Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 28, 2024, 01:00:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: slab riding  (Read 3760 times)
zedsaid

« on: June 17, 2008, 10:29:33 AM »

Tried a search and didn't really come up with anything...

New to riding, and gonna be riding in Los Angeles once i pick up my 696...

I'll "introduce" myself to the board then Wink

In the meantime, i'm going to be riding on some of the worst roads in the country not only traffic-wise, but also in state of disrepair.

Since deciding to buy a bike, i've been paying a lot of attention to said roads... noticing the potholes i'd otherwise pregnant dog-and-forget-about... and i was wondering if there's any advice to be had about said roads...

I'm currious about riding on the cement slab highways... how careful do you need to be about the seams, i don't do the 405 often.. but there are a lot of times that the lanes don't actually follow the slabs... meaning a lot of riding over angled seams (some of which aren't very evenly leveled)...

and if it's a choice between poorly filled pothole patches on a strip of asphalt or merging over one of those godawful seams (assuming that's actually an issue) what line do you take?  (i'm thinking of the 170 merge w/ the 5 north)

These roads are tore up...

ps... one other curiosity i'd like to know before finding out... do you get that frequency build on a bike that you often get in a car (or more noticeably, truck)?  you know where at certain speeds the car ends up feeling like you're riding over waves..?

thanks for helping a noob.

*edited which onramp i was thinking of, because i was previously thinking of the wrong onramp*
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 09:25:21 AM by zedsaid » Logged

Red 696- You can call her Isabella.
CDawg

S4RS

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 10:35:12 AM »

I've only driven in LA so I'll let someone with FHE answer.
You may also want to post this question at the Southern California section of the DMF:
http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?board=21.0
somegirl
crazy bike girl

aka msincredible

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 11:14:47 AM »

New to riding, and gonna be riding in Los Angeles once i pick up my 696...

I'll "introduce" myself to the board then Wink

Welcome! Smiley

I haven't ridden (only driven) in SoCal but I'm guessing the road surface is not that different to some places in NorCal where I regularly ride.  101 is terrible in some spots, especially in between lanes where I find myself in heavy traffic.

I'm currious about riding on the cement slab highways... how careful do you need to be about the seams, i don't do the 405 often.. but there are a lot of times that the lanes don't actually follow the slabs... meaning a lot of riding over angled seams (some of which aren't very evenly leveled)...

Well, if you are riding at an angle to the seam, it's not too bad, but I wouldn't recommend riding along the seam.  David Hough has a nice description and pictures in his Proficient Motorcycling book.

ps... one other curiosity i'd like to know before finding out... do you get that frequency build on a bike that you often get in a car (or more noticeably, truck)?  you know where at certain speeds the car ends up feeling like you're riding over waves..?

No, it doesn't feel like waves.  It's much worse on the bike, it feels like you are riding on a pogo stick. Tongue

Good luck, keep the rubber side down. waytogo

Need help posting pictures?  Check out the photo FAQ.
Lord_Bragle

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 11:27:37 AM »

What I remember about riding on a motorway years ago when I was a kid and on a Jap 250 stroker was shear boredom, what I find now while riding my Ducati S2R on similar roads (and I’m much older now as well) is “pain” my arms ache after a few minits holding on to the bars going more than 80 for extended periods, I don’t know if its me or the bike, I hope its me and that a change of bike to something less extreme will fix it for me, like a Multiestrada maybe.
sbrguy

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 11:49:30 AM »

i very infrequently go on the 101 and the 405 where youa re speaking about, but i normally ride on the 101 much more north near ventura.

the thing i notice is that you really have to be aware of where you are, cliche i know. but basically when you are on the 405 the road as you say is crap, with all the cement and pavement patches, the best you can do is try to plan a little bit ahead and try not to ride directly over the seams, and do the normal things like try to angle against the seams as is taught. its not alwasy possisible but you try to do that.  if you are already familiar with the raods start paying attention now and you can get an idea of wher the really bad sections are so that you can prepare for them, if you have to and its a ramp of sorts, sometimes you can just slow down and take it a little easier but that is up to you.

i know the where i am on the 101 i have a good idea of the good and bad parts of it bc i ride on them frequently so i plan ahead, i have a feeling that this sort of ction would probably help you out also.

good luck.
triangleforge
I'm just a guy. I'm no

2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 12:44:54 PM »

Good advice above, and the one thing I'd add is that when the pavement's lousy I will leave even more room than usual between me & the vehicle in front of me. That gives me a much better look at the road surface and more time to do something about it. Even more important as a new rider.

Of course, by leaving adequate space in front, you'll probably get more than your share of SoCal drivers who will see daylight and shove their way in front of you, which means slowing down a touch so you're not following THEM too closely. It's kinda frustrating, but better than following too close and having a yawning pothole suddenly appear out from under the pickup truck in front of you with nowhere to go.

By hammer and hand all arts do stand.
2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon
DY

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 12:58:05 PM »

Your 696 should handle the grooves in the freeway, no problem.  My 250 would do a little headshake every time i hit one of those angled grooves(first time it happened was really unnerving), but in the 620 i dont notice anything. 

I'm worried more about road debris when I'm riding the LA freeways.  On top of all the potholes, I've avoided shredded tires, ladders, 2X4's, plywood sheet... all within the last month or so.  Just keep your eyes open, and don't tailgate without knowing whats in front of the car you're following.
red baron

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 07:25:54 PM »

shredded tires, ladders,

Ahhh, the dreaded road gator and the mandatory ladder. laughingdp

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations... James Madison
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: