Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 29, 2024, 04:37:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lowside (mulholland strikes again!)  (Read 50121 times)
Triple J
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 02:39:26 PM »

Looks to me like he was going wide, fixated on the rail, then tried to turn the bike to the left rather than countersteering harder. Handlebars look like he turned them left to me. He also hit the rear brake prior to the rear letting go. Combination of those two mistakes.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 02:41:10 PM by Triple J » Logged
Spidey
Crashin' mofo

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 04:14:59 PM »

What idiot put a guard rail right in the middle of the runoff?  Airfence would be much better.

If you watch the vid in slow mo and high def, you can see that the rear wheel stops moving.  It's cuz that idiot was using his rear brake in the middle of the turn while leaned over.

Occasionally AFM #702  My stuff:  The M1000SS, a mashed r6, Vino 125, the Blonde, some rugrats, yuppie cage, child molester van, bourbon.
sleeperbold

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 03:22:31 PM »

It looks to me like it changes from positive camber to neutral or even a little negative through the turn. It feels like you have a lot of grip and lean angle to spare and all of a sudden bike is feeling funny and the SR's begin to take hold. Easing off gas, stiff arms, target fixation, then brakes. BOOM!  coffee
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 11:17:11 AM »

I've been through that corner a hundred times.
It's really not difficult.

The major problem that people have is doing dumb shit because there's a photographer there.

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
OT
Still Sweeping.....

'04 M1000 Janis - smartly dressed in red

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 06:32:37 PM »

Looks to me like he was going wide, fixated on the rail, then tried to turn the bike to the left rather than countersteering harder. Handlebars look like he turned them left to me. He also hit the rear brake prior to the rear letting go. Combination of those two mistakes.

Agree - did look like he fixed on the rail during the turn and then caught himself missing (in his estimation) the entry to the turn.

I made the same mistake in an MSF class (go figure) while doing the 'stopping in a turn' drill.  I had fixated (is that a real word?) on a point in front of me instead of looking around the turn and, when I started to stand the bike up and apply the brakes........ cheeky the instructor pointed it out to me afterwards, and I haven't had that problem again  Grin
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 06:36:41 PM by OT » Logged
duc996

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 03:03:27 AM »

Maybe they're concentrating more on posing for the camera shot than getting the corner correctly.

"All we ask is to be let alone"
       "Monster S4r"
       "KTM SMC 690"
The Bacon Junkie
I have a Bacon Wrapped

Save the brass...

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 12:27:14 AM »

You know what I think you are absolutely right.  When looking at the video more it looks like the turn might be a double apex and people don't account for it.  It looked like he needed more lean to get through the second half of the turn if i'm not mistaken.  And well there wasn't much lean angle left.....

It's a constant radius throughout the turn

It looks to me like it changes from positive camber to neutral or even a little negative through the turn.

The turn has a slight negative camber at the very end/exit of the turn.  Where he went down is still (very) positively cambered.

I've been through that corner a hundred times.
It's really not difficult.

The major problem that people have is doing dumb shit because there's a photographer there.

Me too...
But I just wear dumb shit...  laughingdp

On any given weekend day, anywhere between 600-1,000 riders head through that section of road...  It's close to one of the densest population areas.  If you check out the website on the first photo, you'll get an idea of just how much traffic goes through that corner. 

With the Rock Store at the bottom of the hill, and the large turnout (Squid Point) just past this turn, riders will do several "laps" in quick succession.

bacon

I only see jesus having a sauna with a teletubbie.
I find it disturbing that you're imagining me in a sauna, never mind the teletubbie aspect of it

Save the Brass...
Raux
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 02:06:57 AM »

two things I noticed

he was trying to adjust his speed late with the rear brake, sort of a bad attempt at trail braking

second is that f*cking rail.. no lower support padding or even a second low rail. If there are that many bikes on that road, it should have some kind of safety features for them.
sbrguy

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 08:34:22 PM »

they are never going to put more safety at the rail, afterall anyone with the knee down like that is probably going faster than the speed limit on the road which is something like 15-20mph, and being that the locals there hate people going up and down the road there is no way they are going to put safety stuff there for riders.

the speed limit is really low on the road, and actualy its hard to go the speed limit, that is why there are so many tickets there on a given sunday or sat.

also that is the last major turn on the road its a longer hairpin turn and who knows what got him falling probably like others said using the rear brake mid turn at full lean is my guess, but who knows.
The Bacon Junkie
I have a Bacon Wrapped

Save the brass...

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 09:08:32 PM »

The speed limit on that section of Mulholland is 35mph. The pictures of me in the goofy get-up I'm doing between 30 and 35.  *Maybe* 40... I know, because I've looked down at my speedo (I know, the worst thing to do) while exiting the turn...
5mph over is nothing. 
Simple operator error and lack of skill and an overabundance of ego are what leads to 90% of the crashes there...

I almost got caught out by that turn once...  It was late in the day, and I was day dreaming.

On my old '99 M750 I would come out of the previous right corner at the bottom of second and roll off at the top of second, using the copious engine braking to slow me for the corner.  On this particular day, like I said, I was daydreaming.  Instead of rolling off the throttle, my foot (sans brain) decided to kick me up into 3rd.  As soon as it did, I realized I had no time or way to slow down.  I just slid my ass to the left and leaned harder then usually.  Luckily I had the presence of mind NOT to grab any brake.  I just kept steady throttle, not accelerating or slowing, and looked through the turn.  I made it. I was lucky enough to have a bike that was much better than I was at the time.  I had been riding about 3 years at that point.   

I only see jesus having a sauna with a teletubbie.
I find it disturbing that you're imagining me in a sauna, never mind the teletubbie aspect of it

Save the Brass...
Monster Dave

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 01:51:51 PM »

Anyone notice that the rear tire skuffed the road several times....I wonder if he hit the brakes which in turn caused him to loose control in the first place.
TAftonomos
is without a monster :(

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2011, 04:26:48 PM »

Not following the first part, but I'm trying.

If he turns the bars to the left, the bike ought to stand back up right?  I see him do this, and then when the back begins to come around he tries to dirt track it around the corner....only the brake light is on...

I agree it looks as though he's looking at the rail for a second.

Huh?? trying to learn.  I just came back from the duc.ms east coast meet at fontana.  Had tons of fun, and learned some things....but the bike is now "telling" me things and I'm not sure how to react to it.
Trying to learn here,

Triple J
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 12:46:07 PM »

If he turns the bars to the left, the bike ought to stand back up right?  

If done correctly and the rider is expecting it. Done too quickly (panic instinct motion) AND without the rider adjusting weight accordingly and it could cause the front to wash out. Watch his hands right before the rear breaks loose...right elbow lifts, bars turn to left slightly, then rear brakes loose. Hard to say exactly what happened from the angle....crash could have been just from the rear braking as well. But looks to me like he steers left, causing the front to wash, then the rear comes around (almost simultaneous with front washing).

I think this is the 2nd time we've see that on this corner.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:52:02 PM by Triple J » Logged
Hellraising-vtec

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 10:45:46 AM »

damn. that hurts
Shieldze1025

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 12:39:35 PM »

Lots of good learning points here, thanks guys.

I agree with all of them, mainly it looks like he had a bad approach angle, bad body position and bad breaking too far into the turn.  I'm new to riding but I can tell he just looks way too stiff on the bike and has bad position in the turn, then tried to correct it by breaking.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: