Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 04:36:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To: Install Rizoma Reverse Retro Mirrors (M1100S)  (Read 26636 times)
StephenC

« on: May 13, 2011, 05:22:45 PM »

I know this is easy stuff compared to most of the 'How To's on here, but I'm not mechanically inclined and looked for a good guide and couldn't find one.  Hopefully this will help somebody else, as impractical as me!

The parts supplied by Rizoma.

Not all the parts are needed, but you will need bar ends (in this case Rizoma 23mm).

Start by removing the old mirror, just undo the marked bolt.  Note that the right mirror (on the throttle side) is reverse threaded so is removed by turning clockwise.

There are several ways to tidy up the gaping hole you leave behind. I elected to just turn the clamp upside down, as I couldn't find plastic hole caps that would fit (1/4" I believe).

And then remove the stock bar end.  I used a combination of increasingly wide screwdriver blades and a pair of pliers to gently prise it out.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 04:01:32 PM by StephenC » Logged

Ducati Monster 1100S (2009)
StephenC

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 05:34:49 PM »

Fit together the new bar end.  Note: the conical metal part on the left of the pictures is the threaded one and is on the opposite way around to the way it came in the pack.

Hand tighten the conical bolt, until it is snug against the funny metal spacer thingy (the technical term!).  Insert the whole thing into the end of the bar and tighten with an allen key.  Try to leave a small (1mm) gap between the bar end and the end of the grip, on the throttle side bar.  This lets the throttle turn freely.

Then attach the Rizoma mirror stalk.  You can hang them under the bar but this didn't look "right" to me so I did them this way.  I used the white spacer that came with the mirror.  It went on the clutch side easily but was a tight fit on the throttle side.  I think it would have fitted without the spacer but had to be really tightened and I was worried that the circle of the clamp was quite deformed by the time I got it to grip, so I used the spacer.

Finally screw on the mirror, with the supplied screw (it is hidden behind the first layer of foam in the box, if you can't find it!).

Enjoy!!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 04:04:48 PM by StephenC » Logged

StephenC

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 05:38:01 PM »

The final result:

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 04:14:42 PM by StephenC » Logged

jvax
in the land of the rising sun

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:03:29 AM »

Nice writeup.  Easy mod, but makes the monster looks a lot better  waytogo

'08 R1200GS
'10 M796 ABS Black (Sold)
uglyducky
something, words, clever . . .

one way to do this is we can all get naked . . .

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 04:53:56 PM »

have the same mirrors.  non convex glass took some getting used to but i love em

2008 S4RS - Tricolore #324 (about to get bastardized)
2007 S4RS - pearl/red with some tweaks (sold)
2005 S4R - Bastarda Nera (sold)
2001 M900Sie modded to high holy hell (sold)
2001 996 Biposto - (sold)
dirtypunkysocalreggae . . . MANDORiCO
niles

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 06:38:20 PM »

I couldn't find plastic hole caps that would fit (1/4" I believe).

http://www.mcmaster.com/#snap-in-plugs/=cngprw

Options in plastic and metal, metric and imperial. I'm guessing the hole is metric, but I could be wrong.

Cheers,
niles
StephenC

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 07:23:08 PM »

Thanks, but I found a set whilst trying to find a socket big enough to remove the rear-sets, when I am ready to do that mod.

BlutoVT

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 01:03:19 PM »

Hey, I was attempting to install these mirrors but I ran into a problem early on. When I pulled the stock bar ends off, the handles were hollow. There was nothing to screw into for the Rizoma bar end, like nothing to keep it from falling out. Am I missing something?
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 01:21:38 PM »

There should be a threaded expanding sleeve like in the pics above.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

BlutoVT

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 02:35:07 PM »

Ok, I figured it out. The expanding sleeve comes with the mirror and NOT with the bar ends. The bar ends came with several different sized (diameter) rubber sleeves and I found one that was a snug fit. Once I got it inside the handle bar, it seemed to tighten up (expand?) when I tightened the bolt at the end of the bar end. I did all this before I found the sleeve/collet that came with the mirrors, but they feel very tight as is, so I'm gonna leave them in with the rubber sleeve.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 02:48:47 PM »

FWIW...

my CRG mirror fell off with a rubber expanding dealio.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

BlutoVT

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 02:56:57 PM »

Hmmm maybe I'll take the time to use those expanding collets  Smiley

Thanks for sharing
militar3rd
Ce Sharp

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 09:53:13 PM »

That's some nice set of Mirrors. Planning to do it on my M900, but I kinda like the no-mirror look  Grin

2006 Kawasaki ZZR 600 (Track&Commute)
2001 Monster M900 Si.e. (Current)
1998 Honda Superhawk VTR 1000 (Sold)
1993 Honda CBR 600 F2 [101,000+ miles] (Sold)
1983 Kawasaki GPZ 550 [220,000+ km] @ Philippines (Donated to degenerate cousin)
molascoa

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 05:45:10 AM »

BUMP

Problem:  Rizoma end caps/bar ends spin inside the handle bar.  The rubber grommet secures the bar end so that it cannot be pulled out, but does not provide enough force to stop it from spinning inside the handle bar.

Below is a picture of the original bar end.  The bar end is tapered, hence cannot be used to mount a bar end mirror.  But its grommets provide the solution.

Remove the grommets and install them on the Rizoma bar end.

Below is a picture of the Rizoma bar end with the original bar end grommets installed.  This configuration will provide the pressure needed to secure the bar end firmly and stop it from spinning.

oldndumb

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 10:57:09 AM »

I know this is easy stuff compared to most of the 'How To's on here, but I'm not mechanically inclined and looked for a good guide and couldn't find one.  Hopefully this will help somebody else, as impractical as me!

Well, Stephen, you may not think you are mechanically inclined, but I'm here to say that that is not true. You might not have fostered that talent but it is obviously there.

Good installation and writeup!   waytogo
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: