Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 17, 2024, 11:41:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got a question for you guys  (Read 1647 times)
crat996

« on: December 26, 2010, 10:46:33 PM »

So I got a message from my dad today about possibly building an old classic motorcycle and I'm not sure what advice to give him. I am not very familiar with the oldies. I do like a lot of them but I don't really know much about them to give him any ideas.

Here's the message I got from him:

"Here's a question for your thought and consideration: If one were to choose a Euro-style tame, upright-riding stance, low power, commuter/trekker motorcycle, what would one look at? Comes to mind the old 2-cyl horizontal opposed BMW. Beginner now think beginner. Give that one some serious thought and let's chat about it."

I like the old Triumphs (Bonneville, Tiger) BSA's, Norton's and of course Ducati's (classic 750GT and some others).

I don't think he want to go high dollar restoration. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig  chug

'99 Ducati 996S #048-Gone but not forgotten
'07 Triumph Speed Triple
'05 GSXR 1000
nicrosato
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a

Red Dog with Yellow Dog

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 04:12:23 AM »

Single-cylinder BSA's come to mind. Another consideration is whether this will be a classic restoration, or does he want to combine the engine and frame with modern suspension and brakes.

Nobody said that I did. Everyone says that I would.
Cloner
Nah...I ain't no stinkin'

....because a mind is a terrible thing......

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 12:07:30 PM »

How far back does he want to go?

Inexpensive (comparatively) restorations can be done in Triumph twins, especially 650s and smaller, from the late '60s and early '70s.  For a BMW, I've always been partial to the /2 models.  They were made from the mid '50s through the late '60s and can look dead sexxxy.  Parts are available.  If he does a Beemer, let me know and I'll turn you on to an excellent parts/knowledge source.

Ducati twins from the early '70s (known as "Round Case" twins) are ridiculously expensive and parts can be unobtanium for a proper resto.  Even GTs (the ugly ducklings of the era) are $15k each for a well restored example, and prices for Sports are in the mid to upper $20k range.  SS's from that era are MUCH higher.   "Square Case" SS models from the '80s are also very expensive.

If he wants a Ducati from the '60s or '70s I'd suggest a 250, 350, or 450 spring head single.  Parts are generally easier to find (because production numbers were higher) and values for a properly restored bikes is still relatively high.  There are also several aftermarket parts sources for these that I can turn you onto if he goes this route.

For a Ducati twin, I'd get a late '70s to mid '80s Darmah SD ("Square Case" Bevel Drive...SD is for "Sport Desmo") or a Pantah (Belt Drive).  If he wants to ride the bike the Pantah is a better motorcycle, but I believe values for Darmahs will increase radically over the coming decade.  Darmahs were available in 900cc only.  Earlier 860 GTs can also be had, but they aren't nearly as reliable due to poor switchgear and electrics, and are kick start only, which turns some folks off.  Pantahs were made in 500 and 650 sizes with the 500 being the first Ducati "rubber band" motor offered to the public.  The 650s are reputed to be more reliable, but not many were brought into the States.  If he wants a 650 he might consider the Cagiva Allazzura, which is a reworked/rebadged Pantah offered after Cagiva bought Ducati in the mid '80s.

As a starter project, I'd really suggest the Triumph.  They're REALLY easy to find parts for and they're mechanically easy to work on.  However, don't forget that he'll have to buy some specialty tools to do the job right as those old British bikes still employed some Whitworth hardware, which is characterized by odd sized wrench flats and thread pitches.  Also, don't let him buy a Triumph triple from that era fergodssake.  They're a NIGHTMARE to work on mechanically.  Also, don't forget that Lucas electronics were employed on those bikes, so upgrades to electronic hardware are a must....especially switches....and voltage regulators....and ignition systems....and lights....and....ah, hell, replace the electrical system.

Never appeal to a man's "better nature."  He may not have one.  Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.  R.A. Heinlein

'64 Ducati Monza 250
'67 Aermacchi/HD Sprint SS (race bike)
'00 Aprilia RSV Mille
'03 Ducati 800 SS (race bike)
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'08 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (race bike)
KRJ

'07 MTS 1100S , '03 XR650L , '78 KZ 1000

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 01:43:08 PM »

^^ True call.. Lucas IS the inventor of darkness!!, there is a 750 Bonne' here in Canon for 3500.00, looked good, all there original. considered it Myself, alas.. too many projects. I'll find a Ph # if You like...

" I believe You understand what You think I said, but I'm not sure You realize that what You heard is not what I meant " !!
Duc L'Smart

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 05:23:37 PM »

JMHO, but I'd pass on the Brit bikes.... I had 2 Norton Commandos, & as cool as they were, they were also a PITA.

I just sold my '73 BMW R75, but if I was in the market for a reliable, cool, vintage cafe bike, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. Left side shift, electric start, shaft driven, & won't leave you stranded.

'Nuff said.

'07 1098s, '06 Paul Smart LE, '99 BMW K1200RS, '73 BMW R75/5, '67 Ducati Monza 250 Bevel Drive, '63 Vespa GS 160
Buckethead
I have a little tiny cape that fits on my

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 05:36:23 PM »

I apologize if I'm trampling fences by answering a thread in NMMR, but:

If you want a good tongue lashing regarding the pros and cons of restoring old Brit bikes, shoot a PM to RAT900. That's one of several crosses he bears.

Personally, if you're looking for old, simple, and tour-worthy, I'd look hard at a BMW air head. Parts and working knowledge abound, they can be had fairly cheap, and you can get as "deep" into the restoration or resto-mod as you like. I was daydreaming/window shopping earlier this year and found several threads on ADVRider about vintage BMW resto's that I'd not hesitate to sell family members for. Especially my brother. He's an asshole.

Of particular note to this topic, this time last year I picked up a copy of a book called "Big Sid's Vincati" about a guy working with his dad to put a Ducati bevel drive twin into a Vincent frame. Interesting read, and well worth the $.99 I paid for it on the remainder shelf.

I can't wait until Marquez gets on his level and makes Jorge trip on his tampon string. 
Zaster
Only Pam can touch my

2007 S4RS (sold) , 2008 1098S (sold), 2013 1199R,

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 08:19:18 PM »

I might be biased, but I prefer the German stuff  Wink Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: