Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

April 27, 2024, 07:15:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tapatalk users...click me

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stretching valve check from 18K to 24K? (620)  (Read 898 times)
dark_duc

2008 S4RS Tricolore

« on: April 06, 2012, 04:54:49 PM »

Looking for some opinions.  I had my 12K mile service done about this time last year.  The local dealer said that the valves didn't need any adjustment.  They hold a tighter tolerance than Ducati recommends (I believe within .005") so it kind of surprised them that no adjustment were needed.  I told them I would see them at 18K for the next check and the owner mentioned that I would be fine going to 20K or 21K.  I am currently sitting at 20K and find myself in a bit of a dilemma.  Money is pretty tight right now and I am considering waiting to do the valves until the 24K belt change.  My bike is my primary transportation and will be hitting 24K probably by July/August.  The thought of two services in 4 months makes me cringe.  Any opinions on this?  Are there any obvious signs that they need adjusted?  I obviously don't want to damage anything so if this is too big of risk I won't take it.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 05:04:47 PM »

I think you have a plan with merit. Grin

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

cobrajet

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 05:36:56 PM »

I worry about the belts more than I do the valve adjustment. When I check mine after 6k of commuting they need to be tightened. This weekend is belt time again!
He Man
Post Whore

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 09:55:17 PM »

Belts can last longer, rarely do they fail prematurely or fail right when u hit 12k/2 years. There's usually many more factors that affect a belts failure than those two numbers alone. My belts are definitely more than 12,000 miles. more like 18k i think. and its just about 2 years. ill change em if i get around to it. but im not worried.

Valves on the other hand, if you whomp on your motor a lot, then its likely that the valves are out of spec. Most of the times the first few service intervals you will need to adjust the valves, later on they dont need much adjustemnt because the half rings get work hardened and they stay in place (its mainly the deformation of the half rings that make the valves need adjustments).

for the record my last valve adjustment was 18k, i skiped the 24k and just did the last service at 32k. but im a bit of an extreme example since i also have MBP collets in. around 28k, the bike was running ehhh. after my 32k valve adjustment and TB Sync, the bike is BUTTAHHHH SMOOOTH!!!

2006 Ducati S2R1100 Yea.... stunttin like my daddy CHROMED OUT 1100!!!!

Check out my Latest Video! 05/13/2017 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4xSA7KzEzU
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 11:05:47 PM »

Once the engine is broken in valve clearance doesn't change much.  The recommended interval for this, or any maintenance/check procedure is ideally well short of when an expected problem will happen.  A little to loose on the valves you may loose some performance and could possibly shatter a split ring or two, neither a big problem since the ring can't go anywhere. Too tight can cause damage.  Can you make it to 24?  Probably.  Should you?  Risk assessment is your choice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: