Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 09:22:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think it's time  (Read 3290 times)
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« on: May 09, 2011, 11:44:15 AM »

I seem doomed to lower back problems, and the monster is just not good for that.

Well, MY monster, thanks to MY mods is not good for that.  But that's how I like it.  So I will be doing some prep work and putting it on the block, umm, soonish.  Which means I should get serious(er) about a back friendly but not boring replacement. 

Not sure how much I can justify spending.  Certainly what I get for the monster, and I'm not sure what that will be, plus, a few thou?  Maybe $4-5k more?  Maybe?  That will have to clear the wife. 

First, thoughts on what I should list the bike for?

Second, any sensible but interesting ideas that won't cost more than I am willing to part with?  Obviously the hyper is nice, but too spensive,  as is pretty much everything that I like.  Damn my awesome taste!

"Health!   The open sesame to the sucker's purse."
Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 12:33:48 PM »

Well, if the Hyper is too expensive then I guess a Streetfighter is out...sounds like you need an er, um, Monster...or maybe something like this...

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/13345_13382.aspx

or this...

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/652/0/home.aspx

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 01:06:01 PM »

Rumor has it that Super Dukes are easy on bad backs.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 07:04:20 PM »

Well, if the Hyper is too expensive then I guess a Streetfighter is out...sounds like you need an er, um, Monster...or maybe something like this...

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/13345_13382.aspx

or this...

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/652/0/home.aspx
Yeah, I would consider a good 2002 or newer 900 monster.  And I had kinda forgotten about the triple.  Good option.

Rumor has it that Super Dukes are easy on bad backs.

I don't want to imply that you are predictable, but.... Grin

I am curious, though.

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 07:25:05 PM »

Gene's suggestion on the triple (Speed please) is sound.  I sat on one of the new ones the other week, and the ergos on that bike are down right perfect.

I don't want to imply that you are predictable, but.... Grin

You're welcome to take it for a spin when you get up here.  Assuming I still have it that is.

I am curious, though.

Sounds like a trip to Thailand is in order.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »

What about simply redoing the top triple in a way that you can put higher bars on it?

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 09:07:02 PM »

What about simply redoing the top triple in a way that you can put higher bars on it?

I would have to put the old triple and stock bars back on it, and as silly as this may be, I don't love the bike like that.  I do love it in this format, but it doesn't suit me ergonomically.  Oh, the horror!

Speed 3 Pilot
Geezer

2014 Speed Triple R

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 09:17:05 PM »

I would have to put the old triple and stock bars back on it, and as silly as this may be, I don't love the bike like that.  I do love it in this format, but it doesn't suit me ergonomically.  Oh, the horror!

that's as good an excuse as any to get a new motorbike... Grin

Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Gettin' old ain't for wimps...

You only live once and I feel like I'm running out of time...
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 10:24:25 PM »

that's as good an excuse as any to get a new motorbike... Grin

What he said!  waytogo

MadDuck
The anti-

All the Ducati's made the 1290SDR possible!

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 10:42:39 PM »

Well, I knew that, of course. Just trying to stir things up a bit that's all.  Evil

No modification goes unpunished. Memento mori.  Good people drink good beer.  Things happen pretty fast at high speeds.

It's all up to your will level, your thrill level and your skill level.  Everything else is just fluff.
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 10:15:39 PM »

Well, I knew that, of course. Just trying to stir things up a bit that's all.  Evil

I know I can always count on you   waytogo

canes

High number of post, Does not = a high IQ

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 10:42:33 AM »

I just went from a Monster with clip-on's to a Hyper...

Its deff. the way to go....get the regular hyper if you cant afford the evo sp. But both back and knee problems was the reason for going with that style of bike...ex. SuperMoto.

NEVER GIVE UP !!!!!!!
eltristo
Go Go Gadget

Humble servant of MBG

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 03:52:42 PM »

I just went from a Monster with clip-on's to a Hyper...

Its deff. the way to go....get the regular hyper if you cant afford the evo sp. But both back and knee problems was the reason for going with that style of bike...ex. SuperMoto.

It's not so much can't afford as can't justify.  If I could find a good used example at a good price, it would make sense.   Though, until I sell the monster, I really don't know what kind of price makes sense. 

What is an 11 year old 750 with 14k miles and a few yummy bits worth?  Less than I want it to be, for sure.

canes

High number of post, Does not = a high IQ

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 01:18:49 PM »

Auchley I do have a 08 custom monster with clipons that im thinking about throwing on a set of multystrda forks and lengthening the rear travel to make a custom Hyper Monster. (+ lowering the foot-pegs and raising the handlebars )

NEVER GIVE UP !!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: