Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 06:10:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trailtech Vapor Complete Rolling Write-Up  (Read 52824 times)
Artful
I'm glad they make pills for my

« on: November 10, 2010, 11:11:46 AM »

Ok, so I've read every thread on this board and many others about the Trailtech Vapor and decided that it is the right solution for Phase 8 or so of Operation Take-Shit-Off-the-Bike. I've never been a fairing guy, and after installing the dual headlights from Monsterparts it became clear that the stock gauges were just too big and stuck up too far. I looked at lowering them, replacing them with smaller options, but all the Motogadget and similar products were ridiculously expensive and limited my options with idiot lights, etc.

The goal of this thread is to document the ENTIRE Trailtech Vapor process, from ordering to install. I will update it as quickly as possible and will try to answer any questions that arise along the way. Any and all insight is appreciated as well, as I'm almost guaranteed to booger up the process at one point or another.

So, here goes nothing.

The Bike
2007 Monster 695

Looks great except for...

Those big honkin' gauges sticking out above everything.

Phase 1 - Ordering
http://www.trailtech.net/vapor.html

I ordered the Stealth kit as I didn't want the goofy Vapor font on my bike, and I ride a Dark Monster so silver looks a bit out of place.

I emailed Trailtech support and asked them which kit to buy. They suggest the 752-600 kit, so that's what I ordered. Two important notes on that: The 752-600 kit DOES include the proper tach wire, but comes with a radiator hose fitting as a temp gauge, which obviously doesn't do much good on an air cooled bike. I emailed their support again and they are shipping me out the correct temp wire FREE of charge (Typically $30 + ship). Their support has been absolutely great to work with so far. Make sure to note you need an aircooled  temp sensor for your order AND what NGK part # plug your bike uses.

I also ordered the Instrument Surround for the gauge so I didn't lose all my idiot lights, or at least the ones that matter. I chose to configure mine with: Neutral, turn signals, oil pressure, and fuel.

The unit itself is fairly small, about half the total real estate of the stock clocks. It is also much thinner, which is going to allow me to nestle it down just past the triples and above the headlights, nearly out of sight for anyone not riding the motorcycle. Here are two pics for size reference:

I may spray it Matte Black at some point, the gloss isn't quite what I'm going for and fingerprints a bit easily.

Shipping was fast and free, two days from CA to MD. All parts arrived packaged well and without damage.

Phase Two: Flashing the ECU

Next I'm sending my ECU to Houston Superbikes http://www.desmoporsche.com (formerly Desmo Porsche) to have the Immobilizer deleted and flashed to DP Race spec. I'm really only interested in the Immo delete, but I figure a few extra ponies and a better fuel curve can't hurt.

The process is as follows: Pull ECU, ship to HS, get billed, ECU ships back, reinstall. I will document that portion of the process as I get there.

That's where I'm at right now. I get frustrated when I find incomplete posts on the web so I'm going to make an effort to make this as picture and video intense as possible every step of the way. I need you guys to keep pestering me so I keep at it!

- Ted

UPDATE 12/27/10

So after my buddy finally passed his motorcycle license exam I can finally up the bike up until the weather warms up. That means time to pull out the ECU.

It's a mind-numbingly easy process. Takes 15 minutes even when taking pictures and with numb fingers.

First, prop up your gas tank with the well designed, rock solid tank prop rod found under your seat... Just kidding, grab a hunk of wood.

After that is up you have great access to the task at hand.

Before you start removing parts all willy nilly let's prevent your ECU from being fried and remove the negative battery cable. Make sure you remove the wire with the terminal on it AND the main negative cable with the gold connector.

Now that that's done with you can start disconnecting the two ECU wiring harnesses.

Press down on the center clip, and rotate the hold down straps toward the center. You will have to give them a little extra push to get them completely released.

This is what the loose clips look like, they must be pushed past this position to be completely removed.

Once they're both released, you can pull the ECU harnesses off easily.

Now that they're disconnected, you just have to remove the bolts holding down the ECU (5mm hex).

Nothing special about these bolts except that the one one left holds down the ECU grounding wire. That will be important during replacement.

Once those two bolts are connected the ECU will come off in your hand.

The ECU got shipped out on Christmas Eve, so it will be a little while before I get it back, but when I do I'll update again with instructions on how to replace it and take care of the TPS reset.

Update 12/30/10

Additional Parts Ordered

To install the gauges two additional electrical connections are required, the receptacle for the stock gauge cluster so you don't have to hack into the harness (killing your resale) and a turn signal relay since the stock one is actually built into the gauges. Here is the information to order both these parts:

Dash Harness Receptacle: Tyco Part No. 6437288-6 http://www.tycoelectronics.com/catalog/bin/TE.Connect?C=1&M=BYPN&TCPN=6437288-6&RQPN=6437288-6

Turn Signal Flasher Relay: Superbright LEDs Part No. G215EB http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/specs/G215-EB.htm

Both parts are on order and in transit.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 07:08:42 AM by Artful » Logged

Every time I meet a new group of your friends that understand you and your weird sense of humor I'm a little more amazed that there are other people in the world like you that lived through childhood - My loving girlfriend
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 03:37:59 PM »

<bookmarked>   coffee

How much is the ECU flash?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 03:40:34 PM by DucHead » Logged

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
Artful

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 06:00:54 PM »

Flash is $250. You can buy a second ECU outright with DP spec for $450.

Every time I meet a new group of your friends that understand you and your weird sense of humor I'm a little more amazed that there are other people in the world like you that lived through childhood - My loving girlfriend
The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 10:27:07 PM »

This is great. I was hoping for a step by step for these gauges.

I'm gonna order them for myself as a Christmas gift......to myself  waytogo

2001 M750 - Sold
2006 S2R 800 - She's just darling
DucHead

No garage queens

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 04:07:56 AM »

Flash is $250. You can buy a second ECU outright with DP spec for $450.

Thanks. 

I'm running a DP ECU that was part of the Termi slip-on kit I used to have on the bike.  If I ever get a re-flash (to drop the immobilizer), I'll send off the stock ECU and continue to run my bike on the DP ECU.

I'll see how complicated the wiring gets.  Although, I bet the complexity of wiring in a new speedo varies a bit from bike to bike.

'05 S4R (>47k mi); '04 Bandit 1200 (>92k mi; sold); '02 Bandit 1200 (>11k mi); '97 Bandit 1200 (2k mi); '13 FJR1300 (1k mi); IBA #28454 "45"
Artful

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 05:21:49 AM »

Added pic of Vapor vs. stock gauges.

The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 03:12:54 PM »

Out of curiosity, do the gauges run on some sort of battery back up? I assume that it isn't hooked up in any of your pics and yet the faces are still reading.

2001 M750 - Sold
Artful

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 05:12:55 PM »

Yeah, it can run on a button battery too for applications without 12V power (dirtbikes, etc).

The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 06:11:19 PM »

Ahhh.

Might I make a suggestion? I don't think I've ever seen button batteries do it, so you might be ok, but I've seen other batteries corrode over time. Just to be safe, it might be a good idea to take that battery out once you have it installed to prevent corrosion and possible failure of the dash.
(Oh, and this is just in case you haven't thought of it already)

Looking forward to the rest of the install. And if possible, could you take pictures of where all the wires are to be attached?

2001 M750 - Sold
Artful

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 06:20:36 PM »

The wiring is my biggest concern, as it is with most people so that's what I plan on focusing on the most in this write-up. The battery is extremely well sealed but I've considered pulling it as well based on how the unit responds to not having it.

The Bearded Duc
a.k.a. duc750

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 01:28:54 AM »

Any further on the install?

2001 M750 - Sold
Artful

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 05:45:22 AM »

Any further on the install?

Not yet, the weather turned for the warmer in the last few weeks so the riding season has been extended a bit. It got cold in the last few days, most likely for good. The plan is to pull the ECU this weekend and get it shipped out. Trailtech got me the correct engine temp wire so I should be pretty well set to start once the ECU is finished.

Duc796canada

My first Ducati and road bike!

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 07:14:14 PM »

I like the dual headlight set up, have you thought about fabricating a fly screen out of aluminum or even carbon fibre. even try the Buell XB fly screen.

796 Red Monster(sans ABS)
Viz-Tec Supabrake II
15/41 gearing(AFAM quick change sprocket)
PC V, NEXTUP QS.
2006 Suzuki GSXR 600 track bike(I know...not a Duc...some day)
Artful

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 05:59:04 AM »

I like the dual headlight set up, have you thought about fabricating a fly screen out of aluminum or even carbon fibre. even try the Buell XB fly screen.

Yep, I'm going to fab a piece out of sheet aluminum that just covers the wiring and breaks the wind coming over the gauge, nothing big. That will be a part of this write up as well.

TJR178

2004 Monster S4R, 2010 HD FLHRC

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 10:32:25 AM »

I like this.

What does the unit go for?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: