Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 19, 2024, 07:30:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stator failure?  (Read 2076 times)
Dr. Stylo

« on: May 19, 2011, 10:38:21 AM »

on my 2009 696, my stator failed, and is currently being replaced. 1st dealership was giving me the run around, and diagnostic and repair costs were going up, so took it to another Ducati dealer and they assure me that this (the stator) is the cause of my battery charging failure.  They report some type of grounding issue with the coils in the stator.  I asked if this was common, and they said no, not at all, that this was a rare issue.  They needed to order the stator from Ducati, and it should be in the beginning of next week.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a stator failure?  I have like 3200 miles total on the bike, seems somewhat frustrating to have something like that fail with so few miles.  Hopefully this is an isolated incident, and just a single faulty part.
stopintime

S2R 800 '07

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 01:44:57 PM »

I had to get one and was told it's a very rare thing to happen.

On my bike with 35.000 miles, I accept it - on your bike, maybe a little harder to swallow.

You can be angry with Ducati for putting a low quality part on your bike,
but if it's out of warranty...... not much you can do about it.

237,000 km/sixteen years - loving it
Dr. Stylo

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 02:00:28 PM »

Yes, the sad part is I am out of warranty. That makes this entire thing very frustrating.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 05:06:25 PM »

Yes, the sad part is I am out of warranty. That makes this entire thing very frustrating.
I'd ask a dealer anyway.

Stator failures are not common.

DNA might help out.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Dr. Stylo

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 05:45:34 PM »

Already asked, they denied the claim. The dealership tried. DNA would not budge.
jakem696

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 05:55:20 PM »

A friend's bike had the same issue. They had to replace the stator. Now my bike is having the same similar problem. I took the bike to the dealer, and I told them I just put a new battery and a new rectifier. So the stator is the suspect. I also found out that  there's another 696 bike in there experiencing the same symptoms. So I'm starting to think that this is not an isolated issue.

Jake.

09 Dark M696
    Tail chop
    Full Termis exhaust Kit
    14t front
    CRG Bar end mirror
    Woodcraft Rear set
    Belly Pan
88 Honda VFR400R(NC24)
90 Honda VFR750R(RC30)
Dr. Stylo

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 02:38:57 PM »

That's interesting....If you have more information, I would appreciate it.  Both Ducati Dealers in Denver stated that this is not a common issue, and neither of them had seen it before.  So, if you can account for 3 similar failures...I would appreciate some background and info as to the symptoms and diagnostic/cost of repair.  I feel I am getting a fair price on my repair, but then again, why should I have to repair a bike with 3200 miles on it when I never ride it hard.  (I'm a wimp on the bike...)
jakem696

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 04:08:05 PM »

Well,  for sure my bike is in need of a stator and a friends bike was replaced a couple weeks ago. The other bike that was at the shop was experiencing similar symptoms like battery drained during regular ride. So as far as I know, there's 3 Monster 696  that had their stator gone bad. Maybe more. I need to Ask GP motorcycle in San Digo if there was more other than what I know.

09 Dark M696
    Tail chop
    Full Termis exhaust Kit
    14t front
    CRG Bar end mirror
    Woodcraft Rear set
    Belly Pan
88 Honda VFR400R(NC24)
90 Honda VFR750R(RC30)
Dr. Stylo

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »

Just got the bike back home this morning....working just fine. I am out of my 24 month warranty by 58 days, 44 days from when I dropped it off.  DNA denied it on that issue alone, but the dealership is trying again.  We will see.

At least I don't have to worry about pushing the bike home now...I hope.

H-2 CHARLIE

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 09:38:05 AM »

charlie here with a charging issue 2001 750 duc ...battery goes low after 20-25 min of riding so i guees i will check if i have power AC  going into the reg/rec and check if the is DC comming out to start ...im reading the wires comming off the stator  melt  and will  ground out .
H-2 CHARLIE

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 10:08:13 PM »

test showed my stator is bad and ducati was 465 bones but i got a new one for 140 bucks thru RICKS motrorsports ..cant wait to  put the pregnant dog back together / easy fix
danaid

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 11:23:42 PM »

Is your battery going dead or flashing any codes? At about the same milage the voltage regulator/ rectifier went out on my 696 and I replaced it for about $135.
 Reading thru the shop manual, the diagnosis process began with the battery (which I had checked out as good) next was the regulator. Doing several searches online, it seemed that regulators seem to go out more often than stators do, so I rolled the dice and purchased a regulator thinking that if I took my bike to the Dealer, and it was the regulator, I would have to pay for diagnostic fees in addition to the part price.

11' 1198SP  Black
09' 1100S    Red
09'     696.   Red   first Ducati (sold)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: