Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

May 01, 2024, 02:58:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roadtrip to Durango  (Read 4050 times)
DucNaked
I'm not just the owner, I'm also a

« on: May 20, 2011, 05:43:54 PM »

Three friends and I are trailering our bikes from Maine to Durango for a week of riding. I've never been, and I'm looking for "must" do rides. Also currant road conditions and roads to avoid would be helpful. Home base will be Durango , but we are bringing camping gear so we can do some overnight trips. Leaving June 16 and returning the 24 any input would be welcomed. Hope to meet some of you guys out there too!  [moto]
Thanks
John

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
aerofaze

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 02:46:01 PM »

From Durango, one of the MUST-DO rides would be US-550, known as the Million Dollar Highway or also as Red Mountain Pass.  Last week it looked good with several riders, but then we've had recent snow in the mountains so I'm not sure what it'll be like now.

If you access the Roadmap mentioned in the first post from the link below, it'll give you ideas of other awesome motorcycling routes!
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=47870.0
Dietrich

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 04:03:04 PM »

I can second the Million Dollar Hwy through Ouray, and highly recommend Steamworks Brewery Co downtown Durango for food and beverage!

aerofaze

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 09:22:51 AM »

A HUGE +1 for Steamworks Brewery!!  I liked nearly all the beers in my choice of samples.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 01:01:52 PM by aerofaze » Logged
DucNaked

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 12:02:55 PM »

Looks like we'll be stopping at Steamworks chug I'll post before we stop to see if anyone wants to meet up

"If your bike is quiter than mine your a pussy, if it's louder you're an asshole." Monster 1100S
aerofaze

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 01:00:28 PM »

If you're a dark beer fan, the current stout at Steamworks as of 2 weeks ago is one of the most interesting stouts I've had.  I think it's called Backside Stout and it's complex but super tasty!  drink

And finally, the website below will give you a decent update on current road conditions throughout the state.
http://cotrip.org/roadConditions.htm

DucNaked

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 01:43:25 PM »

We did a test run with the trailer the other day looks like it's going to work.  chug

We also came up with a couple routes.

J_Slyter

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 05:20:09 PM »

Yup, those are some of the must do roads up there. If you can work it in on your second route, I'd try and add CO 92 to that one, it hugs the North Rim of the Black Canyon between Hochkiss and where it connects back up to Highway 50.

CO 65 over the Grand Mesa is also one to squeeze in if you have time. It is basically the long way between Grand Junction and Delta.

DucNaked

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 03:52:16 PM »

How's 141 out of Grand Junction?

flynbulldog

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 04:59:18 PM »

a friend and I will be doing a similar ride starting on the 13th so we'll be a little ahead of you.

Heading into ouray and teluride then over to gateway and making our way north to the steamboat area.
We may or may not make it into Durango but we won't be staying there. (there are much better places to stay)

Gateway resort is good place to stay and maybe get a little hiking, fishing, or ATVing in for a day's break.
Gateway canyon won't be the most scenic of the trip but it is a blast.
Black Canyon of the Gunnison is one of the highlights but the best roads are near Teluride and Ouray.
DucNaked

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 01:20:43 PM »

We got together and planned a 4 day trip. If there is anything we should add let me know.  [moto] Thanks.
John

Day 1, hotel grand junction

Day 2, gunnison

day 3, delta

day 4, durango

J_Slyter

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 07:24:56 AM »

That looks like a great route, but I don't see Highway 550 between Durango, Silverton and Ouray included in any of your maps. While your hitting most the best roads in the area, you're missing what may be the #1 reason to ride that area if you are leaving Hwy 550 out (IMO). They don't call it the Million Dollar Highway for nothing.
aerofaze

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 10:54:19 AM »

That looks like a great route, but I don't see Highway 550 between Durango, Silverton and Ouray included in any of your maps. While your hitting most the best roads in the area, you're missing what may be the #1 reason to ride that area if you are leaving Hwy 550 out (IMO). They don't call it the Million Dollar Highway for nothing.

^^ +1. 

You've got at least 3 of us in above posts saying about US 550, "DO EET!!"
DucNaked

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 02:31:28 PM »

^^ +1. 

You've got at least 3 of us in above posts saying about US 550, "DO EET!!"

We're going to do it. Just not in those four days. We've got three more full days of riding and we have a house in Durango so we'll probably hit the 550 a few times.  waytogo Thanks a lot guys.

flynbulldog

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 04:27:49 PM »

don't forget the keys to the bikes!  waytogo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: