Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 03:58:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What an unhappy surprise.  (Read 1635 times)
Grappa

« on: June 11, 2008, 09:27:34 AM »

Came home last night after a long day of work, and as I got out of my car I noticed a strong smell of gasoline.  When I turned on the light, I saw a huge puddle under my Monster.  Cry    So I grabbed a flashlight and looked around.  Turns out my fuel line decided to spontaneously tear right behind the clamp that attaches it to the tank.   Cry   I thought it was strange, since I haven't ridden the bike if four days, haven't even moved it.   The tear is really close to the clamp, so I realized this morning that I might be able to cut an inch off the line and attach it back, while I wait for a new line.  The hose looks to be in perfect condition otherwise.  I wonder if last time I serviced my bike and took off the tank, perhaps I put the clamp back on the fuel line a bit too tight.  Huh?   What I am really curious about is my crankcase.  A lot of gas dripped slowly onto the motor and made it's way down the right side of the bike.  The little bit of gasket sealer or whatever it is that slightly sticks out all along the seal where the right-side crankcase cover attaches to the motor has just pealed away completely.  Would the gas have eaten away at that seal, meaning that I can expect an oil leak soon and will have to replace/reseal that side of the motor?  bang head   This all sucks really bad, but when I think about it, I am really lucky this did not happen while I was riding.  Lucky my house and motorcycle did not burn down while I was at work.  Now I have to go back to work, will have to wait till tommorow to deal with this.

Oh, I have a 2001 M900 i.e. with a metal tank.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 09:29:27 AM by Grappa » Logged

Ahh... but the servant waits, while the master baits.

Sometimes Aloha means Goodbye.
silentbob
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 09:57:46 AM »

Came home last night after a long day of work, and as I got out of my car I noticed a strong smell of gasoline.  When I turned on the light, I saw a huge puddle under my Monster.  Cry    So I grabbed a flashlight and looked around.  Turns out my fuel line decided to spontaneously tear right behind the clamp that attaches it to the tank.   Cry   I thought it was strange, since I haven't ridden the bike if four days, haven't even moved it.   The tear is really close to the clamp, so I realized this morning that I might be able to cut an inch off the line and attach it back, while I wait for a new line.  The hose looks to be in perfect condition otherwise.  I wonder if last time I serviced my bike and took off the tank, perhaps I put the clamp back on the fuel line a bit too tight.  Huh?   What I am really curious about is my crankcase.  A lot of gas dripped slowly onto the motor and made it's way down the right side of the bike.  The little bit of gasket sealer or whatever it is that slightly sticks out all along the seal where the right-side crankcase cover attaches to the motor has just pealed away completely.  Would the gas have eaten away at that seal, meaning that I can expect an oil leak soon and will have to replace/reseal that side of the motor?  bang head   This all sucks really bad, but when I think about it, I am really lucky this did not happen while I was riding.  Lucky my house and motorcycle did not burn down while I was at work.  Now I have to go back to work, will have to wait till tommorow to deal with this.

Oh, I have a 2001 M900 i.e. with a metal tank.

Make sure you have fuel injection hose clamps and not the ones with the exposed teeth.
univox

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 10:05:29 AM »

Wouldn't worry about the gasket, you probably never noticed it until now. I remember pulling a big long strip off the rear of the engine case on my 695. It was just hanging there.
CairnsDuc
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 01:01:50 PM »

Also be thankfull that a spark didn't set it off!
Pancake81

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 05:22:49 PM »

That sucks man. I recently came home to a pile of gas under my baby too... although my tank was leaking. A bit more unfortunate I suppose. But either way it sucks.

About the same time you're dragging your knees through a series of tight left-right-handers on Sunday afternoon, some guy in white shoes is sweating a 3-foot putt. Go figure.
Big Troubled Bear
The wrong side of normal

98 m900 sold, Red 696

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 04:39:03 AM »

Don`t worry about the gasket, mine did the same about a year ago, no leaks up to now waytogo

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: