Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 01:25:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: do you have resistance to riding in your family????  (Read 4094 times)
DucDodgers

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 03:56:54 PM »

I must agree, great thread.
I am 33 yrs old, have my own place, married, have a child, run my own business and I still have to hide the fact that I ride from
 my parents.
My wife is not crazy about and she will absolutly not ride with me but she supports me, she knows how much I love it. She always reminds me to be careful and never let's me skimp on good gear. Her cousin was recently in a bad moto accident and she still doesn't give me a hard time about it. In return I take it very seriously and always ride my own ride even when riding with others. When commuting I'm always 1000% aware cause commuting in NYC on a bike is a battle zone.
DoubleEagle

" If you are unafraid you will be safe "

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 06:02:16 PM »

My 3 year younger brother and I live on the same property. He is my only living famly member and told me after my crash that if I did't give up riding he was leaving. I don't want to stop riding but if he leaves it will be like an ugly divorce. It would take along time to mend that fence .

'08 Ducati 1098 R    '09 BMW K 1300 GT   '10 BMW S 1000 RR

Shortest sentence...." I am "   Longest sentence ... " I Do "
StrikeJollyRoger

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 06:27:48 PM »

I started wanting to ride as a poor college student.  Of course, funds were never available so I just talked about getting a Monster all the time to the dismay of my parents who I think didn't really believe that I would follow through.  When I started looking at bikes during the beginning of this year, my parents recruited my uncles and aunts to join the propaganda parade.  Even my younger brother told me it was a stupid idea.  Even my cousins.  My parents I can understand, my aunts and uncles...ok.  My younger brother and my cousins?

One of my uncles rode and my father rode as well.  My father is also a firefighter.  Since January I've heard about every motorcycle accident to which my dad has responded.  He and my uncle that rode have both told me about every moto-crash they have ever heard about and what happened to the rider.  My dad had told me about riders that stopped riding because, "it was just too crazy to ride these days with so many drivers on the road and they way they drive these days."

The propaganda machine is still oiled, greased and producing.  BUT my aunt got a kick out of watching me ride down her driveway, my mother took a bunch of pics when I brought the bike by their house and my father told me that he's happy I got it.

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 07:45:10 PM »

When word got out I had a bike....

I was formally disinherited.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2008, 07:58:23 PM »

I told my parents (by phone) after I started riding.  I figured that it was better that I tell them than the possibility that they learn about it because of me crashing.  There was definitely concern, but they accepted it.

The next time it came up was about a year later.  They had actually forgotten that I had told them I was riding, and we basically repeated the entire conversation. Roll Eyes

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
DoubleEagle

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2008, 08:08:04 PM »

When word got out I had a bike....

I was formally disinherited.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Does that mean they don't have you over for Christmas ......or they dropped you out of the will ?

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 08:26:26 PM »

Does that mean they don't have you over for Christmas ......or they dropped you out of the will ?

Disowned is when you're no longer allowed over for Christmas.

Disinherited
is when you no longer receive your inheritance.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
psycledelic

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 08:45:24 PM »

It took me 6 years to talk my wife into letting me get a bike.  She was so against it in the beginning that I didn't figure it would ever be a reality.  The strange part was that toward the end (technically the beginning of my motorcycle days), our rolls had seemed to reverse.  I saw how much the thought of me having one bothered her, that I had decided I wouldn't pursue the issue anymore.  She saw how much I really wanted one, and made peace with the idea.  Our final conversation on the topic was accidentally initiated by one of her friends and carried over for the next couple of days.  It ended with my new S2R.  That was 10 months and 11000 miles ago.  I don't even drive my truck anymore.  We are both happy as can be.  I have the bike that I wanted, and she has $300 a month extra in gas money that I don't spend.  I am just obligated not to ride to crazy and do everything I can to come home to her and my little girls. 

06 S2R800 - the wife                         Dolph
04 999s - the mistress
EjGlows

'05 s2r 800

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 09:27:52 PM »

My family has a history... and when I decided I wanted to ride they had no rebuttal.

My grandparents were bikers on Indians, my parents on hogs, my siblings on Japanese bikes, and me on my duc.  I have never been more proud than when my grandfather looked me in the eye and told me to enjoy the ride and how he was proud I was living life with all the zest and zeal I should be.  He then told me about riding back in the day with the leather belts to protect them from the jar of the suspension-less Indians.  How my grandmother learned not to eat ice cream while on the back and how she was almost set ablaze (along with the bike) by bad wiring.  My parents, on the other hand, tell stories of how their friends made bad decisions and didn't live to have children.  My siblings and I ride together when we can (we live across the country from one another) and only my brother has had an accident requiring an additional pin/plate combo to his frame.  Not once did I hear anyone of them tell me they would change a thing. 

It's in my blood.  My parents only wish that I'd get something a bit more suitable to my size (they want me to be on a big-wheel).  On the other hand, they are rather pleased that I wear more protection than anyone in my family ever has.

e
(one, two, or three.... drink)

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 09:38:16 PM by EjGlows » Logged
ROBsS4R

No matter where you go, there you are

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2008, 01:30:27 AM »

Everytime I see my grandmother she says.... Your going to hurt yourself... Makes a huge gasp and then she soon forgets about it the rest of the day  Grin

SOLD 03 - Ducati Monster Dark M620

05 - Ducati Monster Blue/white S4R

My Photo Site http://secondnature.smugmug.com/

jerryz

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2008, 03:15:17 AM »

my mum wa against it but,   my Grandad funded my 1st bike when I was 14 ,my dad was Ok as he rode bikes in the army , now my wife rides her own bike so I have no hassle.
HeyThatsMyBike

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2008, 02:58:54 PM »

Well...I just told my mom (who still lives in India by-the-way, where red lights are mere suggestions!) that I'm getting a bike. "Nothing doing!!!" is what her response was! But I told her about the MSF course I took and the safety gear I would buy.  She said she would pray for me!!! So I think it went over well!!
  Here's a little video to show it makes it easier when you're in a relationship where both have the same inetersts!!!
</param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qtmdGMPgU7I&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 03:00:42 PM by FlyADuc » Logged

Flying low Wink
'08 695 Dark
DoubleEagle

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2008, 06:37:07 PM »

Disowned is when you're no longer allowed over for Christmas.

Disinherited
is when you no longer receive your inheritance.

At your age you have plenty of time to make lots of money if you start investing now , 401k to the max, diversify your investments .

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: