Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

September 12, 2024, 10:18:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please Help

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You're too stupid to... own a diesel small truck  (Read 250065 times)
LowThudd
"Here I come to save the Daaaay" says my

« Reply #300 on: July 01, 2013, 04:06:19 PM »

My antique diesel is cheap enough to run here. Diesel is currently 20 cents cheaper on average than RUG currently. When I switched from my well abused modified V8 T-Bird getting 10 MPG on super unleaded at a then all time high of $4.75, and my ne Merc was getting 25+mpg with diesel at under $4 a gal, it was a HUGE difference.  Grin
Triple J
« Reply #301 on: July 01, 2013, 07:35:56 PM »

That... and we had a CVT in our 2011 Subaru Outback... the driving dynamics *sucked*.  A regular geared auto is nicer to drive, IMO. 

+1. I had a CVT Murano...supposedly one of the nicer CVT trannies. F'ing horrible to drive. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #302 on: July 01, 2013, 08:33:46 PM »

<shrugs> meh, gimme a manual.

Easier to hyper-mile.  Wink

That... and we had a CVT in our 2011 Subaru Outback... the driving dynamics *sucked*.  A regular geared auto is nicer to drive, IMO.  Regardless, I would prefer a manual either way.

These guys used the 6-speed Passat TDI to get phenomenal mileage in a cross-country trip (77.99 mpg):

I prefer a manual too, but you aren't going to sell many of them to the general public.  It took me a few months to even find my Golf TDI in manual.

The CVT type is a better design for people who want an automatic and gets better mileage.

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
LowThudd

« Reply #303 on: July 01, 2013, 11:26:55 PM »

CVT just ain't for everyone. And to get better milage takes learning to drive differently. When my auto tranny finally goes, I plan on converting to manual. I already have several parts for the conversion.
the_Journeyman

Molly & Syreena, the Italian mistresses

« Reply #304 on: July 02, 2013, 10:58:36 AM »

Any thoughts on the Grand Cherokee in diesel?  I like the idea, but it pushes the vehicle up to $45K or more.  Not something I can really afford.  You have to select the Limited or higher trim level and then it's around a $4k option as well as adding an equipment package.

As far as CVT - My wife drives a Mazda2 and it gets great mileage.  If it had a CVT, it would be even better and she would likely not realize the difference.  Small cars with CVT would be a great way to get around town for errands and such.

JM

Got Torque?
ADULT TRUTHS

10. Bad decisions make good stories.
DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #305 on: July 02, 2013, 03:02:16 PM »

You have to select the Limited or higher trim level and then it's around a $4k option as well as adding an equipment package.

This will be the sort of thing that keeps diesel vehicles from becoming commonplace in the US auto market.  The US market needs to get away from the concept of package based purchasing.

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
suzyj

Does my bum look big on this?

« Reply #306 on: July 02, 2013, 03:17:33 PM »

...and this is where I'll insert a friendly reminder that this is getting political.

But apolitical yank bashing is still fair game, innit? I mean you lot don't even _play_ footy!

2007 Monster 695 with a few mods.
2013 Piaggio Typhoon 50 2 stroke speed demon.
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #307 on: July 02, 2013, 03:19:59 PM »

But apolitical yank bashing is still fair game, innit? I mean you lot don't even _play_ footy!

Go right for it and see.  Evil

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

DRKWNG
Local Moderator

« Reply #308 on: July 02, 2013, 03:26:01 PM »

But apolitical yank bashing is still fair game, innit?

I'll join in with you.

Cheesy

And the sugar fountain fairy swore so hard when she came to super-size that stale hope soybean; liiiike a homeless German woman. Who is this super-sizing spirit-crushing femme? And tell her I'll break a tree root up in her shrimp.

Being faster than you thought possible…it feels good. No, screw that—it feels like shotgunning a gallon of adrenaline and chasing it with an all-night orgy aboard a burning Viking boat.
LowThudd

« Reply #309 on: July 02, 2013, 04:14:35 PM »

Footy: I play footsie, just not with balls.  Grin
Speeddog
West Valley Flatlander
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

RIP Nicky

« Reply #310 on: July 02, 2013, 04:16:58 PM »

Oh, that's not true.

Lots of young schoolgirls here play footy, it's nearly as popular with them as jump-rope, I reckon.

Not many besides them, though.

cheeky

- - - - - Valley Desmo Service - - - - -
Reseda, CA

(951) 640-8908

~~~ "We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine." - Alberto Puig ~~~
Greg

« Reply #311 on: July 09, 2013, 03:41:06 PM »

Dodge Ram 1500 diesel, OK so it's not a small truck, but it is the first 1/2 ton diesel available in a long time. Would still love to have that Hilux diesel, sigh, maybe one day.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ecodiesel/

« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 03:44:33 PM by Greg » Logged

2012 M1100 Evo with Termis
LowThudd

« Reply #312 on: July 09, 2013, 03:49:14 PM »

That's cool. No word on fuel economy yet though. Still, the pre-07 Cummins was capable of +27mpg, and have more torque. With Banks tuning is capable of better than 30, or more power depending on need. I just, so far, do not see this as a "Better" engine. It is just in a lighter truck.
Greg

« Reply #313 on: July 09, 2013, 04:03:38 PM »

I figure this is just the first of many diesels, I just don't see how they are going to meet their CAFE targets without seriously improving the MPG of light trucks, and the easiest way to improve the MPG by 20-30% is to go diesel. I'm really hoping this truck is a big success for Dodge as it will encourage Ford to dust off their F150 diesel that almost came out 5 years ago.

2012 M1100 Evo with Termis
LowThudd

« Reply #314 on: July 09, 2013, 04:10:42 PM »

Very true, let's hope.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: