Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 06:00:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Consider a move down that way  (Read 6464 times)
BWClark

My mind is going Dave...I can feel it.

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 04:33:11 PM »

Thanks a lot JBubble!

We're not looking for places to crash (we prefer to have our independence and autonomy), we just like to know that there are friendly people that we can maybe have a drink/coffee with and, well, just be friendly with.  chug You've already "personalized" Charlotte, a place I've never been to! Thanks!

I'm not looking for advice on what to do. I've kind of used this as a way to collect my own thoughts, vent some frustrations, conjure up some ideas, and get some basic info and moral support. You've helped me with all that. Thanks again!   waytogo

Brian

Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 04:42:06 PM »

Hey Bubble, thanks for being so helpful.  though it'd probably be gone in my realistic move time frame - I spotted a place or two a block or so SW of East Blvd, and Kenworth Ave - based on your Dilworth rec.  Is that still considered part of Dilworth?  Hows that area?

And in general - how common is it for places to have a garage in those parts?  I'd really like to land a place with garage.

Oh - and I put NoDa in zillow and it wasn't so happy.  Got an intersection or summin' I can reference?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 04:58:09 PM by yuu » Logged

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
BWClark

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 04:52:22 PM »

Hey Bubble, thanks for being so helpful.  though it'd probably be gone in my realistic move time frame - I spotted a place or two a block or so SW of East Blvd, and Kenworth Ave - based on your Dilworth rec.  Is that still considered part of Dilworth?  Hows that area?

And in general - how common is it for places to have a garage in those parts?  I'd really like to land a place with garage.

+1

And thanks yuu, for letting me jack your thread...   Grin
jdubbs32584
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 06:03:30 PM »

Oh - and I put NoDa in zillow and it wasn't so happy.  Got an intersection or summin' I can reference?

Hey guys.

Yuu, East at Kenilworth is part of Dilworth. If you head south down Kenilworth into where it turns into Park rd, you're still in Dilworth. Most of that area around Freedom Park is a good neighborhood. If you start heading towards the Queens University direction you're gonna run into the old money of Charlotte. Big, old, expensive houses on oak lined streets. Dilworth is also very close to Macs, a bar that is consistently voted as the best BBQ joint in town. Its also the place for Euro Bike Night which a lot of ducatis show up to. The new construction in Dilworth is more likely to have garages but will lack the charm of the old houses. You can definitely find places with garages there.

NoDa is short for North Davidson. Its the area that surrounds the intersection of North Davidson St. and 36th St. That area is the major arts district of Charlotte and also part of a huge urban renewal effort. So its a pocket of really cool, awesome homes and apartments and refurbished warehouses surrounded by some neighborhoods that still need to catch up. Its a safe place to live, it just has some areas that need to clean up. Just like Dilworth, the new construction is generally gonna have garages and not all the old houses will.

If you're looking for more suburb type areas, try the University City area. Its just north of Charlotte on Harris Blvd. between I-77 and I-85.

Here's a quick geographic lesson too. 77 and 85 create and X. At the center of the X, just to the east is Downtown where all the big buildings are, including the BofA tower (60 stories). I-485 creates a huge loop around the city, basically touching the edges of the county. It's almost complete with just the northwest section missing. Theres also an inner belt that creates a small loop around downtown itself.
BWClark

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 10:43:25 PM »

Yuu, I've discovered maps.google.com 's feature of streetview. This might be common knowledge amongst you guys on that side of the pacific, but it's new to me as they don't have the feature here on NZ's maps.

It's a nice feature that's let me get a feel for certain parts of Charlotte, cruzin' down Tryon St, checkin the avenues of Dilworth, what's the freeway like? etc.

charlotte.craigslist.org is bookmarked too...   waytogo
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 05:55:17 AM »

Thanks again bubble, and you're very welcome BW - I figured it's in both our interest.  I might have questions that you wouldn't think of and vice versa.

Hmm I use google maps all the time - but I didn't start to scope out things on street view.  Thanks for the tip.

I'm headed down to visit my family in Pinehurst over the 4th weekend.  I'm thinking a trip up to Charlotte for some 1st person looking is in order.

Bubble, anyone else want to play tour guide - or just grab a coffee/beer?

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
DucPete

07 S4R

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 06:33:41 AM »

I'd be up for meeting up for a drink or something too depending on what you're looking for.  Would you be coming down on the bike?

Perhaps a trip to Mac's is in order.  Bubble?

I'm sorry you got all butt-hurt. Now let it go. Deep breath. Just let it goooo....

I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. - Robin Williams
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 06:46:06 AM »

Coming in the cage so I can bring my pooch along for the trip.  Plus if I headed up there it might be with one, another or both parents in tow.  They are adventerous, but 3 up on a Monster  w/ my 2 senior citizen parents seems like a poor plan.

I think I'm going to start a new thread about coming to town so this one doesn't get confused with that junk.

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
COWBOY

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 07:08:30 AM »

Thanks again bubble, and you're very welcome BW - I figured it's in both our interest.  I might have questions that you wouldn't think of and vice versa.

Hmm I use google maps all the time - but I didn't start to scope out things on street view.  Thanks for the tip.

I'm headed down to visit my family in Pinehurst over the 4th weekend.  I'm thinking a trip up to Charlotte for some 1st person looking is in order.

Yuu, give me a call when you get in town.  I live in south Charlotte (Ballantyne) but would meet you.  I second the notion of meeting at Mac's.  No rider can come to Charlotte and not experience it and try the Q.  Besides I owe you a round for riding shotgun down the Dulles Toll Road to Whitlows (one of my first on a street bike) 3 years ago.

CWBY

2005 S2R -- Mods installed: DP termi full racing kit, ST4 Forks, S4R rear shock, 999 Radial Brake and Clutch MCs, 4 pot Brembo Calipers, 320mm Snowflake rotors, SBK Quick change carrier, 43T rear sproket, Tomaselli Clip Ons, Cyclecat Frame Sliders, ASV Levers, zero indicators, Supernova taillight
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 07:11:59 AM »

PM me your number.  I had it from years ago.. from our rain ride.

Also I started a meet up thread to plan out a visit. 

http://ducatimonsterworldwide.org/index.php?topic=4754.0

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
sennaster

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 07:52:45 AM »

NC is happenin'

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25064613/?pg=11#BESTUScities_science
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 08:18:05 AM »

CRAP! they are on to me.  Raleigh, Charlotte and Austin...

But Omaha?  Seriously?

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
jdubbs32584
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2008, 08:13:18 AM »

I'd be up for meeting up for a drink or something too depending on what you're looking for.  Would you be coming down on the bike?

Perhaps a trip to Mac's is in order.  Bubble?

Macs is a definite. I'll gladly play tour guide!
thejsnide

The Pastry Chef

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 08:01:46 PM »

Yuu, Charlotte and NC, for that matter, is a wonderful place... The climate is "usually" beautiful, you have the mountains, the beach all within an hour or so drive... I live in SC but all of my family is from NC, kind of spread out through Wilmington, Raleigh, Charlotte and Greensboro/Winston Salem.  I love to visit, although I don't do it enough.  Take some of these guys advice, visit, and I am sure you will not be disappointed.  Thought I would through my 2 cents worth in, since I am a Carolina native.  If you are up to a little more traveling, I live in Charleston, SC (which is an absolute blast) and would be glad to show you around down here.

Turn it off man, turn it off!  It's sucking my will to live!
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 05:42:04 AM »

I'll be hitting the streets of Charlotte on the 5th.  I posted a thread aobut it - but I'll be pitting at Macs for a 1pm lunch on the 5ht.

Been to Charleston once, briefly.  It was nice - but I'm looking more at NC since my parents are there and advancing in age.  So being within striking distance of them in part of my consideration.  Charleston's about as far as I am now.

- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: