Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 30, 2024, 07:33:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: duc_fan has a new toy...  (Read 1997 times)
duc_fan

Designated right-wing religious kook.

« on: May 16, 2011, 09:23:52 AM »

Brought this little beasty home on Saturday:

Nope, I can't own anything normal.  Wink

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon.  Has the 904ie Duc 2-valver with a dry clutch.  Basically a Monster/SS 900 motor but with 750 small-valve heads (less HP, more low-end grunt... or so they claim).  If I own it long enough to rebuild the engine, I'd eventually like to turn it into a 944 with MBP Big Red heads.  So anyway, motor is common Ducati 2-valve, chassis is a little more rare.  Only around 1000 of these imported between 1999 and 2000.  However, I found out the chassis (and plastics) is basically the same as the Cagiva Navigator, which was Suzuki TL1000 powered and sold in Europe until 2006.  So if all else fails, I can get a lot of the plastics out of Europe.  Thank God for the interwebz and a global economy!  (I just ordered a really cool fuel mixture tuning tool from the UK a couple weeks ago as well)

Bike also included the OEM handlebar, a set of round Monster mirrors, and big Givi sidecases + trunk.  I'll put the Hepco-Becker crashbars on it, find some OEM Multistrada mirrors with integrated turn signals, do an HID conversion on the low beam, and eventually add some fog/driving lights.  Some form of heated grips or those hippo hands are also on the accessories list, along with a Throttlemeister.  I'd also like to fab up an aluminum bash plate for underneath... that silver plastic housing conceals the fuel pump.  Shocked  I'd like something a little tougher between it and the ground.

I'm VERY happy to be back on a Ducati-engined bike.  Grin  This bugger is going to see many kilometers of use (the odo and trip meter are in km... which will make calculating range and mileage a little more interesting).

Bought it without digging myself a debt hole, which makes me even happier!  A Multi would be easier to find chassis parts for and a Tiger would be more powerful, but this was affordable without getting a vehicle loan, has basically the same engine as my SS, and sounds awesome.  Rides really well, too.

In the pics you can see the light silver handlebar and spacers under the bar mounts.  Previous owner had those to improve the reach to the bars.  I found with my long arms that I needed to sit way back, halfway on the pillion seat.  So yesterday I removed the spacers and put the OEM bar back on.  Fits my frame much better now.  Speaking of fit, Erica likes the back seat, says it's quite comfortable.  I'll order the backrest for the Givi trunk to finish off the passenger accommodations.

Anyway... I'm very happy to have a bike in the garage again.  Grin  And one with a Ducati engine, no less!

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

"I want a peaceful soul. I need a bigger gun." -- Charlie Crews on Life

Street: 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Track: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR - Salvage project
Sold: 2001 Ducati SS900ie - Gone, but not forgotten...
meanmonster

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:10:59 AM »

Nice! Looks great for commuting and maybe some long haul trips.

duc_fan

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 06:59:22 PM »

Just got my WA plate.  Can't wait to ride it to work tomorrow!

"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -- Albert Einstein

scott_araujo

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 06:45:47 AM »

Good to see you back on two wheels Smiley
krolik

Yeah, that's me. So what.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 08:28:55 AM »

Shouldn't you cahnge your avatar picture? Grin

'03 M800 "not so dark" Dark, Remus high pipes, Cycle Cat clipons & frame sliders, CRG lanesplitter mirrors, Sargent seat, tail chop, Nichols flywheel, modified & powdercoated rearsets, 15/44 gearing, 520 chain & sprockets, TPO Beast pod filters, Power Comander III. 72.95 Rear Wheel HP & 54.29 ft-lbs!

Quote from: SacDuc
No. I'm a different type of idiot altogether.
duc_fan

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 10:40:36 AM »

Shouldn't you cahnge your avatar picture? Grin

Yeah... I need to get a good pic of the bike out somewhere adventurous, first.  Wink  Erica and I are gonna go for a ride out to the new place within the next few weeks and I'll be taking the camera.

Good to see you back on two wheels Smiley

Great to be back on two wheels!  It was a gorgeous morning and a wonderful ride out SR14 to work today.  Having a bike makes the commute an enjoyable outing... which makes it a lot easier to get out of bed in the morning.  waytogo

I'm really loving the more laid-back style of this bike.  I don't feel like I need to be going 10 over for the bike to be happy.  It still carves corners with confidence (albeit not like a true sportbike), it accelerates effortlessly, yet it's not as high strung as the SS... you can loaf along and enjoy the ride more.

Also loving the gas mileage.  Haven't had to fill it up yet, but all reports point to 38-42 mpg.  I put it into a spreadsheet, included bridge toll, and calculated how much each round trip to work costs in each vehicle I use... the Dodge costs $15.52 per round trip with regular at $4.06/gallon; the VW costs $9.98 with Super at $4.26/gallon; the Cagiva costs $6.24 per round trip with Super at $4.26/gallon... AND it'll get cheaper... I will probably start running Plus in it ($4.16/gal), because it has a lower-compression motor in it (9.6:1), and it ran fine on the regular that the previous owner put in it.

Insurance for the bike sets me back $27/month.  If I commute on it ten times, I save $37.40 compared to the car (filling both with Super).  It works out to only 7 commutes to break even on insurance.  Oil changes cost me about the same for all my vehicles, and they all get changed at 3000 miles, so no real difference there.  Tires is the only thing that might set me back... but I haven't calculated it, and I have no idea what the average mileage is for dual-sport tires.  Anyway... at least my monthly fuel bill will go down (minimally during spring/summer/fall).  Smiley  When we move to the new place, my commute distance increases by almost 10 miles each way, so the bike will really be earning its keep then!

Regardless of money though... I am really stoked to have a motorbike again.  Grin  Sooooo much fun!  I hope to ride this thing until it wears out... then rebuild it and keep riding!

Mother

Free Organic Individual

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 09:27:59 AM »

can you change the belts on that without removing the pipe?

found my old skin suit
duc_fan

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 08:35:45 PM »

I think so.  There's a surprising amount of clearance around the pipe once you remove the heat shield, and all the fasteners are accessible.

Getting to the rear cylinder valves to adjust them is looking like the biggest bizatch.  Involves fuel tank removal, amongst other things.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: