Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

August 17, 2024, 06:22:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the DMF

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attn: Electronic wizards, need help sourcing a switch  (Read 1730 times)
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« on: July 13, 2011, 09:43:44 AM »

Here's what comes up when I google the part number on the switch body in conjunction with "crouzet"

http://www.crouzet.com/english/catalog/microswitches-sealed-83139-standard-831390-Part%20number-83139003.htm

This appears to be what I need but it seems to be unobtanium.  Digi-Key can't get it.  It seems more and more like Crouzet is the only source.

This is a limit switch for my bar feeder (shuts off the hydraulics when tripped) I talked to LNS (maker of said bar feeder) and the switch is like $500 from them.

I think it might be easier to just find a switch that has the same properties and make it fit.  However, I'm not sure how to go about doing this.  This is outside my range at the moment.  I've been googling for an hour or so now and not really coming up with anything useful.  I may not have the right search terms, though.

I need a push plunger type switch that's good for 5A, 250V with 4 leads (marked 3 1 2 4 on the housing), double break changover switch.  When the plunger is pushed, 3 & 4 connect and 1 & 2 disconnect.

Can any of you help me out?

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 11:08:20 AM »

Is there any reason why you couldn't use a single break changeover switch (like the front brake light switch on your Duc)  and combine wires?  Never mind.  There probably is.

Anyway:
http://www.micro-switch.net/micro_switch-products.html
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/switch.htm (maybe)
Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 11:12:54 AM »

I don't think I could combine wires as this is, essentially, and normally open & a normally closed switch combined into one.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 11:53:05 AM »

I am not sure what double break means - to me it means it has 2 sets of contacts for each pole, but that seems over kill for a switch...

I am thinking what you mean is a double pole.  You could have double pole single throw, with 1 NO and 1 NC (DPST-NO/NC), but that is probably hard to find. 

You could use a double throw double throw (DPDT), and then you can have either pole NC or NO, which would work for your application. 

There are a lot of options for DPDT 5A 250V, just look at mcmaster part 7765K3 for example (10A @250V AC), then you would have to fit it in.

I am not sure why your bar feeder used such a fancy IEC switch - does it need to be liquid proof or safety rated?

mitt

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 12:03:48 PM »

It's IP67 rated.

Click on the link I posted, then on "see data sheet (pdf)"

At the bottom of page 4 is an internal diagram of what it does.  Is that the same as DPDT?

mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 12:15:31 PM »

It's IP67 rated.

Click on the link I posted, then on "see data sheet (pdf)"

At the bottom of page 4 is an internal diagram of what it does.  Is that the same as DPDT?

The diagram shows a double pole (2 circuits), single throw - the contacts for each pole only have 1 position that is closed, one circuit is NO and one is NC.

A double throw you could have either circuit NO or NC, or both NO or both NC.

I did some googleing and found a couple other options that are close to what you need

honeywell makes some but I didn't find any for sale online???
http://sensing.honeywell.com/index.cfm?ci_id=140301&la_id=1&pr_id=83643

ebay first result - looks close to the right specs
http://cgi.ebay.com/HONEYWELL-Micro-Switch-91MCE2-P1-/120732775069#vi-content

mitt
Flounder-Administrator

2003 M1000s

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 12:29:24 PM »

newark has a few cruzet IP67 switches also

http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=201267+100381+101958&No=0&getResults=true&appliedparametrics=true&locale=en_US&divisionLocale=en_US&catalogId=&prevNValues=201267&filtersHidden=false&appliedHidden=false&originalQueryURL=%2Fjsp%2Fsearch%2Fbrowse.jsp%3FN%3D201267%26No%3D0%26getResults%3Dtrue%26appliedparametrics%3Dtrue%26locale%3Den_US%26divisionLocale%3Den_US%26catalogId%3D%26prevNValues%3D201267

sno_duc

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 04:16:57 PM »

Do you have a Haas Automation center near you?
The limit switch you have described sound exactly like what Haas uses on all their CNCs.
The really nice thing is all the switches are indentical exept for the lead length, so back when I worked on them I always kept one of the 6 footers in my toolbox.(can always coil up and zip tie extra, damn hard to stretch one another foot)

A conclusion is the place you got tired of thinking
Punx Clever
It never got strange enough for my

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 06:47:01 PM »

You could use a cheaper switch and a relay that is rated for the loads you are talking about...

2008 S2R 1000 - Archangel

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.  - HST
sno_duc

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 09:58:33 PM »

You could use a cheaper switch and a relay that is rated for the loads you are talking about...
The loads are very light (input to an analog card), CNC rated switches have O-rings to seal out coolant and metal fines.

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 07:36:50 AM »

Do you have a Haas Automation center near you?
The limit switch you have described sound exactly like what Haas uses on all their CNCs.
The really nice thing is all the switches are indentical exept for the lead length, so back when I worked on them I always kept one of the 6 footers in my toolbox.(can always coil up and zip tie extra, damn hard to stretch one another foot)

Not a bad idea.  There is a Haas distributor about an hour away.

Did those switches look like this?

sno_duc

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 08:01:19 AM »

Close, the plunger has a roller, and the mounting holes are diagonal.
You can possibly drill and tap new holes, if the Haas switch is priced better.
The switch on machining center's tool changer would gum up with dryed coolant, blasting it with Kroil / WD-40 and exercising the plunger would free it up for  another 6 - 8 weeks.

Monsterlover
Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 08:22:36 AM »

Update***

I was just reading the latest posts in this thread and got to thinking. . .

Switches like this are designed to cycle gazillions of times and not fail.

I got out the meter and was able to test the switch (broken insulation on all four leads)

It functions correctly!

I went back to the control box and started testing there as well.  3&4 should be open and 1&2 closed while the switch is at rest.  It's actually the opposite.  

I take it someone wired this backwards.  1&4 go to the same terminal.  I think if i switch 2&3 it might work. . .

I don't know if it was my guys that wired this up (I think it was already wired when I bought the unit) or what made them think the switch was bad.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: