Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 06:54:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Bit Rattled...  (Read 9792 times)
ro-monster

mmmmonsterz...

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 12:48:26 AM »

Don't even bother trying to learn to paddle-walk the bike while sitting on it, at least not at first. It doesn't work for us shorties. (After years of practice, I can do it one-footed, but it's ridiculously laborious unless gravity is in your favor, so my normal method is to get off and walk it.) Spend some time just practicing holding the bike up and feeling the weight as you move it side to side, then walk it around a little. Keeping your weight on your toes might help you feel more balanced. I also like to keep a hand on the front brake lever so I can slow or stop the bike easily. It's harder than it looks to walk a bike, especially if you're small, so don't feel bad for taking a while to master the technique.

If I am walking the bike forward and have to go up even the smallest incline, I keep it in first gear with the engine running and feather the clutch to keep the speed to a walking pace. That's probably a little much to cope with as a complete beginner but it'll be useful to know later on.

As for dropping your bike, I dropped mine dozens of times. After over 12 years, I still do it occasionally. (Yes, I am a klutz!) One thing that will make you more stable when you are sitting on the bike, but is sort of counter-intuitive, is to put only one foot down solidly rather than trying to tiptoe the bike on both sides. You will either have to slide over to one side of the seat or lean the bike a tiny bit.

For getting on and off the bike, you might want to try one of the methods I posted in the short riders FAQ.

1998 M900
1996 Suzuki DR650
bigiain
Flounder-Administrator

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 01:32:48 AM »

Have you seen this:

http://www.nebcom.com/noemi/moto/sbl.faq.html

from these guys:

http://www.ki.org/sbl/

big

TiNi
Post Whore

'05 620ie

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 03:10:50 AM »

i've never seen that, thanks bigiain  waytogo
I liked this quote...
"Just accept that your heels will never, ever touch the ground and will never be part of your riding. Then learn to live with it from there."
Statler
Flounder-Administrator

Gravel rashed froo froo white is the fastest color

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 05:43:50 AM »

walking the bike is just like riding it in that it takes practice.   It's boring and feels kind of silly, but take an hour a week, have him hang out with a beer to watch/help, and walk the bike out of the garage, turn it around, walk back in, walk it backwards, walk it uphill, etc.etc.etc.

My RS is high enough (or I'm low enough) that I can just barely tippy toe so no on-bike maneuvering for me.

It's still buy a flounder a drink month
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 06:47:55 AM »

Thanks big, I had also posted those links in our Short Rider FAQ.

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
Shortie
Do not underestimate the power of stupid.

No longer hangin_biposto! :D

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 07:17:32 AM »

Thanks for the additional tips guys; I need to go back and finish reading through the short rider FAQ as I haven't had a chance to explore all the links. I think the fact that I dropped it twice in such a short period of time was part of what had me stirred up. I know it will happen again. And again and again.

I'm used to riding mountain bikes - little tinfoil bikes compared to the 400!  laughingdp

I always have my hand on the front brake when I'm moving it, or sitting on it, or holding it up so it doesn't get away from me. I never try to walk the bike around when I'm on it; I don't know what posessed me to try the other night but it was stupid and I knew better. It was the sloppy dismount that bit me in the ass. I didn't wait for the bike to settle before swinging my right leg off.

The way the pegs on my bike are set up, it is difficult to swing the sidestand down from the seated position. I will have to practice this so I'm not wiggling all over the place to get it down before I dismount.

My bike looks so small parked next to T's monster, and I'm so small next to my bike. I'll have to make him snap a pic so you can all see how ridiculously tiny I am  cheeky

Street - 1991 GSF 400 Bandit
Dirt - 1972 Chaparral ST80

Welcome to cats  Cool

So cute and small.

Such terrible things come out of them  Lips Sealed

www.pbase.com/mcharest
hypurone
Something Wicked This Way Comes!

Life is not AROUND the corner, Life IS the corner!

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 09:26:59 AM »

Another thing that bugs me about the situation is that Tony hasn't let me try to pick the bike back up by myself. With 4 carbs, the thing barfs gas all over the place when it's on its side. He always gets the bike back up in a hurry because he doesn't want gas all over the driveway or doesn't want the engine to flood. I can understand this, but I really wish he would just let me try and we can deal with the gas issue after the fact if necessary. If I knew that I could pick it back up by myself, it would give me some confidence and dropping it wouldn't feel like such a big deal. Boys just don't get it sometimes.

Turn the gas off and run the bike til the carbs run dry. Then you can take your time after it is "gently" laid over, to practice picking it up. Watch your technique and do not use your back AT ALL. All legs.

'07 S4RS "Testatretta" (In the FASTER color)
I'm not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example!
Shortie

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 10:19:41 AM »

Turn the gas off and run the bike til the carbs run dry. Then you can take your time after it is "gently" laid over, to practice picking it up. Watch your technique and do not use your back AT ALL. All legs.

Doh, I don't know why I hadn't thought of that before. We've done it to clean fouled plugs; no reason why we couldn't do it so I could practice picking it up off its side. Before I even had my own bike I read up on the proper way to lift a fallen bike... even in a miniskirt  Wink But I'd rather be able to practice and get it down before having to do it in a stressful situation... like with people watching  laughingdp

Welcome to cats  Cool

So cute and small.

www.pbase.com/mcharest
m0t0g0th

.:GoneFeral:.

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 10:26:12 AM »

The way the pegs on my bike are set up, it is difficult to swing the sidestand down from the seated position.

WORD.
one of my motorcycle nightmares is mounting or dismounting and hacking off my leg at the calf with the razor sharp footpegs.
it's like they're designed to slice through leathers and boots.. i say this and yet no damage to the rocket pants or bootsides yet, wacky perceptions.

A red traffic light means:
  • Incoming missiles
  • Stop
  • You win! Speed through the intersection to claim your reward!
red baron

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 09:44:49 AM »

... hang in there  waytogo

pun intended?

laughingdp

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
TiNi
Post Whore

'05 620ie

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 04:57:23 AM »

pun intended?

laughingdp

Grin

i finally met biposto over the weekend,
and she is as small as she says she is...
in fact i think someone else suggested a pocket bike for her  laughingdp

but i still think she's going to be fine... practice, practice, practice  Smiley
good luck, and keep us updated on your progress!

Shortie

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 05:09:46 AM »

I told you I was micro!

I still haven't received a date for the MSF. I've called a couple of times but no one seems to feel the need to get back to me. I'm tempted to send an email but I don't really want to bug them too much as I'm sure they have a pile of applications due to gas being what it is. ($47 for a tad over 11 gallons last night, in my little VW 2.0. Angry)

I went online and found that two of the three weekends I asked for are showing up as full. The last weekend I picked still appears to be open. WTF!?

I called my credit union to see if the $200 money order I sent for deposit had been processed. And it has. So they definitely have my money, which means they definitely got my application.

I'm dying to know if I got into one of those weekends showing full! July is closing in on us at a pretty rapid clip- the first weekend I asked to attend is only 3 weeks away!

Welcome to cats  Cool

So cute and small.

www.pbase.com/mcharest
Kyna

put put put

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 05:33:09 AM »

I was really frustrated by how long it took them to let me know i got into my MSF class as well.  I found out two weeks before the class, and only because I called several times.  It's frustrating but I think you'll find the class worth it.  I'm at the halfway point today (I take the written portion of the test tonight.)  My instructors are great and very very patient.  Plus, if you're lucky one of the instructors might be a shorter rider who can give you first hand tips!  Good Luck.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -Robert J. Hanlon
Shortie

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 05:43:03 AM »

I was really frustrated by how long it took them to let me know i got into my MSF class as well.  I found out two weeks before the class, and only because I called several times.  It's frustrating but I think you'll find the class worth it.  I'm at the halfway point today (I take the written portion of the test tonight.)  My instructors are great and very very patient.  Plus, if you're lucky one of the instructors might be a shorter rider who can give you first hand tips!  Good Luck.

Thanks for the reassurance Kyna. Knowing that you'll be just as new to it all is really comforting. Good luck on your test tonight!! I know the class I signed up for takes only a very small number of students at a time so I'm hoping that helps with my nerves.

I'm the type of person to worry about things so maybe it would be better getting my date close to the actual class; less time for me to obsess over it and get myself all nerved up.

Welcome to cats  Cool

So cute and small.

www.pbase.com/mcharest
dolci

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 05:48:52 AM »

Around here the procedure to sign up is crazy.  They open the classes for June-August in April.  The lines start at 5 a.m. to open the doors at 7 a.m. and you start signing up.  They always fill up.  BUT - if you show up the first day of the class, you may get lucky.  If you aren't in class when it begins,  they start taking people that have shown up. 

they say you can take the chance and mail in your registration but they can't guarantee anything.

If they have cashed your check, however, I would guarantee you're in there somewhere.  I'm like you, I would be obsessing about it. 

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing; however, they can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

2005 620ie
1998 GS500E - gone
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: