Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 14, 2024, 09:10:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You're too stupid to... own a diesel small truck  (Read 252413 times)
Triple J
« Reply #255 on: June 21, 2013, 09:49:30 AM »

Not just us though.  Most lands on Earth have mid-sized fuel efficient diesel utes available from most manufacturers.  My theory is that its because we in the rest of the world have to pay money for the fuel, whereas in the US since it's virtually given away free there's no great incentive to be frugal with it Evil.

More to do with California's CARB rules from what I understand.

The manufacturers know people want them here. When I bought my truck I asked the Nissan dealer if there were any plans to bring the Navaro (Nissan's version of the Helix) over to the US. He said he wishes...gets asked all the time, and they've let Nissan know a lot that they want them. He thought they'd sell a ton of them.
JohnEE
Why not

« Reply #256 on: June 21, 2013, 10:18:52 AM »

We wish for more fuel efficient engines, everybody else wishes they had our gas prices. Just a tad ironic.

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #257 on: June 22, 2013, 10:41:53 PM »

The current generation double-cab long bed Toyota HiLux with 2.5L diesel in the UK gets almost 39 MPG combined.  The 3.0 version gets 36 mpg combined. 

The 2.5L version gets 140 hp / 343 ft lbs torque and 0-60 in 12 seconds.  It's exactly what we need in the US for a small truck.  If Toyota sold this version, Ford would go bankrupt when their F150 sales tanks.

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/generic_editorial.jsp?navRoot=toyota_1024_root&fullwidth=true&noLeftMenu=true&forceText=%3Cnone%3E&edname=CC2-Hilux-specification&zone=Zone+NG+Hilux&id=CC2-Hilux-specification

It's not a true "small truck", but it's smaller than the American-spec Toyota Tacoma.

Utter nonsense and I expect better from you. They use kilometers in the UK-they don't get MPG. Sheesh  Roll Eyes

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #258 on: June 23, 2013, 02:25:10 AM »

Utter nonsense and I expect better from you. They use kilometers in the UK-they don't get MPG. Sheesh  Roll Eyes
I wonder who really it is speaking utter nonsense? 

In the UK they use miles.

The same miles containing the same utterly nonsensical 1760 yards as you persist with in the USA.

Their utterly nonsensical gallons however get more utterly nonsensical miles than your utterly nonsensical gallons due to utterly nonsensical gallon non-standardisation.

Soooooo... shall you be eating your utter nonsense now or will you be doing it later?  Grin

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
Howie
Post Whore

« Reply #259 on: June 23, 2013, 03:22:51 AM »

popcorn
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #260 on: June 23, 2013, 04:51:25 AM »

Now now, lets not be too terribly dismissive of the Brits and their systems of measuring volumes.  The imperial pint is a wonderful thing!

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #261 on: June 23, 2013, 08:40:41 AM »

Now now, lets not be too terribly dismissive of the Brits and their systems of measuring volumes.  The imperial pint is a wonderful thing!

Everyone knows they measure hectares per hogshead.

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #262 on: June 23, 2013, 09:19:28 AM »

Which is a measure of area, not volume.  You rocket scientists aren't that bright...

Grin

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
Monsterlover
The best kind of whore is a
Post Whore

I will save Skynet from Sarah Connor

« Reply #263 on: June 23, 2013, 09:35:56 AM »

Which is a measure of area, not volume.  You rocket scientists aren't that bright...

Grin

Its a wonder we ever got people into space.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time."--HST    **"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.  A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.  A man who works with his hands, brains, and heart is an artist."  -Louis Nizer**
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #264 on: June 23, 2013, 10:49:12 AM »

38 imperial mpg is 31 US mpg.  Still beats the crap out of any truck in the US. 

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
ungeheuer
ɹǝʌO d∩ uıɐןɐɹʇsn∀
Local Moderator
Post Whore

Often wrong. Never in doubt.

« Reply #265 on: June 23, 2013, 11:46:49 AM »

Hectares?  Now you're just being sensible  bang head.

They use acres.... all utterly nonsensical 4840 sq. yards of 'em. 

Pointy end Up.  It's not that hard  Wink Grin

Ducati 1100S Monster Ducati 1260ST Multistrada + Moto Guzzi Griso 1200SE

Previously: Ducati1200SMultistradaDucatiMonster696DucatiSD900MotoMorini31/2
LowThudd
"Here I come to save the Daaaay" says my

« Reply #266 on: June 25, 2013, 11:15:22 AM »

It may not be a Pickup(though I have seen more than a couple of "Conversions"), but I can get 27mpg in my 83 MB Diesel S-Class. Bought it for $2400 about 8 years ago, and has been mostley trouble free. Can easily haul the previously mentioned 500-800 pounds of junk, as long as it fits. lol

I have considered getting a beat up diesel wagon and chopping the top, but they are popular and run more expensive.
Skybarney
Fako

Feel free to PM me - No public replies.

« Reply #267 on: June 25, 2013, 11:32:14 AM »

Not a pickup but an excellent example of stupid:

In 1999 I was in Europe and saw the Mercedes Smart car for the first time.  I noticed not just because of it's size but because the guy in it was burning rubber!  I headed over to see about the car and got a great little tour.  50mpg diesel engine with a ton of torque and fun as heck to zip around the parking lot.  I thought "If that makes it to the USA it could make a fantastic commuter car".

Well a few years later I saw one here in The States.  35mpg and a gutless 3 cylinder motor......... Needless to say I now refer to it as the Mercedes stupid car..........

I had also rented a diesel Opel station wagon while there 45mpg fast as hell with four wheel Brembo brakes........ 

All we get in the States are stupid cars...............

Two things I don't do.  Keyboard bullies and hypocrites.
Feel free to PM me if needed, otherwise you will find me elsewhere.
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #268 on: June 25, 2013, 12:27:01 PM »

Looks pretty easy to me.  laughingdp

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
LowThudd
"Here I come to save the Daaaay" says my

« Reply #269 on: June 25, 2013, 01:49:52 PM »

Looks pretty easy to me.  laughingdp

Yup!  waytogo
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: