Ducati Monster Forum

powered by:

October 14, 2024, 11:11:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No Registration with MSN emails

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You're too stupid to... own a diesel small truck  (Read 252465 times)
Kev M
Italian Bike Nut

« Reply #780 on: January 27, 2015, 04:50:06 PM »

They're being sued over it:

At any rate last week, a federal judge ruled that a class action overheating & burn lawsuit against Harley-Davidson could go forward, siding with four bikers who claimed their Harley-Davidson motorcycles were defectively designed because their engines ran so hot as to pose a constant danger to riders of being burned and were therefore not fit for their intended use.

The complaint alleges that since 1999, Twin Cam 88, 96, 103 and 110 cubic inch engines in Harley motorcycles produce severe, excessive heat causing clothing to catch on fire, burn injuries and the danger of burn injury to riders and passengers as well as overheating causing premature engine wear and is in models manufactured after 2006, transmission failure.  Although Harley-Davidson asked the Eastern District of California court to throw out the claims under state law, the U.S. District Judge sided with the plaintiffs.

Linky https://nwhog.wordpress.com/2011/08/12/dancing-with-the-heat-dragons/

Again, I'd not hold the wisdom of our court system up as evidence of reality.

In my career I've seen auto manufacturers lose wrongful death lawsuits because:

A. An internally mounted spare tire broke free in an accident (even though the mount was modified by the owner).
B. The vehicle in question didn't have ABS brakes, even though the option existed, and possibly ABS might have saved the driver.

I'm not really a fan of the TC motors per set, they are ugh, excessive, but they have literally sold over 2M units and three or four morons managed to burn themselves on an EXHAUST SYSTEM and I'm supposed to accept that as a design flaw?

Newsflash, it's an internal combustion engine, the motor, especially the exhaust gets hot. If there was such a danger that it was inherent, I'd think a few more would come forward.

Shyte, how many women did Bill Cosby rape? Cause what something like 20 have come forward, so at the same rate of reporting to occurrence it would have to have been what 10M women. Cheesy

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III
16 FLHP (Police RK)
13 Guzzi V7
11 M696
Kev M
Italian Bike Nut

« Reply #781 on: January 27, 2015, 04:55:50 PM »

The RAM 1500 is already out with a diesel, but they're oppressively expensive.
What's "oppressively"? Honest question.

I'm under the impression diesels aren't cheap in the larger rigs either, but it's what an up to $5k upgrade in many MOPARs?

I'm looking to spend $40-50k on a new ride later this year. I was looking at AWD sporty cars, but changed over the last few months to considering mid-size and full-size trucks. The Ram 1500 included.

Maybe I'm already pricing trucks up so much with options that the additional of the diesel doesn't register as too significant. But I'm starting to lean away from them for other reasons. Including the fact that I really don't need a full-sized truck.

But a mid-size or compact could get my attention. Not on price, but on not wanting to haul that much truck around all the time.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III
16 FLHP (Police RK)
13 Guzzi V7
11 M696
ducpainter
The Often Hated
Flounder-Administrator
Post Whore

DILLIGAF

« Reply #782 on: January 27, 2015, 05:02:21 PM »

This thread is now getting really close to getting locked people.

It has nothing to do with lawsuits or Bill make the beast with two backsing Cosby's sexual habits.

Bring it back on topic...please.

"Once you accept that a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world in
 a completely different way than you, you will be open to understand how that
 perspective
    is even more amazing than yours."
    To realize the value of nine  months:
    Ask a mother who gave birth to a stillborn.
"Don't piss off old people The older we get, the less 'Life in Prison' is a deterrent.”

Kev M
Italian Bike Nut

Re:
« Reply #783 on: January 27, 2015, 05:09:55 PM »

Consider it done... Back to diesels.

I'm really curious about what the new Colorado will have when they launch the diesel.

I poked around a new GMC Canyon and it looks like a decent, "right-sized" rig.

I might go another way, but it's a contender even with the petrol V6.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III
16 FLHP (Police RK)
13 Guzzi V7
11 M696
herm

Ducati Monster Forum

« Reply #784 on: January 27, 2015, 05:58:42 PM »

If Toyota ever stepped up and put a diesel in the Tundra, I would be very interested.

Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty, and the pigs like it...
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #785 on: January 27, 2015, 06:07:10 PM »

they have an engine that fits, http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-200/features/performance/v8-turbo-diesel

Engine   
- Engine type   Diesel
- Engine code   1VD-FTV
- Capacity (cc)   4461
- Engine description   Eight cylinders, V formation, gear and chain driven, DOHC 32 valve, compacted graphite iron cylinder block and aluminium alloy heads
- Number of cylinders   8
- Configuration   V
- Head composition   Light alloy
- Valve gear type   DOHC
- Number of valves per cylinder   4
Fuel   
- Fuel type   Diesel
Power   
- Maximum power kW   195
- Rpm for maximum power   3400
- Maximum torque Nm   650
- Rpm for maximum torque   1600
Forced induction   
- Intercooler   Standard
Fuel system   
- Injection type   Diesel common rail
- Ignition type   Diesel
Fuel consumption - ADR 81/02   
- Fuel consumption - combined (L/100km)   10.3
- Fuel consumption - urban (L/100km)   12.0
- Fuel consumption - extra urban (L/100km)   9.4
Note: Fuel consumption will vary depending on driving conditions/style, vehicle conditions and options/accessories.
Emission control level   
- Combined co2 g/km   273
- Australia - greenhouse rating   4.5
- Australia - air pollution rating   3

Note: Kerb, tare & payload weights are nominal and will vary depending on options and tray/body type. Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) is the total permissible combined weight of the vehicle, including occupants, fuel and cargo.

Weights   
- Kerb weight (kg)   2640
- Gross vehicle mass (kg)   3350
- Gross trailer weight braked (kg)   3500
- Gross trailer weight unbraked (kg)   750
Note: Towing capacity subject to regulatory requirements, towbar design, vehicle design and towing equipment limitations. Ask your Dealer for details of Toyota Genuine Towbar capacity and availability.
Seating   
- Seating capacity   5
Cargo area dimensions   
- Cargo area height (mm)   1100
- Cargo area loading floor height (mm)   850
- Cargo area loadspace volume (L)   1431
Fuel tank - main   
- Capacity (L)   93
- Fuel type   Diesel
Fuel tank - auxiliary   
- Capacity (L)   45
- Fuel type   Diesel

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 06:13:45 PM by The Last In Line » Logged

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
DarkMonster620
According to some, a bottomless pit eating machine
Post Whore

Enjoying the ride

« Reply #786 on: January 27, 2015, 06:17:06 PM »

Also popular here:

ENGINE
Engine   
- Engine type   Diesel
- Engine code   1KD-FTV
- Capacity (cc)   2982
- Engine description   Four cylinder in-line, belt driven, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, twin balance shafts. Euro IV compliant
- Number of cylinders   4
- Configuration   In-line
- Head composition   Light alloy
- Valve gear type   DOHC
- Number of valves per cylinder   4
Fuel   
- Fuel type   Diesel
Power   
- Maximum power kW   127
- Rpm for maximum power   3400
- Maximum torque Nm   410
- Rpm for maximum torque   1600
Forced induction   
- Intercooler   Standard
Fuel system   
- Injection type   Diesel common rail
- Ignition type   Diesel
Fuel consumption - ADR 81/02   
- Fuel consumption - combined (L/100km)   8.5
- Fuel consumption - urban (L/100km)   10.6
- Fuel consumption - extra urban (L/100km)   7.3
Note: Fuel consumption will vary depending on driving conditions/style, vehicle conditions and options/accessories.
Emission control level   
- Combined co2 g/km   225
- Australia - greenhouse rating   5.5
- Australia - air pollution rating   3
Note: Kerb, tare & payload weights are nominal and will vary depending on options and tray/body type. Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) is the total permissible combined weight of the vehicle, including occupants, fuel and cargo.

Weights   
- Kerb weight (kg)   2210
- Gross vehicle mass (kg)   2990
- Gross combination mass (kg)   5490
- Gross trailer weight braked (kg)   2500
- Gross trailer weight unbraked (kg)   750
Note: Towing capacity subject to regulatory requirements, towbar design, vehicle design and towing equipment limitations. Ask your Dealer for details of Toyota Genuine Towbar capacity and availability.
Seating   
- Seating capacity   5
Fuel tank - main   
- Capacity (L)   87
- Fuel type   Diesel
Fuel tank - auxiliary   
- Capacity (L)   63
- Fuel type   Diesel

Carlos
I said I was smart, never that I had my shit together
Ducati is the pretty girl that can't walk in heels without stumbling. I still love her.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Zaster
Only Pam can touch my

2007 S4RS (sold) , 2008 1098S (sold), 2013 1199R,

« Reply #787 on: January 27, 2015, 07:23:23 PM »

I still think that the cost structure of diesel vs. gas being the opposite in Europe compared to the US has a lot to do with the popularity of using diesel engines in small trucks or even cars over here.
The increased cost of the diesel engine is offset by the lower fuel costs in Europe.
With diesel being a less refined product than gasoline I'd guess it should cost less to manufacture  Roll Eyes

Popeye the Sailor
For $50 you can touch my
Post Whore

« Reply #788 on: January 27, 2015, 08:53:09 PM »

Diesel wrangler with the Brute conversion?

If the state had not cut funding for the mental institutions, this project could never have happened.
Ducatamount

« Reply #789 on: January 28, 2015, 02:42:21 AM »

Nice, I'd use that one.
With a roll cage, different rims, hd bumper/winch, skid plate, Kid Rock blastin' and a cooler full... laughingdp

half fast
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #790 on: January 28, 2015, 04:47:50 AM »

What is your budget and what do you classify as "small-medium"? Is a half-ton a medium sized truck?

this is close.. it's still big though..
http://gas2.org/2011/01/09/video-not-for-america-ranger-diesel-tows-160-ton-train/
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:51:51 AM by ducatiz » Logged

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
duccarlos
Local Moderator

« Reply #791 on: January 28, 2015, 06:36:48 AM »

What's "oppressively"? Honest question.

I'm under the impression diesels aren't cheap in the larger rigs either, but it's what an up to $5k upgrade in many MOPARs?

I'm looking to spend $40-50k on a new ride later this year. I was looking at AWD sporty cars, but changed over the last few months to considering mid-size and full-size trucks. The Ram 1500 included.

Maybe I'm already pricing trucks up so much with options that the additional of the diesel doesn't register as too significant. But I'm starting to lean away from them for other reasons. Including the fact that I really don't need a full-sized truck.

But a mid-size or compact could get my attention. Not on price, but on not wanting to haul that much truck around all the time.

You're at the right range. I went through the "Build and Price" and it came out to $53,955. I wasn't so impressed with the gas mileage, but it's definitely a start.

my keyboard just served me with paternity suit.
MendoDave
« Reply #792 on: January 28, 2015, 07:35:46 AM »

That is a full size truck.
Kev M
Italian Bike Nut

« Reply #793 on: January 28, 2015, 08:18:58 AM »

You're at the right range. I went through the "Build and Price" and it came out to $53,955. I wasn't so impressed with the gas mileage, but it's definitely a start.

When I was researching I think I spec'd a Crew Cab Laramie 4x4 w/ Diesel and a very nicely appointed interior (leather, heated and cooled memory seats, NAV etc) for about $49-50k.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III
16 FLHP (Police RK)
13 Guzzi V7
11 M696
ducatiz
No trellis. no desmo. = Not Ducati.
Post Whore

« Reply #794 on: January 28, 2015, 08:50:28 AM »

That is a full size truck.

close, but they didn't used to be. 

But I just found out that Chevy is offering the Colorado with two diesel mills:

http://www.chevrolet.com/colorado-small-truck/specs/powertrain.html?%3Fseo=ysm_%7C_GM+Chevy+Retention-X9223686_%7C_GMNA%7CUS%7CCHV%7CBING%7CS%7CBP%7CA%7CEX%7CRTN%7CCOL%7CMPU%7C%28null%29%7C%28null%29%7CBI-Colorado-RTN-Exact_%7C_Sitelinks_%7C_2015+colorado

Check out my oil filter forensics thread!                     Offended? Click here
"Yelling out of cars, turning your speakers out the window to blast your music onto the street, setting off M-80 firecrackers, firing automatic weapons into the air—these are all well and good. But none of them create a merry atmosphere of insouciance and bonhomie quite like a revving motorcycle.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: