Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 07, 2024, 05:26:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HID Morimoto H1 Projector Install (Video)  (Read 42167 times)
He Man
Post Whore

« on: April 01, 2011, 03:58:47 PM »

Finished. I destroyed about 4 lexan lenses in the process. First one was too thick and it boiled before it bent. 2nd one i cut too small, the 3rd i completely forgot about it and i put bubbles in it, otherwise it looks AWESOME, but is useless if you wanted a clear lens. the 3rd one was good, but it didnt have enough of a curve in it. I MIGHT go back and do it again, but i am too lazy because i know the lexan will eventually get completely scratched up, so when it does i will make it. I tried several procedures to get the best curve and i settled with cutting an oversize lens and laying it ontop of the metal chrome ring and throwing the whole gig in the oven and just cutting the lens out later.

I did have a little accident, the glue i was using to hold the lens in place kinda exploded onto my ONLy good lens. bang head but with a rag and some acetone i got most of it off. I will end up making another lens, its actually really easy. the size is .0903" Lexan, and your not going to break it. I litterly stood all 150lbs on one of my bad lens jumping up an down. this stuff is durable. and it flexes very well

Projector was a Morimoto H1 purchased from the Retrofit source. TRS. Also used their TRS in house brand bulbs. I have a complete set if you are interested. Anyway, here is the video.

The first few clicks you hear are the flash to pass. The 2nd is the high beam, and then the final is me holding the flash, and flicking the high beam button, just to show that there is no kaboom or any of that sort. The wiring harness was probably the most annoying thing to figure out. I bought a ballast on ducati.ms, but it ended up being bad so I am working on getting a new one. the ballast that i am currently using is the size of a miniature house and it is awfully hard to hide, however it works great. Enjoy

HID projector

Tutorial:
kuixihe.com/HID
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:46:06 PM by He Man » Logged

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
rosstermyer

M1100S

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 04:10:01 PM »

very nice job on the retro. bacon  not many attempt this on bikes from what i can tell due to the size limitations, myself being one of them.  kudos to you!
scduc

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 04:38:02 PM »

I've started reading some of the many treads here on HID only to come to the conclusion that I really don't have a clue. Clearly the HID look is awesome, the benefits of a brighter road interest me greatly due to the fact that I ride down very dark roads. I don't think that just changing the bulb is going to give me what I'm looking for. I also don't want to be a distraction to oncoming drivers. Some cheapo kits run $50 on sleezbay. Not sure about any of it. I want to retain my stock housing and get better lighting. Is there a plug and play setup that isn't going to cost me $250.

08' S2R 1K   That was close  damn near lost a $400 hand cart.
live2ride

monster 750 dark

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 06:59:05 PM »

I've started reading some of the many treads here on HID only to come to the conclusion that I really don't have a clue. Clearly the HID look is awesome, the benefits of a brighter road interest me greatly due to the fact that I ride down very dark roads. I don't think that just changing the bulb is going to give me what I'm looking for. I also don't want to be a distraction to oncoming drivers. Some cheapo kits run $50 on sleezbay. Not sure about any of it. I want to retain my stock housing and get better lighting. Is there a plug and play setup that isn't going to cost me $250.

possibly but probably not.  The HID kits on ebay are just the ballast and bulb.  Sticking this in your headlight will work meaning you will have light but it won't be focused correctly.  The light will go every which way because the housing you put it in was meant for a halogen bulb.  It also has a fresnel lens that focuses the halogen accordingly. 

What HeMan did is what everyone SHOULD do.  That is to put the HID kit into a projector meant for a HID.  This is why his headlight cut off is so clean.  It was designed to work together.  What he did with the lexan was to replace the fresnel lens and use a clear lens that doesnt not focus the light as the projector is already doing this. 

The cheapest way is to find a used car HID headlight and salvage the projector and retrofit this into your headlight.  It may be more work but you should be able to obtain a proper set of HID's for less than $250 if you work for it.

Hopefully this helps.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 07:02:33 PM »

here is the break down i spent

$175 for 2 projectors + 2 bulbs
$20 for a ballast
$20 in lexan, but you could do it for $4 if you knew what you were doing. So lets just say $10 for 2 lenses
connectors $10

total cost $215 that is DOUBLE kit. so you actually only spend $100 bucks doing this if you were to mod it yourself.

as far as I know there are only 3 people who have done this mod to the Ducati monster. Theo, Me and some other dude on ducatimonster.org. it is not as intimidating as you think. i couldnt find anyone that could sell me the harness that i wanted so i made my own. I had a spare $5 harness of ebay, chopped of the connectors, and installed a relay + a diode and was done.

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Jarvicious
The guy in my avatar wants your

Balls

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 07:48:56 AM »

So did you vacu-form the lexan or did you just stick it in the oven over your mold and let it droop?

We're liberated by the hearts that imprison us.  We're taken hostage by the ones that we break.
TAftonomos
is without a monster :(

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 01:47:51 PM »

applause applause  Nice job!

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 02:20:46 PM »

So did you vacu-form the lexan or did you just stick it in the oven over your mold and let it droop?

I tried several procedures to get the best curve and i settled with cutting an oversize lens and laying it ontop of the metal chrome ring and throwing the whole gig in the oven and just cutting the lens out later.

The only trick is knowing when to stop because if you go past a certain temp, for my piece it was around 305 degrees it becomes jello. but at 290-300 it sags to a nice dome within 2 minutes. I threw a baking thermometer in there that goes up to 550 to check cause you cant rely on the ovens thermostat.

He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 05:22:05 PM »

here is the lens with a nice concave shape to it macro fail!

but here are the bubbles caused by too high of a temp

without shroud

here it is with a chrome shroud. dig the bling?  it looks corny to me, but it helps with the glare from the housing. you pretty much need it. it does match the chrome ring.

cokey
hey take a look @ my

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 05:30:49 PM »

These are the lights and really close to the look I want..  cellis bike

I WIN
Quote from: my wife
Ok babe I surrender to u.  U may work me out till I drop

About the goat...
 His name was Bob, but the family called him BeelzeBob. 
make the beast with two backs goats.
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 05:36:59 PM »

didnt he get those from some place in germany? those arent 999 headlights are they

2-Skinny
Head Mechanic, Technical and Research Consultant

Measure Twice, Cut Thrice...at least...

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 08:52:02 PM »

I believe they are actually headlights from a Ferrari or something according to him...

I don't own a Ducati...but I wrench on one.
Jarvicious
The guy in my avatar wants your

Balls

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 08:25:43 AM »

The new lights he has on there are off of a Lamborghini.  Those lights and the brackets can be found on some Danish site that sells a lot of street fighter stuff.

Just looked for it, I guess it's saved on my other computer. 

We're liberated by the hearts that imprison us.  We're taken hostage by the ones that we break.
ab
ab

ab

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 05:24:24 PM »

He-Man - so my buddy is almost done installing the kit I bought from you.  Here are pics so far.

https://plus.google.com/photos/106642991442257770068/albums/5659428590988705777

It sticks out a bit on the back.  Did you have any issues during rain ?  Looks like the flat lexan won't fit, so he is going to try the rounded one.  The existing ballast I had crapped out, so had to buy another one.

IMAG0303 by ab_duc620M2004, on Flickr

IMAG0299 by ab_duc620M2004, on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 05:31:24 PM by ab » Logged

620M 2004 Dark i.e.; ~ 57K miles (all me);  Looking to swap out engine now.
Triumph Speed Triple 2006 (now ~ 44K miles bought @ 4K miles on 04/2010)
Honda Grom 2015 ~ 3500miles so far.  Love this lil bike
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 05:51:28 PM »

looking good so far. How did the lexan not fit? if its too big you can always trim the edges. It fit my ring (which is a 06 bike so maybe the ring size changed up a bit? It almost might need some finnesing to get in, i kept it tight as i could. I used acrylic caulk to seal mine ( dont use silicone since its VERY messy, acryllic will do just fine)

and yea it sticks out a bit in the back, but every component is waterproof (bulb included) so ive had no problems and ive ridden over 1,000 straight miles in rain (2 days from new york to Florida during a hurricane, no issues)

but it looks good, ive got many many miles on mine without any issues so its been running top notch! hes going ot love it compared to a regular halogen!

Now theres only 3 people with retrofits in a stock bucket.  Tongue

ya'll should learn from this!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: