Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 11:21:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Austin F1 NOT a done deal ..........yet  (Read 3052 times)
Mhanis

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 12:10:29 PM »

The latest from Austin via Autoweek:

By ALAN PEASE on 6/23/2011

The status of the 2012 Formula One U.S. Grand Prix in Austin, Texas, remains up in the air after the Austin City Council on Thursday decided to postpone its vote on whether to endorse the event.

The Austin race needs the city's backing to be eligible to receive $25 million from the Texas Major Events Trust Fund. The money would be used to pay the fee that Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone plans to charge the race's promoters to host the U.S. Grand Prix. The vote is now scheduled to take place on June 29 in a special session.

Earlier on Thursday, proponents and opponents of public funding for the Formula One race gathered their supporting forces into what quickly became a packed City Council chamber.

Media desks in the front of the room, normally empty, were completely full. Television cameras moved around the perimeter of the room in an attempt to capture the crowd.

All visitor seats inside the council chambers were also full as the standing-room-only crowd quickly filled the room to capacity, triggering an order by the fire marshal to allow no one else into the room. Mayor Lee Leffingwell invited those who couldn't get into the room to watch the proceedings on TV monitors in an adjacent hallway.

Early Thursday morning, F1 supporters began passing out white hats bearing the “Formula 1 United States, Austin, TX” logo, while opponents of public funding handed out reprints of AutoWeek editorial director Dutch Mandel's June 22 online column, "An Open Letter to the Austin, Texas, City Council and the citizens of that fair city."

Several speakers addressed the council to say that they had started small businesses based on Formula One coming to Austin and were hiring employees. Another individual showed a brief film clip shot recently at the 2011 Montreal Grand Prix that showed Canadian supporters in a bar cheering the idea of the 2012 Austin Grand Prix. Richard Suttle, attorney for the F1 project, said that since the announcement of F1 coming to Austin, more than 7 million articles have been written about Austin.

Susan Moffat, an Austin resident, former Austin Chronicle journalist and a vocal opponent of Formula One to date, asked the council to postpone any decision until a better review can be conducted. She asked for outside counsel knowledgeable in racing contracts to be hired. Moffat cited Mandel's piece, especially the “run away” quote. She questioned the city's long-term responsibilities under the contract should the contract not be fulfilled for the entire 10 years.

At issue: Under the Texas Major Events Trust Fund legislation, without the endorsement of either the City of Austin or Travis County, the race promoters cannot access the $25 million in state funding.

Moffat, who spoke at length in opposition to state funds being used, said in her closing statement that, “Formula One would be welcome in Austin, provided they had an adequate business plan that did not require public funding.”

Once again, by the end of the hearing, council members still appeared confused as they tried to sort out the legal issues in front of a packed hearing room. At times, it appeared that the council and the city legal department were debating each other regarding the contract. The City Council appeared uncomfortable with the terms as written and was still attempting desperately to rewrite them as the hearing went along.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110623/F1/110629927#ixzz1QE522Gk5

I ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat.

Pete Townshend

2009 M1100 68,000+ miles- and climbing
2015 Suzuki TU250X 13,000+ miles
Drjones

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 12:27:46 PM »

the Libertarian in me says no government money should be used to finance the private track, but the race fan in me says Austin and Texas would recoup that 25 mil in spades.  One also has to consider what a track of this caliber could/will bring along with F1.  Indycar, Rolex Sports Car series, ALMS, WSBK, MotoGP, AMA Superbike, . . .  I think all of the major road racing series would be foaming at the mouth to run there.

"Live like no one else now, so that you can live like no one else tomorrow."

"Wealth is more often the result of a lifestyle of hard work, perseverance, planning, and, most of all, self discipline.”

"Helping poor and suffering people is compassion. Voting for our government to use guns to give money to help poor and suffering people is immoral self-righteous bullying laziness."
muskrat

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 04:52:34 PM »

Pansies boo

Can we thin the gene pool? 

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 06:07:02 PM »

the Libertarian in me says no government money should be used to finance the private track, but the race fan in me says Austin and Texas would recoup that 25 mil in spades.  One also has to consider what a track of this caliber could/will bring along with F1.  Indycar, Rolex Sports Car series, ALMS, WSBK, MotoGP, AMA Superbike, . . .  I think all of the major road racing series would be foaming at the mouth to run there.

+ eleventy-billion   Evil
Drjones

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 02:13:07 PM »

and on that note, V8 Supercar series just signed a 5 year deal to race at COTA starting in 2013  Evil

http://assets.circuitoftheamericas.com/cota_press/assets/news/110630/CoTA_V8_Supercars_Release_063011.pdf

Also, the city council gave their approval of the track.

http://assets.circuitoftheamericas.com/cota_press/assets/news/110629/CoTA_Austin_Council_Decision_062911.pdf
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 02:20:57 PM by Drjones » Logged

"Live like no one else now, so that you can live like no one else tomorrow."

"Wealth is more often the result of a lifestyle of hard work, perseverance, planning, and, most of all, self discipline.”

"Helping poor and suffering people is compassion. Voting for our government to use guns to give money to help poor and suffering people is immoral self-righteous bullying laziness."
muskrat

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 02:27:03 PM »

applause applause applause applause applause applause

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Mhanis

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 03:34:27 PM »

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete Townshend

Cher
Mostly Harmless

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 04:23:31 PM »

Hallelujah!  Can I get an Amen!
CajunR

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2011, 06:31:44 AM »

chug chug chug chug

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
Mhanis

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 12:11:59 PM »

From Autoweek:

Published on 7/11/2011

According to the Austin American-Statesman, a District Court judge on Friday granted a plaintiffs' request to withdraw a lawsuit related to the U.S. Grand Prix scheduled to take place outside of the Austin city limits in June 2012.

Three residents on June 22 sued Texas state comptroller Susan Combs, claiming that she did not have the authority to authorize a $25 million payment to support the Formula One race.

According to the newspaper, "Bill Aleshire, the lawyer who filed the suit, said Friday that he lacked evidence at this time to move forward. . . . The lawsuit can be refiled up until Combs writes a check to F1 organizers."

Combs has promised to release the money by the end of July.

"As the facts change or if we're able to get additional information before Combs spends that money, we can ask the judge to prevent it," Aleshire told the Austin American-Statesman.

A spokesperson for Combs said that the comptroller "has followed the law as it is laid out in statute and administrative rules, and we are pleased with dismissal of the lawsuit."

However, Aleshire told the paper that his clients still want to see the comptroller's office's "estimates of the tax and economic impact of the race," and that they could refile their suit if the results do not satisfy them.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110711/F1/110719977#ixzz1RvKsaT6b

Mark

Pete Townshend

muskrat

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 01:34:11 PM »

OMG
What's wrong with these idiots?

2015 MTS 1200
09 Electra Glide
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print