Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 12:29:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where can I find front wheel bearings for my S4RS  (Read 1669 times)
blue tiger

I'm damn near as tough as I am stupid.

« on: June 14, 2008, 07:02:12 PM »

I'm going to have the shop remove and straighten the bent rim on my new Tricolore. I trust these guys but I also want to know some prices going in. If I find that a bearing kit for a front wheel is like 20 bucks and they try to get me for a hundred I'll walk. I can't imagine them doing that but forewarned is forearmed I always say. I'm not up to doing the removal myself and the shop said they have to remove and replace the bearings when removing the wheel. I'm not sure why. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

I did do a search and found a few things but nothing specific to my model so here I am. Thanks.

I'm here to kick a*! and chew bubble gum...and I'm all out of bubble gum.
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 08:58:46 PM »

I see no reason why the bearings need to be removed or replaced.    If that is true it would mean replacing bearings with every tire purchase.  Remove calipers and axle and the wheel is out, bearings intact.  Whomever straightens the wheel will need bearings to true the wheel
blue tiger

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 12:00:05 AM »

See this is exactly what I thought. I was talking on the phone with one of the sales guys not a shop guy. I usually talk to the co-owner who is also the shop manager. I'll be paying him a visit this week to talk it through and have him give me an estimate before I decide anything. It rides fine but I don't like the little ding in the rim. It like a hot chick with a missing front tooth.

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 04:43:30 AM »

I'm sure all will work out fine.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 10:14:42 AM »

+1 on Howie's comments.

As you've found out, when the sales guy puts on a service hat, strange things are said.  Wink

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
mxwinky

'08 S4RS Tricolore #187, '95 900SS SP, MTS 1000S

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 07:17:31 PM »

Here's the bliff on the sitch:  If your front wheel is going to be straightened, it may be clamped in a tool that has larger fittings than the diameter of the axle, hence the need to remove the bearings in order to accommodate the machine doing the straightening.  Most shops will not reuse bearings that have been knocked/pressed out for fear of them being (even slightly) damaged and having the job come back when the bearings start to make noise, or worse seize.  It is possible to remove bearings and reinstall them without damaging them, but it's pretty cheap insurance to just replace them.  I can't quote you on Ducati's price for the bearings, but if you get the bearing numbers off the old ones I'd be surprised if they were more than $20 each from a regular bearing supply store.  We have several here in the Bay Area and I'm always able to find bearings incredibly cheap, and seals too.  Also, clearly your wheel took a good enough hit to damage it.  I'll bet most shops would recommend bearing replacement as part of their estimate when looking at such a repair.  Again, better safe than sorry.  Now after all the expense of getting a beautiful Tricolore, do you really want to pinch a penny where your safety and the integrity of the bike is concerned?

If it's got two wheels and a motor, I like it!
dlearl476

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 07:37:43 PM »

Also, clearly your wheel took a good enough hit to damage it.  I'll bet most shops would recommend bearing replacement as part of their estimate when looking at such a repair.  Again, better safe than sorry.  Now after all the expense of getting a beautiful Tricolore, do you really want to pinch a penny where your safety and the integrity of the bike is concerned?

+1

Ducati's price is about 125% of the price I got at a bearing house (about $25/per).   Start by reading the number on the side of your bearing, then call these guys:
http://www.accuratebearing.com/quote.php
Chances are, it's a 6005-XXXX (x's denoting the seal type and size, etc.) but I can't be sure.  I have a '99 M900 with 17/20 mm axles.
blue tiger

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 10:40:12 PM »

Awesome advice from an awesome site !! I am biding my time on the repair (at least until Thursday when I'm closer to going out of town on Vacation) so that I won't miss it so much while I'm gone. From previous experience the service dept. at my dealership is a-one so hopefully it won't be to ungodly expensive. I'm hoping less than 500 bucks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: