Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 06:43:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Higher Speeds with Less Lean Angle?  (Read 8276 times)
Spider
Ozmonsters: degenerating nicely since 2008

I may be long, but I fold up nicely

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 11:43:54 PM »

Let us not all forget that perception is a HUGE factor here as well.  It could be that newbie factor of percieved lean angle.. you may be leaning just as far as your buddy is, but you dont think you are.  Or the opposite is true, you may think he is leaning way more than he actually is... just throwing out nonsense possibly as well.. LOL

no cabbie, i think it's sensical...all newbies feel they are leaning over and they aren't...I'm a newbie and I swear that I'm doing corners like Doohan, but really it's a 10˚ lean and I've got 35˚ to go.

I was rapt when a bloke following me asked if the bike was difficult to turn because I was using a heap of body english - at least it meant that I really was hanging off / moving around.

so if the wise suggest track days....at what stage should this bloke go? 3000 miles? 3 months?

Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 04:45:13 AM »

so if the wise suggest track days....at what stage should this bloke go? 3000 miles? 3 months?

My wife went to a track school after riding one summer.   She said it was the best thing she could have done.

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
johnster

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 07:22:20 AM »

Total Control by: Lee Parks,read it apply it,then practice,practice,practice!!!!

+11tyb..

That, and Twist/Wrist II are both loaded w/good cornering info..

-Basically if you want to start hanging off a bit in the corners, the first thing to try would be to position your upper body towards the inside of the turn. You have to get used to this before you start thinking about moving your lower body/butt off of the seat. Many people think  they're hanging off by moving their lower body towards the inside while their upper body remains centered. This is called being "crossed up" which actually does more bad than good..

-Try these three things next time you're taking a corner...This is how I learned:

1:   As you're about to coutersteer, position your chest + head slightly towards the inside handlebar (Don't worry about what your butt's doing right now).

2:   Stay on the balls of your feet, but focus more weight on your OUTSIDE foot, which helps to still feel connected to the bike, rather than falling off of it.

3: Look as Far through the turn as possible, and smoothly throttle through the turn without making any additional steering inputs until you're ready to start your exit sequence.. Stay loose on the bars!!!

-    You'll likely find that you just took the turn as fast as you normally do, but the bike was leaned over much less than usual. Once you feel more and more comfortable with this, then you can think about increasing the amount that your upper body is shifting, in addition to hanging a cheek off of the seat...

-   The goal is to compensate for not leaning the bike as much by hanging off + letting your body weight do the work. Not leaning the bike as much equals the ability to take the turn faster....See where all this is going??  Wink

-I practice this ALL THE TIME, and the key is baby steps. start by mildly changing body position and work your way up....Sitting there like a stiff on the bike goes against what the bike is wanting to do while its leaned over. 

Hope this helps!!  Cool
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 07:25:19 AM by Johnster » Logged

2001 MS4; Full Termi w/airbox, ECU, SPS cams, CycleCat ClipOn Adapters, Apex clip-ons, CRG's, MW open clutch, Sargent Saddle, CF aplenty.. NOT RIDEABLE FOR A LONG TIME DUE TO MY STUPID LACK OF JUDGEMENT!!
misti

Leap and the net will appear!

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 12:49:36 PM »

Alright, I guess I just need to keep riding and practicing for awhile and figure it out.  I know track school is definitely the best way, and I would love to go in the future, but I feel like it would be a waste of money right now as I have not developed my skills enough to take advantage of the instruction.

OLA everyone!  Glad to make the switch to this site Smiley  As a coach with the California Superbike School, this is something that I hear very often.  A lot of riders think that a track school would be more beneficial once they have developed more skills/had more practice, however, the schools are where you are going to develop the CORRECT skills.  It makes no sense really to keep practicing something on the street that is incorrect, only to go to the school and have to UNLEARN bad habits.  I see it all the time.  So, if you are thinking of going to a school, I would suggest sooner rather than later. 

Now, with that said, I think that the original question was a really good one.  It is quite possible that Gatorgrizz27 IS leaning over more than his riding buddy while going slower through the corner.  As some of you have touched on, it most likely has something to do with body position on the bike.  If you go around a corner and your body stays upright, or leans a little bit opposite to the direction of the turn (which is extremely common) then you are going to end up leaning the bike over MORE than you need, and you risk scraping pegs or hard parts which is a BAD idea.  As someone suggested, if you get your body over to the inside of the turn you can essentially get around the corner with LESS Lean angle.  There tends to be a misunderstanding out there about leaning.  Lots of people want to lean the bike over as FAR AS POSSIBLE to get rid of chicken strips, go faster etc, but there are many benefits of getting around a turn with LESS lean angle.  What are some of biggest reason's why you want less lean angle around a turn, and are there any other ways to lean the bike over less in a corner while going the same speed or faster?

Cherio!

Misti

www.superbikeschool.com
www.mistihurst.com

gatorgrizz27

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 01:40:18 PM »

Thanks a lot for the more helpful info, especially to Johnster and Misti.  I have the total control book and have been reading through it, stuff like the body positioning is what I am looking for.  In the MSF course all they tell you is that you need to lean the bike to make it turn = not that helpful.  I will try some of this stuff out and keep practicing, anyone know of a good track school in the north florida (tallahassee) area or somewhere nearby?  Thanks, Jon.
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 03:47:54 PM »

OLA everyone!  Glad to make the switch to this site Smiley 

Misti

www.superbikeschool.com
www.mistihurst.com

Glad you are here and posting.  Looking forward to levels 3 and 4 in September at VIR.

Chris
<end threadjack>

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
Ducatista

I don't need to brag about a titanium member.

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 05:12:01 PM »

OLA everyone!  Glad to make the switch to this site Smiley 

Misti

www.superbikeschool.com
www.mistihurst.com

[threadjack]

Glad you wandered over!  Great article on tank slappers, btw.  We're looking forward to CSS Level 1 at Laguna in November.   [moto]

[/threadjack]

carbon fiber Superbike front fender, bar end mirrors, floating cast iron rotors, carbon fiber chin fairing, Cycle Cat frame sliders, Arrow carbon fiber low mount slip ons, Rizoma billet cam belt covers w/ plexi windows, Rizoma billet front sprocket cover, billet handlebar clamp, carbon fiber rear hugger, tail chop, open air box, Corbin seat, stainless clutch springs w/ black keepers, suicideless sidestand bolt, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder

www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
misti

Leap and the net will appear!

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 02:59:09 PM »

Awesome!  You will have so much fun!!!  That is where I took level one and level two when I was a student  [moto]

Ride Safe!

Misti

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: