Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 29, 2024, 03:46:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 90 degree turns  (Read 5507 times)
hunduc

08 S2R1K

« on: May 11, 2011, 06:25:39 PM »

this might be a stupid question, but riding on city streets and taking 90 degree turns at corners (no stopping), what gear are you in? what is your speed? i always wonder if i am clumsy at those turns, or average.

thought
Everyone needs a

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 06:42:08 PM »

generally first because i'm still using a 15t front sprocket... being in second and having to possible drop a gear in case some pedestrians pop up is kind of annoying for me.  and this is in nyc, so average speed is pretty low... it's pretty rare i get above 3rd... or even get into 3rd for that matter.

'10 SFS 1098
'11 M796 ABS - Sold
'05 SV650N - Sold
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 04:01:42 AM »

Same, first or second, depending on pedestrian traffic.
Slide Panda
Omnipotent Potentate
Post Whore

Personal Pretext

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 05:43:47 AM »

In city or slow riding, the rear brake can be your best friend. A little dab of rear brake while still on the power is part of how those LEO and skilled low speed riders manage such tight, slow moves while keeping the bike up.

Go find a parking lot and try to ride from point A to B as slowly as you can with no brake or clutch modulation. Now, give it a go again using a little bit of rear brake (no front) and slip the clutch as needed while keeping your RPMs up - say around 4-5K. And you'll find that you can keep the bike stable and tracking straight and really low speed. With practice you can get down to speeds that are fractions of MPH for a short bit.

The point of this is that a little bit of balance work, and some rear brake can really smooth out low speed navigation.

-Throttle's on the right, so are the brakes.  Good luck.
- '00 M900S with all the farkles
- '08 KTM 690 StupidMoto
- '07 Triumph 675 Track bike.
hunduc

08 S2R1K

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 08:35:25 AM »

In city or slow riding, the rear brake can be your best friend. A little dab of rear brake while still on the power is part of how those LEO and skilled low speed riders manage such tight, slow moves while keeping the bike up.

Go find a parking lot and try to ride from point A to B as slowly as you can with no brake or clutch modulation. Now, give it a go again using a little bit of rear brake (no front) and slip the clutch as needed while keeping your RPMs up - say around 4-5K. And you'll find that you can keep the bike stable and tracking straight and really low speed. With practice you can get down to speeds that are fractions of MPH for a short bit.

The point of this is that a little bit of balance work, and some rear brake can really smooth out low speed navigation.

that's the thing - i got so accustomed to clutch modulation in slow cornering i have to force myself not to do it. the l-twin just so rough on low rpms (i switched from an fz6) that i automatically start to play with the clutch when i slow down too much.

i will try the rear brake method. i guess you have to be very careful not to slid sideways.  

meanmonster

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 03:55:37 PM »

1st mosty for a very sharp from a stop 90 and Little combo of dip, sometimes clutch slippage  and turn for sharp and slow 90s. Wider 90s that I can just lean though and don't have to stop mostly 2nd sometimes 1st, depends.
pitbull

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 03:52:12 PM »

+1 for the rear brake

My GF took a msf course a couple of years ago and really struggled with slow speed manouvers the first day. So much so, she wanted to quit. I explained how to use the rear brake while executing slow speed turns and she came back after the second day reall yexcited about how easy it had been and how much more she enjoyed the day.

01 monster 900ie cromo, 01 ST4
jvax
in the land of the rising sun

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 01:21:50 AM »

The rear brake is your friend when doing anything at slow speeds (even wheelies  Evil).

+1 on practicing this more till you feel more comfortable with the L twin's roughness at low rpms.  A bit of clutch play when needed is not bad either.

'08 R1200GS
'10 M796 ABS Black (Sold)
Hellraising-vtec

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 11:00:08 AM »

depends on my speed but probably 1st for me
bikepilot

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 03:18:03 PM »

It depends on speed and conditions of course, but most often 2nd for me if there's not a bunch of traffic in the way.  I'll usually have a finger on the clutch and usually feed it in as I roll on power to make the transition from braking to power nice and smooth (most bikes, incl. the wife's monster, have a bit of a jerk from the off-on throttle transition). I'd scrub most of the speed with the front primarily going into the turn and then might use the rear a little.  I like to be on the power by the apex if not earlier - keeps the chassis happier imo.  Dragging the rear brake into the turn helps though with scrubbing speed and helps keep the rear end calm.

2009 XB12XT
2006 Monster 620 (wife's)
1997 TL1000S
1975 Kawasaki H1 Mach III
2001 CR250R (CO do-it-all bike)
2000 XR650R (dez racer)
2003 KX100 (wife's)
1994 DR250SE (wife's/my city commuter)
Duc796canada

My first Ducati and road bike!

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 10:29:33 PM »

It depends on speed and conditions of course, but most often 2nd for me if there's not a bunch of traffic in the way.  I'll usually have a finger on the clutch and usually feed it in as I roll on power to make the transition from braking to power nice and smooth (most bikes, incl. the wife's monster, have a bit of a jerk from the off-on throttle transition). I'd scrub most of the speed with the front primarily going into the turn and then might use the rear a little.  I like to be on the power by the apex if not earlier - keeps the chassis happier imo.  Dragging the rear brake into the turn helps though with scrubbing speed and helps keep the rear end calm.

Sounds like what I do, I dominate my lane as well, gives me room. Hey there is no rush.

796 Red Monster(sans ABS)
Viz-Tec Supabrake II
15/41 gearing(AFAM quick change sprocket)
PC V, NEXTUP QS.
2006 Suzuki GSXR 600 track bike(I know...not a Duc...some day)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: