Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 02:17:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warranty??  (Read 1889 times)
chisel

« on: June 13, 2008, 01:41:56 PM »

Hi everyone,
This is my first time posting on DMF. Before I begin, I'd like to say thanks for all the information I've gathered from this site so far.

I recently purchased a 696 and am very happy with the bike. However, I became curious about something when I read this on Ducati's website:

In order to ensure warranty validity, Customer should also make the three obligatory maintenance checks at 1000 km (or six months), 10000 km (or 12 months) and 20000 km (or 24 months), at any official Dealer. Warranty will be not honoured for motorcycles repaired by unofficial Dealer networks, for improper use, for bikes with non-genuine parts, for damages incurred from accidents, overloads, negligent use, or improper maintenance. Further details are detailed in the Warranty/pre-delivery booklet, attached to every new motorcycle.

I prefer to do my own maintenance and have for some time. Before I purchased the bike, I specifically asked my salesman (the sales manager, in fact) if  doing my own maintenance would void the warranty on my 696. He specifically stated that they only needed confirmation of a dealer performed 600 mile break in service.

Does anyone have any further information on this? Thanks very much.
printman

Check out my a.....

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 02:33:29 PM »

For US residents only: 

Look into the moss-magnussen act. I believe it states that modifications, and scheduled repairs do not have to be done by the dealer. With that said, you have to prove that it was done, and done correctly.

My example: You get to your first oil change in your car, and go to local oil shack. They change oil for you, everyones happy....dealer didn't touch scheduled service. Later on you have a problem not oil related  warranty covers it. If it shown to be because said oil shack did poor work, or did not use proper oil then they maybe able to turn down service.

I'll update this later at a convenient time Thank you for tuning in.....
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 02:38:48 PM »

HUGE can of worms.

my .02:   being right doesn't mean not having to spend a ton of your time fixing the injustice and the frustration that goes with it, so everyone who is about to point at the law is absolutely correct that the warranty can't be voided in this example, but that doesn't mean it's easy.

Depends on your frustration level dealing with red tape.

Easiest thing here is to have the dealer write you a letter saying exactly what the sales guy said.   They're the ones who will be doing the warranty work anyway.

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
NAKID

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 05:56:43 PM »

Right, plus, for the manufacturer to deny a warranty claim, per the MM act, they have to show that it was reasonable that negligence or your part caused the failure.

2005 S2R800
2006 S2R1000
2015 Monster 821
chisel

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 07:29:43 PM »

Great replies. I didn't know much about this moss-magnussen act. Good information, thanks.

I think it might be a little easier said than done to get the dealer to write me any sort of letter confirming their error, if it turns out to be an error, in information. However, I'll do what I can.

Thanks again for the info.
clubhousemotorsports

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 07:47:44 PM »

Your dealer is also the first line of defence with dealing with ducati warranty. Most dealers have no idea about the moss-magnussen act and really are going to try and push you into dealing only with them. I have seen claims taken care of after another dealer said no way, I have also seen claims get refused for a technicality because the dealer wanted to punish a customer for straying from the fold.

If you have a good shop you should let them know you do your own work but throw them a bone every so often to keep them on your side. treat them like a favorite pet... oh one that like beer.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 08:28:37 PM »

Statler's comment is spot on.  Do you really want to be in the position of hiring lawyers and expert witnesses to fight a warranty claim?  I know of one case where a manufacturer refused an engine damage based on the use of a sub standard oil filter.  The manufacturer won.  The owner was out the cost of an engine, loss of vehicle use and legal fees.  But, hey, he probably saved $2 on the oil filter waytogo

I spent a lot of time working in new car dealers.  Manufacturers have a tendency to give more consideration to "customer good faith" issues and grey warranty issues to dealer maintained vehicles, particularly if the dealer is on the "good guy" list.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: