Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

March 28, 2024, 10:15:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thread seal for gasoline?  (Read 2040 times)
Langanobob

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 05:52:06 AM »

I have never seen that confirmed.  Gasoline is a liquid solvent and NG is neither.  I would want to see that in writing.

The yellow Teflon tape  will seal gasoline.   But tape is subject to installer error and if you get it over the edge of the threaded fitting  strands of it can end up in your jets or oil system depending on where you are using it.  Same with RTV, it can get everywhere in your engine when the excess gets squeezed out when assembling parts. 

I like the old fashioned liquid Permatex too. It's strong enough that if you do get some excess in there it tends to stick and stay and not break off and circulate.   That stuff has been around for 500 years and it's still better than most of the new sealants.

ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 08:31:24 AM »

I like the old fashioned liquid Permatex too. It's strong enough that if you do get some excess in there it tends to stick and stay and not break off and circulate.   That stuff has been around for 2500 years and it's still better than most of the new sealants.

fixed

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
64duc

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 09:06:37 AM »

Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket Sealant Liquid

I'm not familiar with the liquid, but under no circumstance use the stuff in a tube. It is impervious to gas, but it sets up like concrete. Red gasket sealer will be eaten up by gas or oil. The red denotes high temp applications. 600 degrees.

94 M900, 64 Diana 250
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: