Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 03:26:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MUST READ: Secret Ducati Service Bulletin  (Read 3705 times)
2-Wheelin Hooligan

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 05:23:13 PM »

And the mechanic that works on my bike told me I didn't need one, we'll see if I go there again.
NeufUnSix

Masochistic Italophile

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 06:59:31 PM »

Brilliant, well done to who ever came up with that!  waytogo

Thanks, I came up with it when I was teasing someone about flux capacitors and another guy asked if he got the recall notice...

"Why did my tractor just blow up?"
NeufUnSix

Masochistic Italophile

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 07:43:26 PM »

Appendix B: Location on Various Models

Flux capacitor location varies according to model and year of production, as well as the amount of grappa ingested by assembly line workers at the point of production. Post-1985 models will have the flux capacitor identified according to the symbol and colour code outlined in Appendix A, but on pre-1985 models the flux capacitor unit must be located by the technician. Here is a list of common locations for the flux capacitor unit on popular pre-1985 Ducati models.

Single Cylinder Models:
Narrow case (125, 160, 200 overhead cam models): Usually the flux capacitor can be found in the headlamp circuit. Identification is difficult due to the lack of colour coding in any of the wiring harnesses on these early models. Simply look for signs of overheating or scorching in the wiring harness and the flux capacitor should be located nearby.

Wide case (250, 350, 450, excluding desmo models): The flux capacitor will be installed inside the rear tyre tube of these models. As a result the service of these flux capacitor units should include the replacement of the air in the tyres; explain to the customer that fresh air is needed in the tyres to maintain optimal roadholding.

Single cylinder desmo models: The flux capacitor is located in the bevel shaft of the overhead cam drive. These models used an experimental design of flux capacitor that utilized the rotation of the bevel shaft for the generation of ionic fields. As a result undetectable oscillations through the valvetrain creates a tendency for the valves to easily work out of clearance, usually creating clearances that cannot be corrected by the shims on hand, forcing a trip to the dealership and a subsequent wait while the correct shims are shipped on the slow boat from Bologna.

L-Twin Models:

Bevel drive overhead cam L-Twins (750S, 750SS, 900SS, Darmah, Mille, Mike Hailwood Replica): On models with fiberglass fuel reservoirs, the flux capacitor will be located inside the fuel cell. Generally locating any leaks or seepage of fuel through the joints of the tank can identify its location. On models with metal fuel tanks the flux capacitor is integrated into the kickstart gear, and has a tendency to cause violent kickback when persons unfamiliar with kickstarting Ducatis attempt to start the bike. On models with “electric start” the flux capacitor is in fact what masquerades for the electric starting motor. It serves no function in starting the bike.

Air cooled belt-driven overhead cam L-twins (350, 500, 650 Pantah and all variants before 1985): On early belt driven air cooled models, the flux capacitor is located in the primary gear of the camshaft belt drive pulley. Like early desmo single cylinder models, the oscillations created by the rotation of the flux capacitor have a tendency to unbalance the harmonic resonance of the cam belt system, usually leading to catastrophic cam belt failures shortly after the bike is sold to a new owner.

Please note that Indiana 350 and 650 models do not have flux capacitor units; as such they should not be considered true Ducati motorcycles. Any attempts to publicize or draw attention to Indianas should be terminated with extreme prejudice using the procedures outlined in Service Bulletin 101.559R – Selective Company Memory and Enforcement of the Ducati Code of Silence.

jerryz

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 05:15:23 AM »

When my Ducati goes above warp 9.9 the airconditioning stops working and I find myself back in 1969, is ther a therapist for this problem?
NeufUnSix

Masochistic Italophile

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 05:53:24 AM »

Time paradoxes are not covered by Ducati warranty.

Big Troubled Bear
The wrong side of normal

98 m900 sold, Red 696

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 06:24:56 AM »

laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp laughingdp

waytogo

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: