. http://www.thelegendsinn.com

We headed South out of Junction on 377 to do the Three Sisters loop and then we were headed in to Fredericksburg for the night.
It was a little cold that morning:

377 follows the South Llano River for about fifteen miles.

Then it rises up onto the top of the Edwards Plateau. Really nice road.

We took 41 East to RR335, the first of the Sisters. We were riding counter clockwise - so we started up on the Edwards plateau, and followed RR335 down off the plateau into the canyon of the Nueces River. RR337 cuts over the hills from Nueces Canyon into the canyon of the Frio River. RR336 then runs up and out of the Canyon to the North - ending up back on the Edwards Plateau.

These are popular motorcycle roads, and get crowded. Not everyone pays attention - so a reminder from our friends and TxDOT

Lots of fun up and down on 335.

Near Vance there’s someone who likes camels - there were at least 3 in this pasture.

We gassed up in Camp Wood then cut east on RR337 to climb over the divide between the Nueces and the Frio.

We did a quick lunch in Leakey at the Bent Rim Grill - lots of HD folks - all HD folks as far as I could tell - food was ok - but I’d skip it unless I was starving. Headed North out of town onto RR336 to run up the Frio Canyon.

The first ten miles or so of RR336 are amazing up and downhill twisties, then you come up onto the Edwards Plateau - nice views.

The last 20 miles or so are nice Ranch Road - no traffic, easy high speed 2 lane. We got to TX41 and turned east towards Fredericksburg.

And finally, at the Frontier Inn in F’burg.

for dinner:

and then breakfast:

It was a great 3 days and 2 nights.

Greg

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 02:55:15 PM »

Glad you had fun - next time let us know and we'll try and hook up with you  [moto]

2012 M1100 Evo with Termis
Porsche Monkey
JuddDdd likes my

The DMFer formerly known as Ducaholic

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 03:48:19 AM »

Good write up. Awesome roads out there.  waytogo

if I had a vagina...I'd never leave the house

swampduc

'99 996, '07 S2R1000,'08 1098s, '12 1199s

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 07:33:43 AM »

How's the weather out there these days?

Respeta mi autoridad!
Venom51

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 11:27:56 AM »

I'll post a note on the forum next time we go out. I'm hoping to make it out once more before the end of the year. The roads really are beautiful out there. The weather has been terrific overall. There was a little rain and the temperature has dropped a few times but nothing that can't be enjoyed on a Duc.  [moto]
10/10ths

Live to ride, Ride to live.

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 03:57:34 PM »

It's funny, I'm 42 years old.  I grew up in Austin, Texas.  We moved to Austin in 1972.

I started riding FM 335, FM 336, and FM 337 back in 1985.

Back before the interweb and Harley-Davidson's take-over of every lawyer and doctor wanna be rugged individualist who all look the same wild Hog thing took over the planet and made the roads blocked with lines of pod people on hogs, we used to call those roads the "Holy Trinity" roads.

Why "Holy Trinity"?  Because there were three of them.  Because they all started with 33.  And because they were unspoiled, heavenly roads with low water crossings and perfect pavement and ZERO TRAFFIC, much less freakin' fatality signs on them.

But, now the Harley Pod People have taken over.  They want to think they are bad-ass biker dudes who pull smokin' hot pole dancer tail and they declared these magical roads the "Three Twisted Sisters" and sell T-shirts of three skanks on the three FM road signs.

Damn I'm old.

You people suck.

Move back to California.

Give me my roads back.

Now they have freaking signs about fatalities and the low water crossings are all gone, replaced with nice, safe, bland, bridges.

Somebody shoot me.

I'm going for a ride.

vomit

"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow."

Rare, 1 of 400, 1997 Monster 750, Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, '04 Honda RC51
Venom51

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 07:20:20 AM »

It's funny, I'm 42 years old.  I grew up in Austin, Texas.  We moved to Austin in 1972.

I started riding FM 335, FM 336, and FM 337 back in 1985.

Back before the interweb and Harley-Davidson's take-over of every lawyer and doctor wanna be rugged individualist who all look the same wild Hog thing took over the planet and made the roads blocked with lines of pod people on hogs, we used to call those roads the "Holy Trinity" roads.

Why "Holy Trinity"?  Because there were three of them.  Because they all started with 33.  And because they were unspoiled, heavenly roads with low water crossings and perfect pavement and ZERO TRAFFIC, much less freakin' fatality signs on them.

But, now the Harley Pod People have taken over.  They want to think they are bad-ass biker dudes who pull smokin' hot pole dancer tail and they declared these magical roads the "Three Twisted Sisters" and sell T-shirts of three skanks on the three FM road signs.

Damn I'm old.

You people suck.

Move back to California.

Give me my roads back.

Now they have freaking signs about fatalities and the low water crossings are all gone, replaced with nice, safe, bland, bridges.

Somebody shoot me.

I'm going for a ride.

vomit

But it's still beautiful out there and the ride was nice... [moto]
10/10ths

Live to ride, Ride to live.

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 08:35:40 AM »

Roger, THAT!

Glad you made the trip, I'm jealous.  I don't get back to the Hill Country very often these days.  Life does not allow.

Keep those ride reports coming.

chug

drink

[moto]

"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow."

Rare, 1 of 400, 1997 Monster 750, Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, '04 Honda RC51
Pedro-bot

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 08:05:10 PM »

Great pics.  waytogo

1999 M750 AKA Little Blue Monster, 2002 S4, 2006 Sport 1000, 2008 Sport 1000, 2005 749s, 2018 R NineT Urban GS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: