Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

July 17, 2024, 09:21:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To catch a kitten.  (Read 7099 times)
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 06:34:03 PM »

put the food/milk/water in the carrier, along with a towel or some other soft item. he will become used to it, and may actually end up sleeping there.

One word of advice: don't be putting your face next to the door to the carrier when you go to change the food in there. After dark. In a woodsy neighborhood full of big-ass raccoons. Don't ask me how I know.

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 08:04:19 PM »

lol... wow. this thread is getting way more attention than i thought it would!
anyway, got home from work today... sure enough... his little black and white head is poking out from under our front porch.
he's found a hole to call home under there...

i'll put the cat carrier away tomorrow... i figured it was a bad idea.
i'm just going to keep feeding him. eventually he wont fit in that hole anymore, and he'll have to get used to me if he wants that free grub!

i'll try and grab a pic of him. but he sees, smells or hears anything coming and he's in that damn hole.

i had to laugh. i found my self playing cat and mouse... only the cat was the mouse... irony, i loves it.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
corey
Is that a throttle tube in your pocket? Or just your

'06 Tang/Black S2R800

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 04:42:40 AM »

still there!
i put a small (clean) sock out near the food to get him used to my scent. got home yesterday from work and he was literally rolling around in the dirt wrestling with this sock.

put a t-shirt out this morning, it's supposed to storm pretty bad so i hope he's alright.

it's a lousy, out of focus cell phone pic, but you can see him make the beast with two backsing that sock up pretty good.

When all the land lays in ruin... And burnination has forsaken the countryside... Only one guy will remain... My money's on...
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 08:45:34 AM »

I put an old, folded bathroom rug under the edge of the deck thinking my stray might use it for a bed.

He just lays next to it.  Tongue Still not interested in getting near me.

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
sugarcrook

Facultative Carnivore

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 10:22:08 AM »

Maybe call your local vet, or cat-specific vet, for advice on how to gain the cat's confidence.  Is your ultimate goal to bring him inside? 

2013 BMW R1200R
2008 BMW K1200GT (Traded)
2007 Ducati Monster 695 (Sold)
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 10:23:54 AM »

I want mine to be an outdoor-living, rodent-killing machine. Not sure about the OP.  Wink

I have too many indoor kittehs.

I tend to regard most of humanity as little more than walking talking dilated sphincters. - Rat
Grappa

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 11:29:45 AM »

I love cats, have two.  If you want to adopt a cat, or let it adopt you, that's cool.  But if you feed a stray that isn't fixed, then the stray will quickly make more strays to feed.  So IMO, catch it, fix it, release it back and continue to feed it. 

Ahh... but the servant waits, while the master baits.

Sometimes Aloha means Goodbye.
sugarcrook

Facultative Carnivore

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 11:45:34 AM »

I agree with that.  Also get the animal a full set of shots.  When I lived in Chicago, I could get the whole "starter kit" for about $35/cat from a subsidized service.  However, that experience was very traumatic for my cats and I'd pay full price if I had to do it again. 

2013 BMW R1200R
2008 BMW K1200GT (Traded)
2007 Ducati Monster 695 (Sold)
Punx Clever
It never got strange enough for my

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 12:51:44 PM »

Catch him just like any other small critter:

A raccoon trap!  Added benefit of possibly catching a raccoon.

2008 S2R 1000 - Archangel

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.  - HST
Bick
Post Whore

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 01:43:25 PM »

Maybe call your local Chinese Resteraunt for advice on how to gain the cat's confidence.  Is your ultimate goal to stir fry? 

Dude...  That's just...

It's all in the grind, Sizemore. Can't be too fine, can't be too coarse. This, my friend, is a science. I mean you're looking at the guy that believed all the commercials. You know, about the "be all you can be." I made coffee through Desert Storm. I made coffee through Panama while everyone else got to fight, got to be a Ranger.

* A man can never have too much whiskey, too many books, or too much ammunition *
lethe
Post Whore

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 01:46:02 PM »

Dude...  That's just...

potentially tasty, like mini-veal  cheeky

'05 Monster 620
'86 FZ600
'05 KTM SMC 625
Oldfisti
Some call it a sub, dagwood, hoagie or footlong. I just call it my...

My mom says I'm a catch.

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2011, 02:01:12 PM »

potentially tasty, like mini-veal  cheeky

You guys are disgusting.

And that's why I love this place so much!!

It's like I keep saying:  Those who would sacrifice a free range session for a giant beer, deserve neither free range time nor a giant beer.
i have had guys reach back and grab my crotch in an attempt to get around me. i'll either blow in their ear or ask them politely to let go of my wang.
fastwin
She pointed and laughed at my

tap, rack, bang

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2011, 02:38:09 PM »

Catch him just like any other small critter:

A raccoon trap!  Added benefit of possibly catching a raccoon.

I was thinking about a Have-A-Heart trap like that.

But I also agree with others. I wouldn't trap it. What for? My wife's best friend is a huge cat person (I'm not... they remind me of my ex-wife bang head) and has several indoor cats. When she and her hubby bought their house it came with a feral cat. The previous owners put out food and water for it and my wife's friend has continued the tradition. It just adopted that house regardless of who lives there. After five years of trying to pet it she still never has. No one has ever gotten close enough to touch it. Even though it sort of trusts them and will let them get close and roll on the ground and meow at them like it's all friendly and wants to be petted. But oh no, ain't gonna happen. They're just weird that way. The cat the OP talked about may be the same way.

I plan to list the Federal Gov't. as a dependent on my next 1040 tax filing!

I have flying honey badgers and I'm not afraid to use them!

The fact that flame throwers exist is proof that someone somewhere said "I'd sure like to set those people over there on fire but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

CONFIDENCE: the feeling you have right before you understand the situation.
Speedbag
And the Intrepid

Since 2004!

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2011, 03:27:38 PM »

^ Kind of what I hope for, really.

A small feline version of me.  Smiley

Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2011, 06:58:25 PM »

Many years ago we adopted two 8 month old cats, a brother and sister.  The boy tamed rather easily, the girl never let us pet her or pick her up even though she lost fear of us.  The vet said females are much more difficult.

Anyway, back to Checkers.  Unless you plan on taking the cat in as a pet I would do little to tame it.  Street cats should fear humans, there are some sick ones out there.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: