Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 10:59:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USA Today article on bikes  (Read 6159 times)
erkishhorde

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2008, 02:05:48 PM »

Not true.

Care to elaborate? I've got 1 vote for the seam and 1 vote for the middle but I don't know which one you're voting for.

ErkZ NOT in SLO w/ his '95 m900!
The end is in sight! Gotta buckle down and get to work!
MendoDave
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2008, 02:13:01 PM »

I Middle might work, but you cant go wrong with the seam.
silentbob
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2008, 02:14:52 PM »

Care to elaborate? I've got 1 vote for the seam and 1 vote for the middle but I don't know which one you're voting for.

I'll have to search for the info but the center of the induction loop is actually more sensitive than the seam and it doesn't have to be metal to trigger it either.
powerhammer

Hi, how are you?

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2008, 02:50:14 PM »

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question234.htmhttp://

ODrides

2006 S2R 1000, 2003 998

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2008, 05:32:19 PM »

Kickstand, YES!  Such a better idea than that anvil I've been lugging around!
erkishhorde

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2008, 05:52:51 PM »

So the field is focused on the center so that says you should be putting your kickstand down in the center, right?

ErkZ NOT in SLO w/ his '95 m900!
The end is in sight! Gotta buckle down and get to work!
jclin

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2008, 07:22:37 PM »

Hrmm, that's interesting. The article doesn't mention Washington State, yet I do this all the time. ... I think this "loophole" is just common sense (I could have sworn that in Washington, if you allow a full cycle to go without getting a green, it's legal to proceed if yielding to all traffic).
aaronb

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2008, 07:51:50 PM »

hmmm, it's legal here... didn't know that.  if i see the seams in the pavement or have been waiting for a while and there is no one around i just go, safely of course.  have been doing it for years and have never had an issue. 

Milwaukee, WI
'07 s2r1k, '81 honda cb400t
silentbob
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2008, 07:57:34 PM »

I've used this form to get a few red light triggers adjusted for motorcycles.
http://www.dot.ca.gov/maintform.html

They are pretty responsive.  It takes about a week and they send someone out to adjust the sensitivity, paint a mark on the pavement indicating where the loop is, and send an email back to you telling you it is fixed.

Evil_Ductator

05 M1000S

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2008, 08:15:53 PM »

I've used this form to get a few red light triggers adjusted for motorcycles.
http://www.dot.ca.gov/maintform.html

They are pretty responsive.  It takes about a week and they send someone out to adjust the sensitivity, paint a mark on the pavement indicating where the loop is, and send an email back to you telling you it is fixed.

Now that is a valuable post, thank you!   drink  I'll definitely use that, there's a few by my place at major intersections that I always get stuck at (going off and on Laguna Canyon Road Hwy 133).

Which Maintenance Request Type did you use?  My first inclination would be "TRAFFIC SIGNAL-Not Working"...
silentbob
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2008, 09:53:29 PM »

Now that is a valuable post, thank you!   drink  I'll definitely use that, there's a few by my place at major intersections that I always get stuck at (going off and on Laguna Canyon Road Hwy 133).

Which Maintenance Request Type did you use?  My first inclination would be "TRAFFIC SIGNAL-Not Working"...

That's what I use.
DoubleEagle

" If you are unafraid you will be safe "

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2008, 10:06:36 PM »

In Ohio unless it says you can't ....you can turn right on red after you stop first. One day I was at an Intersection of a 4 lane and I wanted to turn left. The light did not cycle for what seemed 5 minutes so I turned right and immediately went left. Probably would have got a ticket but I didn't run a red light.

'08 Ducati 1098 R    '09 BMW K 1300 GT   '10 BMW S 1000 RR

Shortest sentence...." I am "   Longest sentence ... " I Do "
CairnsDuc
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2008, 01:51:57 AM »

Where I go to get fuel is perfect for me on the way to/from work, The only problem is when I fuel up on the way to work I have to go through the traffic lights and they will not pick up a motorbike, There are no Pedestrian crossings because it is on a highway out of town, I've tried to pull up on or over the loop in the road, put my side stand down on it, I have contacted the Main roads office and asked for it to be checked and then received an Email back advising "because of the mainly Heavy Haulage traffic at that intersection we can not make the Pickups any more sensitive as this causes a lot of false signals and holds up traffic when there are no vehicles waiting to turn at the Intersection"

To which I asked what would happen if I got fined for running the red light because the Loop would not detect me on the bike.

As usual from a Government Dept, After 6 months and repeated requests, I have yet to receive an official response.

I'll just keep running the light and If I get fined I'll present the Emails as evidence.  bang head
55Spy

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2008, 01:55:33 AM »

With the increase in advances in proximity sensors, motion sensors, etc, thats where the movement needs to go.

Take motorcycles out of the equation for a moment and look forward toward composite cars and modes of transportation.  The old method has got to go.

BOT I agree that with the current technology implemented at light controlled intersections there should be a stipulation in the law allowing any vehicle at a stoplight for "X" amount of time, no cross traffic and no change in the ligth that they should be alloted the ability to proceed as if the intersection was posted with a stop sign with a full stop required and proceed with caution.

I leave it to the cops to determine what "X" time should be safe and tolerable for enforcement.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: