Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 18, 2024, 03:28:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 98424 times)
lazylightnin717

we used to play for silver, now we play for life

« Reply #285 on: January 18, 2015, 10:58:01 AM »

Triple J: have you read any of the other Vonnegut books?

Comes a time
When the blind man takes your hand
Says don't you see
Gotta' make it somehow
On the dreams you still believe
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #286 on: January 19, 2015, 06:31:58 AM »

Very interesting read as well. The Ventura story wasn't in the version of American Sniper that I just read.

I presume they removed it since they went to court.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
Triple J
« Reply #287 on: January 19, 2015, 08:46:44 AM »

Triple J: have you read any of the other Vonnegut books?

Ya, quite a few. I'm a big Vonnegut fan. Cat's Cradle is my favorite. Welcome to the Monkey House is a cool collection of his short stories.

I don't remember the specifics of Blue Beard, as I read it a long time ago. I just remember thinking it was a cool book.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 02:21:08 PM by Triple J » Logged
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #288 on: January 19, 2015, 11:33:36 AM »

I presume they removed it since they went to court.

Ventura was never mentioned by name in the book, only as "Scruffy" who Kyle later ID'd as Ventura in interviews. Is the "Scruffy" barfight story in the version yall read? What about his story about being summoned to shoot looters from a rooftop in the aftermath of Katrina by a top secret govt agency?

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #289 on: January 19, 2015, 12:24:43 PM »

What about his story about being summoned to shoot looters from a rooftop in the aftermath of Katrina by a top secret govt agency?

Did you read the book?

Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #290 on: January 19, 2015, 01:52:34 PM »

Did you read the book?

Nope. The Ventura story broke in 2012. "Scruff Face" was the character in the book and the lawsuit wasn't filed until Kyle id'd Ventura as "Scruff Face" on Opie and Anthony then Bill O'Reilly. And in the dozen or so objective reviews I've read on AS the story was always Scruff Face. There's absolutely no reason to believe Ventura was ever named in the book and a mountain  of evidence to say he wasn't. It's a little like confirming the validity of nuclear fission without having to split an atom yourself.

So....is the "Scruff Face" story in the contemporary version?

"while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." -Debs
Triple J
« Reply #291 on: January 19, 2015, 02:20:15 PM »

Ventura was never mentioned by name in the book, only as "Scruffy" who Kyle later ID'd as Ventura in interviews. Is the "Scruffy" barfight story in the version yall read? What about his story about being summoned to shoot looters from a rooftop in the aftermath of Katrina by a top secret govt agency?

No, none of that is in the version I just read (finished last week). I would have remembered either, especially since I was looking for anything sounding like the Ventura story. The Katrina story is just too out there to forget. Good book, although some does seem a bit far fetched (what do I know though, I've never been to war)...but the Katrina thing is just over the top.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 02:24:39 PM by Triple J » Logged
1.21GW

bikeless

« Reply #292 on: January 19, 2015, 02:46:38 PM »

from wikipedia:

Changes to book after initial publication
The sub-chapter titled "Punching Out Scruff Face" was removed by HarperCollins in subsequent editions after a U.S. Federal Trial Jury on July 29, 2014 found this section of the book and the book's author, Chris Kyle, in TV and Radio interviews had defamed the plaintiff, Jesse Ventura, and were unjustly enriched by that defamation. The jury awarded $500,000 for defamation and $1,345,477.25 for unjust enrichment. The lawsuit, Ventura v. Kyle, is currently being appealed by the defendant to the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.

So it looks like it was taken out in editions published after Jul/2014.

"I doubt I'm her type---I'm sure she's used to the finer things.  I'm usually broke. I'm kinda sloppy…"
Rudemouthsky
Autonomous red and black

No gods and no masters

« Reply #293 on: January 19, 2015, 03:07:32 PM »

A.J Delgado of "The National Review" penned a very good, apolitical article about the lawsuit and the vitriol that went Ventura's way after the suit. Just Google if ya wanna check it out.

For the record I'm not a huge Ventura fan although there is much to be admired about someone as "comfortable in his own skin" as he is. I've tried to argue with him on his FB page when he spouts certain conspiracy theories...but he hasn't responded yet, lol.

Jaman

« Reply #294 on: January 20, 2015, 12:19:12 PM »

Light and Shade: Conversations with Jimmy Page

waytogo
kopfjäger
Post Whore

Feral 859

« Reply #295 on: January 21, 2015, 06:18:25 AM »

Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife

John A. Nagal

“Woohoohoohoo! Two personal records! For breath holding and number of sharks shot in the frickin\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Privateer

God created Ducati to train the faithful.

« Reply #296 on: January 21, 2015, 06:35:34 AM »

Trying to read Clockwork Orange... tough for me with all the slang.  I had to put it down and I'll get back to it when I'm more focused.

In the meantime I started on Starship Troopers.

To the person reading Dune.  I've read them all.  Even the "expanded universe" books by the son.  Don't bother with those unless you're like me and just had to read it all. 

Of the six Frank books, I actually like the last 2 the most.  Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune.

My fast lap is your sighting lap.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #297 on: January 21, 2015, 07:30:07 AM »

Trying to read Clockwork Orange... tough for me with all the slang.  I had to put it down and I'll get back to it when I'm more focused.

In the meantime I started on Starship Troopers.

To the person reading Dune.  I've read them all.  Even the "expanded universe" books by the son.  Don't bother with those unless you're like me and just had to read it all. 

Of the six Frank books, I actually like the last 2 the most.  Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune.

Starship Trooper was the very first book I read for pleasure. Hooked from there. Not what you expect at all and still one of the best scifi books I've ever read. The second and third Dune books were not great.

Grampa
I am Sofa King
Post Whore

idiot sans savant.

« Reply #298 on: January 21, 2015, 07:37:08 AM »

Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife

John A. Nagal

Send a copy to droneboy.

Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar kicked me out of the band..... they said I didnt fit the image they were trying to project. 

So I went solo.  -Me

Some people call 911..... some people are 911
-Marcus Luttrell
lazylightnin717

we used to play for silver, now we play for life

« Reply #299 on: January 21, 2015, 12:39:25 PM »

Have you seen the movie?

Comes a time
When the blind man takes your hand
Says don't you see
Gotta' make it somehow
On the dreams you still believe
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: